Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Calf passing dark colour dung

• 10-03-2022 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

I’ve a 2 day old calf and he has passed a few bits of dung after sucking. They are solid but blackish/tar colour. But there’s no red blood. His vital signs are healthy and he is sucking. Have any of ye come across this before? Does it come normal itself or is there something up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭tanko

Maybe i’m wrong but as long as he’s he’s sucking, in good form and carrying on as normal i wouldn’t be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭Jb1989

As long as he's suckling milk and not blocked tits. Dung should start to change colour anytime now if milk is being swallowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Thanks Tanko and JB. I’ll keep an eye on it. Something I haven’t noticed before going on this long anyway. Hopefully it’s just the stomach getting going. At least it’s solid not runny and he’s passing it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Calves usually don't dung inside the cow and their first dung after birth called meconium is usually black, It is passed within the first 24 hrs and usually pushed out after the first feed of colostrum

Cheers Wrangler. That’s put me at ease. When I think about it he was born Monday night but it was Tuesday before he passed dung to my eyes and it was always dark. Never the yellow colour yet. He a CH so he was a bit slow getting going but did suck after the first hour. All I could think about was internal bleeding. He sucked good this morning and he’s in a straw bed away from the cow so I’ll see what he passes this evening. He’s a Dovea Mark bull calf. Fine calf actually. Thanks for the input guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

while it's natural you'd like to see it changing colour now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The worry with dark coloured dung from calves is usually coccidiosis, however a 2 days it should still have immunity from the mother, from a week onwards its more possible, maybe i'm wrong on this but its what i've been told

chances are this calf will clear up once bowel gets moving food through from the stomach

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

No this isn’t coccidiosis. Just seems to be slow passing dung. He didn’t pass any after sucking tonight while I was there. Did pass urine though. I take them back off the cows for the night. He’s healthy in all other senses and a fine calf. Will watch out again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

It can take a few days for the dung to become normal after birth, if he's healthy In every other way I wouldn't worry about it

• Advertisement

Passed a bit more normal looking dung this morning. His comrade who is the same age as him is passing the more stereotypical colour dung. It was more him that drew my attention to the other chap. Hope we’ve turned the corner. Thanks for the advice guys

Advertisement