Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

House in Annamoe Park - am I missing something?!

• 08-03-2022 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I've been looking to buy a gaff in a couple of areas within a radius of town for 2 years now. Not great timing with Covid but trying to work with what's there.

I've been outbid on a handful in the last 12 months in particular and have gotten used to the cadence of viewings, bidding etc to know what's falling outside the usual pattern. A house in Annamoe Park, Cabra is one of those.

I couldn't make the first viewing but went to the second one a week later. I was the only one there (strange these days), there's only been one bid in over 3 weeks on the market (also strange), under asking (strange again!) and I just can't figure out why.

I've done the usual research - news archives, flooding maps, council planning applications, asking aunties of friends who live there, etc. No clues as to why this property just ain't "hot" like others in close proximity lately. Bit of a long shot but figure might as well throw it out to the wider world to see what shakes out.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

Wasn't there something in the news where there was houses siezed by the Criminal Assets Bureau a couple of years ago. I'd say there wouldn't be a mad rush to buy any of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

Might be a few bad neighbours in the vicinity, a bit of anti social behaviour? was anyone murdered in it or maybe died in it always affects the price or it might belong to baddies and CAB are selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

If its this one, probably the size as its only 56SQM, that's a comfortable size for a one bed apartment.

Aside from that Hamilton Gardens (500 apartments 5 mins drive away) opens in April which could cause capacity issues considering its already difficult to find a dentist/GP

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭HazeDoll

Check the green areas for tyre tracks. The last time I spent a night in that area (2006, I think) there were stolen cars doing donuts on the green all night. In the corner shop the next day I watched a group of seven-year-olds terrorising the Philippine lady behind the counter. My friend who I was there visiting had his car stolen two weekends in a row. Nothing could induce me to buy in that particular area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 designnerd

Yep, that's the very one. My new account is too new to post links yet 😅

Well aware of the size and price per sqm but that's where things are at right now and I don't see it changing. Anything with an extension goes for up around €380.

Hamilton Gardens will post a challenge for essential amenities the area in general but I'd hope it might bring some in too with the commercial spaces?

Must have a dig for CAB info. Sadly have a feeling it might be that kinda back story.

• Advertisement

This area once had 'a bad name' there may be still a few houses of dodgy people. I'm general though, it's very quiet. Good location. House is small and needs some work, but all in all, it's pretty good.

If you like it OP, go for it. Before I buy it before you 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8 designnerd

From what I can see in the news coverage, properties were on Killalla, Ratoath and St Attracta Roads. Average turnaround time I've witnessed from going on market to sale agree for these gaffs in most parts of Cabra is 3 weeks!

I'm still very skeptical on Hamilton Gardens being a positive tbh, there will be very few paying the full market rent! There's also another 117 unit apartment development potentially planned for right beside Hamilton Gardens also.

Specifically though regarding Annamoe Park, there isn't any 'dodgy' people on that road imo and if you can deal with the size (considering its roughly 3,000 per sqm for an extension) i would pull the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

A friend lived on Annamoe Terrace and had no issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Cabra is too bleak and dodgy for my taste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Sometimes it just does be like that, OP. When we bought not too far away in Cabra in 2019, we were the only ones at the viewing, and managed to buy for 40k under the asking. Still to this day don't understand why, it was a motivated probate sale and there was remediation work needed, but I still feel like we got great value (for Dublin concepts of "great value" of course!).

Some pretty funny stuff in these replies:

• some lad who last visited Cabra in 2006 advising you to look out for joyriders... ok
    • usual NIMBYism. Truth is posh new developments like Hamilton Gardens lead to better services over time, there's a lot of issues with gentrification but "not being able to see a doctor" is not one of them. Also, Annamoe Park is right adjacent to Grangegorman campus, the site of probably the most intensive rejuvenation in Dublin outside of Poolbeg
    • Concerns about extension costs - 3k per sqm is not a problem when 2nd hand properties in the area are currently selling for 5k per sqm.

and as usual, people who cant distinguish between the vast, admittedly bleak hinterlands of West Cabra/Broombridge, vs East Cabra which is now essentially sandwiched and integrated between Grangegorman and Phibsborough.

