Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin HRM strap battery life and reliability

• 09-03-2022 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

Hi. I bought a Garmin 530 bundle about 18 mths ago. Very happy with it except for the HRM strap. I've read that the battery life is typically 18 months but I seem to have had to change battery about 4 or 5 times in 18 mths. Anyone on here have similar and advise if this is normal or not? At the moment it doesn't seem to be working at all, despite swapping between a few elastic straps. Thinking of buying a Wahoo Tickr to replace it. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What you describe is exactly how my last Garmin HRM expired. It was the older ANT+ model. I replaced it (18 months ago) with another Garmin HRM that is both ANT+ and Bluetooth and so far it has been fine. I've had similar issues with Garmin speed, cadence and speed & cadence sensors so I've been slowly switching to Wahoo. When the current HRM gives up the ghost I'll get a Ticker - they're similarly priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭Ryath

Where are you getting your batteries? The ones out of the likes of Dealz are useless. Get Duracell, Varta or Energiser ones. My most recent garmin HRM is over 6 years old now. I think I'm on my third battery but I can only remember changing it once.

Post edited by Ryath on

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭wheelo01

But, on the off chance that it is the unit, contact Garmin, they feckin hate their products being "bad mouthed"

I recently sent a customer query about a "fitness tracker" , they told me to return it, then sent a new (possibly refurbished, no clue) one, free of charge.

I have a similar problematic Hrm, but stupidly listened to a guy in a shop, bought a new unit and strap as he told me they weren't sold separately, then looked it up and found they are.

Contact Garmin first, you may be surprised.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Do you unclip the monitor part with the batteries from the strap when not in use?

Do this and the battery lasts much longer.

You only need to unclip one side too

If it's the one piece one, can't help

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Thanks for the replies. This is a dual (ant + Bluetooth unit). The speed and cadence sensors which came with the bundle are still on original batteries and have been faultless.

I've only used Duracell batteries

I don't unclip when not in use. Good idea. I have a few straps to rotate when I wash them.

I will contact Garmin worth a try anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭JMcL

I've an older Garmin (probably 9 years or so at this stage) and I've only had to change the batteries a handful of times. I did go through a period of a few years of not really using it, but I'm back using it now a I'm trying to do some structured training.

Pardon in advance for asking the obvious, but I assume you're wetting the electrodes when you put it on? I forget to do that every now and again, and it can be a while before I work up enough of a sweat for the head unit to pick it up - if it does at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I assume it's the Garmin HRM Dual that came in the bundle?

I have the Garmin HRM Run version for about 10 months. I've changed the battery once. Previously I had the Wahoo Tickr (first gen) and quite often it would get erratic for the first section of a run or cycle jumping to max readings and then settle down after 5 minutes or so which is not great if average HRM is of value to you. It wouldn't happen always but enough times to be annoying. A disadvantage of the Garmin HRM Run is that it's all one piece which makes washing the strap less easy.

Changing the battery so often in your case would most likely indicate a fault somewhere which is draining power. Hopefully Garmin support will sort you out.

Thanks folks. Yes I am wetting the electrodes when putting it on but it makes no difference. Contacted Garmin support last night and they had an email back to me this morning asking for proof of purchase and the serial number and if within 2 yr warranty it sounds like they are just going to send out a replacement. So result! Thanks for replies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Garmin replaced my out of warranty 1030 has it had screen burn around the edges and they'd done a recall.

All done and dusted. Have to say the Garmin support is very good based on this experience. Very fast turnaround to emails. My new HRM dual is being shipped free of charge and no need to send the old one back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement