Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Malazan Book of the Fallen Series

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I actually had a post written out to say I thought Bonehunters was the best book in the series whether that would make you feel better or worse, but obviously forgot to hit the post button! I remember thinking it was a good solid Malazan book and next thing maybe half way through it just blew up. Glad to hear your experience is a good one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Blew up being the correct term to use.🤣

Finished The Bonehunters, I think its left me a little underwhelmed to be fair. The first big set piece was really enjoyable but after that Im not so sure. Definitly was a solid Malazan story but I felt that the middle of the book went over my head. Also the closing section sort of lost me again completely.☹️

After a Malazan break ive started Reapers Gale.. There must be something in these books that keep me coming back for more..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I gave up on them about 80% into book 9. Book 9 was totally pointless and meandered aimlessly imo. Prob will read a summary of book 10 and park them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd stick at it. In the introduction to Dust of Dreams, Erikson does say that it's only the first part of a two-part story. He apparently doesn't like that sort of thing but it was the only way he could do it. The Crippled God is a fantastic book and it's great way to wrap it all up. Honestly, it's worth it. Dust of Dreams does have a strong ending as well.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

30% through and have not a clue whats happening with some of the story arcs, im close to breaking I think. Too many new characters, I dont even know what side there on sometimes...

Reapers Gale eventually finished. My god half of that book could of been left out and it would have made no difference. Need a few days to decide if I take straight into Toll of Hounds but my gut is telling me to take a malazan break.

*Edit: Change of plan im going straight into Toll of Hound...

Post edited by Glebee on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Quite enjoyed the God is Not Willing. I thought the changes and developments it showed occuring throughout the Empire were very interesting.

40% through Toll the Hounds, this is really a struggle and I feel like just packing it in. Only reason im still going is that ive come to far at this stage to just quit. Again the same as Reapers gale alot of stuff about nothing or maybe it just all going over my head.

• Advertisement

Surprised you'd be struggling tbh. TtH is where a lot of the plot threads start to get tied together. The journey with Karsa and Traveller is a bit slow alright, but the climax is pretty amazing

Still only 70% through Toll the Hound. Sweet Jesus this is a slog. If this was book 3 or 4 I’d have given up on Malazan completely I think.

I gave up 70% into book 9, zero regrets

I only have vague memories of TtH. The journeys of convergence and the subplot with the police officer and murderer were a little show. It has a pretty amazing climax tho.

Eventually finished Toll the Hounds. My god that nearly finished me with Malazan. Absolutely hated it and the thoughts of starting another Malazan book is not good. Although Book 9 cant be as poor as Book 8 im hoping. Think im definitely due a Malazan break at this stage. Will I be back?? Probably at some stage as ive come so far I just cant give up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

My experience with Malazan is that they're probably the worst books I've seen for just picking up from time to time. Much better to slog through if possible. I thought book 10 ended the series brilliantly though.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I thought book 8 was grand, enjoyed it after the first slog st the start. I really couldn't handle book 9 at all, gave up on it. No regrets... yet... I'd take a break for a day or two but don't leave it too long or else you'll never come back! I'd advise you to at least give it a go.

That's interesting, I've generally seen folks extoll TtH online. What was it that you found off-putting?

The storyline went completely over my head. I can honestly say I had not a clue what was happening and 3 weeks after finishing if I had to write a quick summary I'd be really struggling to remember anything. That's saying something from a really large book. I did not think that would happen so far into the series. Just hated it but stuck it out to try to get to the end. Have just started Dust of Dreams and after only 5% in I get a different feeling about this one that I will enjoy it more.

60% through Dust of Dream.. Im sure theres a story here somewhere but my god this is hard work in parts. Majority could be just wiped and it would have no impact on the story. Ive come too far to quit and am avoiding just reading chapter spoilers to get book 9 and 10 read and move onto something more forgiving.

• Advertisement

Got to 70% and just deleted, it was turning into such a chore to try and read that the thought of trying to finish this and then start book 10 was just too much. Lifes too short to slog through books you dont like imo. Overall really liked books 1 - 7 but Book 8 and 9 just finished me with Malazan. Anyway onto something that I can understand and dont have to read a chapter summary after reading each chapter.

Same for me Glebee, no regrets left it in the same place as you did

I cant believe but ive gone back to try and complete Dust of Dreams.. It was gnawing at the back of my mind constantly since I put it down. maybe I just needed a break away from it.

Book 9 eventually finished. In a way I'm glad I went back to finish it out. Don't know if I'll ever start book 10 though. Usual final epic set piece but was it worth having to wade through, I don't know. Overall I find myself enjoying the main Malazan army story arch but some of the other groups are way over my head

I thought The Crippled God was a great end to the series. I say go for it.

H. H. Asquith

The last two are quite a bit apart from the other books I thought. From what I remember, they're obviously more tightly focused. I was hoping they would do more with Paran and the Master of the Deck stuff myself.

Also, love your signature quote ACD, been meaning to compliment you on it all week.

H. H. Asquith

Book 10 - The Crippled God started, might be finished by end of the year all going well...... Wish me luck.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Kept seeing this thread over the years. Not really a fantasy fan, but just blindly bought Gardens of the Moon to see what the fuss is about. Know nothing other than it's worth the effort of sticking with it.

Nate

Advertisement