Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Internal transfer

• 08-03-2022 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all

I am just wondering did any of ye transfer internally in the civil service? I don’t want to do mobility because I’m happy with my department but I’m really not happy in my current role. Any suggestions what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hydration

Are you asking can you transfer within your department or to another department without going through mobility and an open competition? Are you a CO, EO or HEO?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 simo999

hi thanks for the reply, to transfer within my own department. I’m an EO.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Kirbi

If you're happy in your org and location, then you should just have a chat with HR and/or managers to ask for a move. Of course, whether or not you talk to your managers may depend on your relationship with them.

Something I've also seen done in the past is to put it in your PMDS with a note that it's for career progression, but that was generally when a person wanted to move to a particular team.

That’s a good idea thanks for your help, I’ve touched base with HR. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hydration

This is really at the discretion of HR and can be quite difficult to achieve. Speaking from experience I found that several divisions fight to retain and keep staff in particular roles within the department and can be quite difficult to get a move or to get them to release you. Your argument might be stronger if there is a health issue involved, I have seen many people get moved/transferred for this reason. Your argument to justify a move to another role will be quite weak if you simply state that you don’t like the role. I would advise to write an email to HR requesting a transfer internally, outline the reasons why, outline your skills/experience and finish by saying you would be grateful if they would consider your request. You have nothing to lose but it will be difficult.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much, I will try that. I think I’ve valid reasons to move hopefully they’ll take it onboard. Thanks again

Advertisement