Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work from home for Ukraine #wfh4ukraine

• 07-03-2022 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭

So that we can help break our dependance on Russian oil and gas let's bring in a national work from home immediately.

This needs to happen anyway to combat climate change, but that never seems to be seen as an immediate concern.

Calling on the government to expand remote working hubs so they are available to all workers who can use them, tax employers to fund. We've shown it can be done for covid, let's do it for Ukraine.

Calling on any business who can allow employees to work from home to do so. #wfh4ukraine on linkedin

I'm not much for social media so feel free to share this post and #wfh4ukraine

*Ideally wfh would mean working from a well, insulated nearby remote hub. The kind of infrastructure we need to tackle climate change anyway. If you have a longer commute you'll still likely use far less russian fossil fuels by working from a single heated room at home.

Post edited by MegamanBoo on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I thought this would be viral by now. C'mon. Has to happen.

I'm surprised no-one struggling with crazy commuting costs is jumping on this.

Might happen anyway if we have to ration. Let's get ahead of the curve and get the infrastructure in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If employers had an ounce of sense they'd halt the back to office push. Workers commuting are going to go through a world of financial hurt in the next year if this conflict runs and runs. The Great Resignation Mk.2 is on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Its going to be a world of financial hurt for employees who don't have the option to work from home too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭hamburgham

And for all the businesses dependent on office buildings and workers. The government doesn’t want these record levels of savings, they want people spending. Far less money spent when wfh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

Weren't you on here a few weeks ago cribbing about having to pay a tenner for these hubs.

Now it's let somebody else pay for these hubs because........Ukraine.

That's a fairly sh1tty way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,031 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Exactly, too much skin in the commercial property game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Just get everyone cycling or ebiking to work, best of both worlds. Office support business eco system survives, no expensive fuel for commutes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Whats the corelation between wfh and russian gas/oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,904 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Prices going up and reduced supply of oil will likely weaken resolve against Russia. Sanctions against russia will cost us, and I wonder if rationing if any kind was needed (limited fuel for cars or heating, rolling blackouts, that kind of thing but wheat shortages is another one to watch), would people call on their governments to deal with Russia again and let russia have Ukraine.

Communing costs fuel, whether in cars or busses. Fewer people commuting means using less fuel and that lessens the impact of the sanctions on US. I presume that's the idea the OP is driving at.

• Advertisement

Thanks, that's very much the idea I'm driving at. Prior to the introduction of more widespread wfh during covid, transport made up 40% of our c02 usage. It's hard to get exact figures on how much of that relates to commuting, but I think general observation makes it clear a lot of cars are on the road for getting to and from work, eg rush hour around office times.

If we kept those cars off the road it would reduce our impact on oil in general, but in this case help make it possible to boycott Russian oil. We could also ensure that remote hubs are well insulated and efficiently heated, in a way which a lot of offices aren't, thereby helping save gas.

This is something I believe we should be doing anyway to combat climate change, but which would have an immediate impact in supporting Ukraine too.

I did have a thread here lamenting our governments failure to support wfh. Even a tenner a day is a lot for someone with less disposable income. Charges like this hinder a transformative move away from our commuting culture, which would help combat crisis change AND reduce our dependency on Russian fossil fuels.

Also, will you listen to this song for me please, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM Haters gonna hate

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭eusap

This seems like a "i dont want to go back to the office and want the government to take my bosses choice away" campaign.

I read a report recently that said if we banned Soft Drinks and Beer we could reduce more CO2 than giving up our SUVs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

So instead of heating and electrics for one building for a company of say, 100 people, you want to have to heat and electrics for 100 seperate buildings?? That is up with fcuking for virginity in the stupid ideas stakes.

No heating the same number or less of remote hubs than offices. Maybe read the post/thread before commenting?

Can you share that report please? Would be great if true!

Otherwise I'll assume you just got it from www.pulledfrommyarse.com

• Registered Users Posts: 39,485 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ban beer? Do you want another conflict breaking out here?

