Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain maintenance: TF2 & wet lube?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

no...at least not at the same time. I use Dry lube in summer, Wet lube in winter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i use wet lube as a 'base' lubricant after a deep clean of the chain, but top up probably weekly with a dry lube on my summer bike, and ditto on my winter bike, but with maybe a monthly wet lube top up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Use the TF2 spray, but use it regularly. Do not use the wet lube. In fact, never use wet lube. Never use wet lube. End of discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭cletus

I don't use wetlube either. It attracts all sorts of road crap, and it's almost impossible to clean the chain afterwards.

Just use the dry lube all year round, and apply it more regularly on the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭boardtc

Thanks!

I had no idea that wet V dry was another religious subject!!

it looks like my 2 products are identical and do the same.

The TF2 spray looks the business: https://weldtite.cc/products/tf2-ultimate-smart-spray-with-teflon-400ml

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They are the same, don't buy either, use the spray you have linked (although GT85 is the same and cheaper, think Muc Off do one as well called MO94, which is about the same price as the GT85). Use it to blast clean the chain and then apply dry lube or drip wax to the links and let it soak in. The Wet lube will stick grit and wear your chain and components quicker as well as making you less efficient. If you have an abundance of time and nothing to do with your spare time, you can also wax your chain but I just don't have the patience or will.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

ah yes.....wet lube vs dry lube; a conflict more polarising than any argument in the history of mankind.

for customers who I know will never do an ounce of maintenance on their bikes, I use wet lube to stop them calling in monthly to complain of a squeaky chain.

for customers who routinely look after their bikes well, I recommend regular use of tf2 after cleaning their chain with the degreaser of their choice...tf2 really is a great product.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Meh, I'd regularly use wet lube. I have had dry lube wash off on particularly long (and as it turned out wet) events. Had to get it topped up at a stop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, as mentioned, i use wet lube as a base lube after a full clean of a chain. i've had dry lube wash off in less than probably an hour in wet conditions.

Advertisement