Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullet Train [David Leitch]

• 02-03-2022 2:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Brad Pitt channelling some comedic styling that I forgot he was capable of TBH; headlining the latest from one half of the original John Wick's directorial team.

For a film set on one of Japan's most famous concepts, there are curiously few Japanese people in the trailer - bar the surely overworked Hiroyuki Sanada. 😂

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭santana75

When I saw the teaser trailer I thought it might be a remake of "Train to Busan", which I think might've worked with BP in the lead. Seems like John wick on a train though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Seems to be channeling his Mr & Mrs Smith character a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Looks popcorn fun

• Registered Users Posts: 31,752 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Oh yeah this looks like a lot of fun!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The air of doofus'ness put me in mind of Burn After Reading myself; I wonder how much of the action will Pitt do, if he's going to pull a Keanu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Loved the book - really recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the trailer, and the movie looks quite different actually. The book has excellent, Tarantino-esque dialogue (on the finer points of Thomas the Tank Engine) and some especially memorable characters.

If they're following the characterisation in the book, his is an especially endearing, extremely unlucky assassin. Someone who really believes in Murphy's Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I didn't know it was based on a book? I'm presuming it's a graphic novel?

EDIT: I presumed wrong. Will definitely check it out, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'd heard of this film ages ago and wasn't sure what way they'd take it. Yeah definitely looks fun

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

looks great

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Trailer 2

Michael Shannon is in it, so that's good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno why, but every time he appears in something comedic, I'm surprised I completely forgot Brad Pitt had good timing.

It still looks like it could be good, though the bad CGI makes me a little sad; the fisticuffs remain solid looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,185 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I liked the chemistry Brad and Sandra had in The Lost City for the few scenes they had together.

Hadn't realised but this is apparently very loosely based on a book by the same name; looks like they switched up characters a good bit, not least the lead going from Japanese to Brad Pitt but it was only 5 quid on Kindle so picked it up after enjoying a sample. Looks like a page turner.

I loved the book, and currently reading the latest translated work from the author (Three Assassins, which was actually written before Bullet Train and has a couple of characters overlap). This seems like a very different prospect, much more focused on Pitt's character and comedic in tone.

Already a bit of controversy over 'white-washing' of the major characters: https://asamnews.com/2022/03/23/controversy-builds-over-possible-whitewashing-in-brad-pitts-bullet-train/

I tend to roll my eyes at such uproar but it's very odd that non-speaking roles like the woman who shushed Pitt in the quiet carriage is played by a Westerner.

Anyone seen it? Reviews seem a bit iffy, unfortunately.

It's highly enjoyable, good cameos too, I think the characters played by Brian Tyree Henry and Aaron Taylor Johnson deserve a spin off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this earlier and I liked it way more than I thought I would. Its definitely trying to hard to be stylish but it does have some very good moments. It looks great, the performances are fun and it bombs along towards are pretty decent denouement. I think it has potential for cult classic in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I loved it. Most fun I've had in the cinema since Kick Ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Was a miss for me. I really wanted to like it but it just didn't hit the right notes, I would agree with Kermodes review.

Kick ass is the benchmark for these movies and it hasnt been surpassed (Deadpool 1 maybe coming the closest)

I wouldn't mind seeing it to make my own mind up, but it's a classic case of the local cinema's times being a bit crap.

Loved the book but feel like Leitch was the wrong choice of director. He turned what is a gritty thriller into a knockabout, overstuffed CGI action movie. From the beginning, a lot of jokes fell flat and it was too flashback-heavy. It finds a decent rhythm in the middle, once we know all the key players, their motivations and their location on the train. That's also the most accurate to the book, and there are some clever twists and reveals. Such as shame then, that the ending (which is completely rewritten) is so repetitive and over the top.

Decent but could've been a lot better in the right hands. 6/10

It's doing well in the box office

Probably because it's a bit of a quiet period for large releases; looks like the (US domestic) Box Office is fairly mediocre ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

Better than I expected. Maybe if you're a fan of the source material you'd look on it less favorably but I thought it was decent, silly entertainment and an easy watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Jude13

Loved the book, don't know how it will work with western people playing the characters. Particularly for tangerine and lemon.

Lemon and Tangerine are great, I would love a spin off for them, that be sucking diesel 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭Tefral

Went to see it last night not even seeing a trailer, just took a punt to get out of the house.

The wife and I loved it. Theres a dose of Cameos in it too which are actually quite fun.

Brad to be fair to him can do the comedy thing....

Would definitely like a movie on Lemon and Tangerine. They made it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Watched it last night and found it easy to watch, quirky comedy, Pitt had some funny lines, would recommend it.

Advertisement