As I say, I own a gaff around there so I obviously have my own motivated reasoning, but a lot of posters on this dying forum are fairly detached from reality.

e: OTOH, looking at the state of that wiring job in the living room you're probably going to be shelling out 5-6k for rewiring, maybe a few K for replumbing at the same time if it's gun-barrel pipework, maybe asbestos removal for another couple K, so if you do go ahead get a good survey done and may God smile upon you

As do I live here, still living at home and originally wanted to buy but opted to keep saving for somewhere else. the thing with "posh new developments" is the REIT is only delighted to take HAP, wont be many people paying the full 2200 blips for a 2-bed themselves.

Have you tried to get a dentist appointment recently lol or sign up to one?

and as usual, people who cant distinguish between the vast, admittedly bleak hinterlands of West Cabra/Broombridge, vs East Cabra which is now essentially sandwiched and integrated between Grangegorman and Phibsborough.

Arguably the roughest part of Cabra is St Attracta Road, which is Cabra East!

Not to mention there's been an exodus out of Phibsbourough recently in anticipation of all the Co-living units that have been approved.

St Attracta is arguably rough, although 2 of my mates had a house there for 5 years and had no complaints, but there was a driveby on the road in that same time period so fair enough. Wouldn't live there myself but I'd still rate it above the bit by Broombridge or the mazelike estates past the Bogie Park, nothing there but bored young fellas roaming around.

I've actually signed up and used both medical and dental services locally recently, so yep, it's fine.

And yeah I think plenty of young professionals will happily go halves on a 2200 pm new build flat tbh, that doesnt remotely surprise me. I also don't think people on HAP are Uruk-hai being airdopped in to pillage and destroy, they're almost all just regular people trying to get by. And I think that "Phibsborough exodus" is completely imaginary, and again, NIMBYism in its purest form.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

Was there ever a tragic death there? That can sometimes be a factor that is kept low key.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

St Attracta is arguably rough, although 2 of my mates had a house there for 5 years and had no complaints, but there was a driveby on the road in that same time period so fair enough. Wouldn't live there myself but I'd still rate it above the bit by Broombridge or the mazelike estates past the Bogie Park, nothing there but bored young fellas roaming around.

I can think of 2 h*tmen that live in Cabra East off the top of my head lol, everyone knows who they are, well maybe not blow ins but everyone else. The driveby your referring to is the least of it, literally tip of the iceberg.

Anyways call me a nimby all you like but as you've said

" I own a gaff around there so I obviously have my own motivated reasoning"

I dont own a gaf but lived here my whole life and know the place inside out and don't really have any vested interest, i personally wont/wouldn't want to live in either East/West when I choose to buy. But as i've mentioned above for the money the value is very good in today's market.

I can think of a load of hot men in Cabra East too, I'm just one such example

OP, I would be very aware of anti social behaviour in cabra. I live quite close.

There is nothing to be worried about living in this house. It's not anywhere near West cabra, which would be the 'worst ' part.

It's a good location and a good house

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Looks like a sewer pipe close to the back of the house, which might be an issue when it comes to building an extension. That could be putting people off.

Might be worth investigating that issue, and also speak with the neighbours about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 evilcowforever

Similar query to OP, a house on Annamoe Drive has been up a good few weeks on Daft with no bids (119), and another has come back on the market that was up previously (44), something to be concerned about? Usually properties in the area go fairly quickly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,154 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Overpriced. Low energy rating, significant work required. Bathroom in 119 for two bedrooms is downstairs, so only shower may be in the ensuite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭herbalplants

No offence but Cabra is highly overpriced.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TangoThree3

Bought earlier this year on the road and the area / road has been grand so far. I wouldn't be paying €400k for one though.

In saying that, we've sunk about €80k into modernising ours since we got keys though (roof, electrics, gas, plumbing, etc..) so they do need quite a bit of work if it hasn't been done recently.

Eh, depends. Everywhere is overpriced, and East Cabra at least is a quiet suburb on the Green Line and a short walk from City Centre.

FWIW, I bought in East Cabra for a decent price in 2019, and while I'm always amazed at the 2023 prices I'm seeing, they seem kinda in line with the huge market distortions everywhere in Dublin City

Advertisement