Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I saw on another forum several 48 users picking up 5G sporadically. Could be testing before a wider rollout maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

I got it up north without any need for messing with settings. Speed was about the same as home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭beachhead

The settings could be from a previous provider for some people

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

That's because Proximus provides 48 with roaming services so 48 SIMs effectively become Proximus SIMs for roaming purposes and therefore need a separate (Proximus) APN profile when abroad.

The switchover should happen automatically but this doesn't seem to happen for many and therefore they have to manually switch between domestic and roaming APNs.

So try 'Network Selection' set to 'Automatic' first. If that doesn't work, then manually choose 'International Roaming Profile' when roaming and change back to 'Local Home Profile' when you're back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

As Quackster mentioned Proximus provides the roaming for 48, which is ironic because I wasn't able to get roaming data working any of the three times I was in Belgium recently. I spent a good half an hour each time messing with settings. Automatic, manual, manually selected different providers and nothing would work for me. Vodafone eSIM connected straight away each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭muffinhead

I've been able to roam on EE in the UK but you have to set it manually:

Sim Toolkit -> When Abroad -> Network Selection -> Manual -> International Roaming Profile

It should automatically connect to EE after this adjustment but if not do a manual network search and select it yourself. In my experience EE has much better 3G data speeds than O2 - I was getting 7-14Mbps on EE compared to 2-4Mbps with O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Sn@kebite

Is anyone getting slow or broken connection for data on 48? Started last Thursday the connection to 4g seems unstable with 48. Others in my family have the same problem. Videos stutter and break connection now and then.

My friend uses a three sim and has a bit of a problem also and I think 48 uses Three as they are owned by Three.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭PopTarts

I’m trying to add a Revolut card to my Apple Wallet and it’s saying it’s sending a code to my phone to verify but code not coming through. Other codes seem to come through for verification. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Email in from 48 this morning called "Planning on heading abroad?"

Hi,

We are aware some 48 customers have had trouble connecting to services while roaming.

Sometimes the handset & SIM don’t make an immediate connection to the roaming network, so the SIM needs some additional help to get connected.

If you do experience this, don’t worry, you can manually connect to a network by carrying out a few simple steps.

Visit our community roaming troubleshooting guide here before you jet off, so you know what to do if you should experience this. ​

Was up in Derry yesterday and couldn't pick up a network or a signal at all, regardless of how many times I restarted the phone, or turned on and off airplane mode.

Admittedly I was trying to do it by searching for a mobile network and everything was coming up with (forbidden) in the name of the network, instead of going in through the simcard toolkit and "going abroad" option like they say to do, so I can't let 48 take the blame. It was only when I was well south of Drogheda that I remembered something about the sim toolkit and it was too late to try it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

• Advertisement

Checks:are turn on data roaming when correct settings are entered for roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭jimmyjim11

any one getting errors on ryanair when using 48 get Oops error have another go

if i use wifi or vpn it works🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

I'm in the process of switching to 48 from three.

Besides porting my number (currently underway), is there anything I need to do? i.e. do I need to follow up separately with three to cancel my account or does porting the number result in three closing my account. I am bill pay, but the contract has expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭GIMP

When the port of the number is completed successfully your 3 account will be closed automatically.

Was in Northern Ireland on Saturday 2nd April.2 numbers on 48.No service at all on one number.No data or incoming/outgoing calls on the 2nd phone but managed to get 2 sms out on 2nd phone after a while-maybe an hour wait each time.Phones were as always as per 48 settings and up to date.Connection on 2nd phone was intermittent to non existent too.Obviously trying to cut down on roaming costs.AVOID.CRAP COMPANY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

Bring using 48 for the last 8 months or so and working well so far but haven't been abroad yet to try out roaming.

Does anyone know is it possible to use the same email for 2 different numbers or would they need to seperate email addresses?

Post edited by lolie on

Seperate emails or the first number you receive will be deleted and replaced with the second.England,Spain,France are not a problem so far but N.Ireland is for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭lolie

Yeah just see that in the Support section, pity they don't have a family account as it would be very handy for parents signing up teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

Weird I haven't had any issues up the north. Furthest I usually go is Enniskillen though. Edinburgh was fine last year too. I'd be a little more wary about travelling around Europe. Last place I visited pre-pandemic was St. Petersburg where obviously there was nothing so I got a local sim. I don't recall it working on the layover in Amsterdam either.

I'll be putting it to the test this year so I guess we'll see. If we can get 4G abroad from July 1st for €8 then this is an absolute steal!

If you have a Gmail account, just use different versions of the same address by putting one or more full stops into the address for each additional 48 account.

• Advertisement

dots don't work at least not for me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Try putting a plus and some text before the @ for example if your email is email@gmail.com then something like email+blah@gmail.com will also work. Gmail will just ignore the bit after the plus.

My email is firstname.surname@gmail.com, I set up an account for my mother by sending it to firstname.surname+mom48@gmail.com. Works great.

Another option is if your Gmail address is whatever@gmail.com, then use whatever@googlemail.com instead. Works a treat too.

I got a very high speed test today in Limerick.

I've a 5g handset, bit it's still reporting as 4g

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

In Spain first time outside Uk and Ireland since I got 48, absolutely no service. 3 out of 4 of us on 48 thankfully I left my wife’s phone on Three. Won’t be staying with them. Their roaming guide of absolutely no use.

Sounds awful, did you try those suggestions from 48, or did they just not work?

Revolut and 48 have been a problem since last Dec for me-b4 that not really an issue.Same for me this year-code does come thru,no 3D secure page opening.I'm on Android.I think there is an authentication issue going on with 48 as a retailer.I would love to know what.Of,course 48 support claim to know the solution-change browser,use the gift shop,cut and paste links they provide in chat etc but nothing works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭spakman

When I arrived in France and selected international roaming profile, I couldn't connect to data. Checked settings and my APN settings had been lost!

Had to add 48months.liffeytelecom.com and then connected straight away :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

try this or just change the APN to 48months.liffeytelecom.com and leaving everything else blank. It might work!

Advertisement