What does the acronym "wfh" in the thread title mean? Or the first sentence in the OP - "So that we can help break our dependance on Russian oil and gas let's bring in a national work from home immediately."??

My reading is absolutely fine, your idea on the other hand, as I said like fighting for peace, or fcuking for virginity.

I thought wfh was an acronym that people would be familiar with and would work well in a hashtag. I figured most people by now would be familiar with the discussion around wfh and remote hubs (it's supposedly a central part of national planning), or would read beyond the first line.

I've now also edited the op to make everything clearer.

Without a remote hub, you can still save hugely on (russian) fossil fuels by working from a single heated room in your home if you have a long commute. In my last office job I had a not untypical 45 min commute each way. I can't remember the exact figure but I calculated approx 2-3 tons of c02 usage with this daily drive. Heating that one room in my home for 6 of the colder months during covid was a fraction of this. For the small team I was working with, we were using about 15 tonnes of c02 per year to commute to the office, this supposedly in a 'green friendly' software industry.

@Fandymo please be nicer online and listen to this song while you're at it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM Haters gonna hate.

People are familiar with it, it means "working from HOME". And heating one room might save on CO2, but heating 100 rooms wouldn't, or 1000, or 1,000,000. And there is absolutely zero evidence that home working actually reduces energy consumption, as this link shows https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/ab8a84#erlab8a84s6, I don't think your back of a fag packet calculation is as in-depth as it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Sorry I think you are going the wrong way about this. This thread scream of using the war so you can work from home and nothing else. Now it might not be the case but it certainly reads like that and to be honest it would get anyones back up.

As I said on another thread the WFH should be reviewed to reduce oil but in a combination of a number of things, not just because a few people dont want to return to the office.

Hopefully I am wrong about the thread.

I suppose we can all be quite cynical these days. I already work from home permanently. I won't be going back to the office either way.

Why would the government want to drive inflation? The market is already extremely overheated and prices are flying up.

Of course you do :-) then why did you complain about the costs form the hub as pointed out.

The # comment, if that did go viral and people in Ukraine seen it how do you think they would feel?

Hashtag seems to have really taken off. I heard Musk and Bezos have taken great heed to it.

Funny, you're speaking for all people now, yet you seem to be the only one having a problem with this wfh acronym?

Also heating 100, 1000 or 1,000,000 rooms will save on CO2, if those people have a long commute. If they're a five minute walk from the office obviously it won't.

I'd suggest you go and engage with that article for a while. You've so clearly misrepresented it. It says things like this:

"Overall, 26 out of 39 studies found that teleworking reduced energy use via a substitution effect, with only eight studies finding that teleworking led to higher—or else had a negligible impact on—energy use. This suggests that teleworking has some potential to reduce energy consumption and associated emissions—both through reducing commuter travel and displacing office-related energy consumption."

Most importantly the article doesn't seem to allow for remote hubs, which I've made clear several time would be preferential and are required in this country.

It's the most crass thing I have seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just get a job within walking or cycling distance of your home. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its pretty low to pretend that a war is the reason for a pet project when in reality you just want to sit in your pyjamas at "work". I wonder how those dying in the Ukraine feel about their struggle getting hijacked in this fashion?

You could see the same thing during covid, certain people crying about WFH to save lives when the cold reality was that it just suited them better.

• Advertisement

I'm going to have to go listen to my Taylor Swift song again with all these haters and cynics. 🙄

If we could possibly leave personally attacking the OP aside for a few mins, I wonder would those last few commentors prefer that we,

a) Continue to support Putin by buying Russian oil and gas.

b) Stop buying Russian oil and gas but watch as demand drives prices crazy.

c) Stop buying Russian oil and gas but do what we can to reduce demand and thereby prices.

I do feel strongly about bringing in WFH nationally to combat climate change. I also believe it's the right thing to do to push back at Putin.

A thing can be right for more than one reason.

Advertisement