Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a granny flat in the garden

• 07-03-2022 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I’m separated from my wife and we want her to stay in the family home (best for the kids). I agreed to move out, and for us to find a way for her to afford the mortgage.

we have a decent garden, has anyone built a granny flat that can be rented out? Wondering if it’s a solution. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

No not a solution. A 'granny flat' is for a granny or family member. It's not for renting out and when applying for planning permission you have to prove the need for it. ie what granny or family member will need it.

The only way this is possible is if you've a really big site and you can divide the site in two completely different independent sites with the existing house remaining on one half and you put a new house with it's own road entrance, utility connections, etc on the remaining part. Even then you'll have a lot of planning challenges to overcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Rent a room would allow her to earn 14k pa tax free.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JohnMorris78

Good to know thanks

Advertisement