Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which bourbon

Options
  • 09-03-2022 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I normally drink Whiskey, however I would like to try a nice bourbon. Any recommendation up to 80 euros?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I often like to keep a few bottles of Bourbon in the house myself, as I am partial to treating myself to an good old fashioned at home everyone now and then but I find it difficult to get places that sell a good range of bourbon to be honest. I would normally pick up what's in Tesco or SuperValu which is usually Bulleit or Buffalo Trace (Between €35 to €45 normally). However I was gifted an bottle of Mitchers Small Batch Christmas last year and I found it excellent, I've enjoyed it straight up or with just a drop of water and it as very enjoyable drink. I see you can get it in The Celtic Whiskey shop for €78 currently. You may get it cheaper if you shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bourbon is whiskey!

I find Maker's Mark to be a decent reliable drop - reasonably priced, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭FlicFlak

My go-to bourbon is Eagle Rare 10 year old, its in Obriens sometimes on sale for €50. Cant go wrong with that one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Bulleit or Woodford Reserve are my go to.

Someone gave me Woodford Reserve double oaked recently and I really like that too.

Yeah, I'd go with Woodford Reserve too. Maker's Mark a close second.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Eagle Rare 10 would be my main suggestion. Good abv and chewy mouth feel, good age for the money and fairly available. It is better than more expensive bourbons at times.

After that probably Elijah Craig Small batch, which is a non age statement and trading on its name a little, but still under your budget.

Of what is below that, I like regular Buffalo Trace for sipping and mixing. Maker’s Mark for exclusively mixing.

Wild Turkey 101 is considered good value and has a notably good abv for the price also.

I feel like this thread also won’t be complete till someone comes in and recommends Redbreast or some other random favourite Irish whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭Ardent

My two favourite bourbons are Woodford Reserve Double Oaked and Bulleit. Bulleit can be picked up easily in Tesco and is sometimes on special.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭diyeys

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I sure have some options now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If you ever come across Texas Legation Bourbon, I'd buy it.

It is the most interesting bourbon I've tasted (which is not very many).

Just waiting for someone to insist that bourbon must come from Kentucky! 😜

I also have fond memories of tasting 4 Roses Bourbon - twas years ago, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Just got a bottle of Old Forester from Tesco in Derry and am really enjoying it.

• Advertisement

Just treated myself to a few bottles for Christmas.

Another bottle of Old Forester, Wild Turkey 101 and Bulleit 10yr Old

Post edited by dinorebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

70 year old? Wow! Must have set you back a bit? 😊

Yeah just edited that😁

Advertisement