Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Discovery 4x11 - 'Rosetta' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

• 03-03-2022 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

Discovery 4x11 - 'Rosetta' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Warning: This thread will contain spoilers for the episode. Spoiler tags will not be used, so if you don't want to be spoiled read no further.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Emotion dust, the last thing this crew needs. The complete lack of self-awareness on behalf of the writers to have a crew member apologise to Burnham for letting her emotions cloud her judgement. Jesus like, the majority of the problems this crew has stem from Burnham having f all control over her emotions and her poor judgement because of that.

Honestly I feel like there was very little of substance in the episode. We learned that the 10-C communicate with emotional dust. That's it. You could easily have cut out 90% of this episode, added the 10% onto the last one, and got an episode that gave a sense of progress. This just seems like a load of filler. I'm not sure how they'll wrap it up in the last two episodes, and don't really care that much. Emotions caused and saved the universe in season 3, and it looks like this season will be the same.

The only thing in this episode that may be a bit interesting is that they say the planet was destroyed 1000 years ago, which would be when Discovery jumped forward. Maybe that's why the ship was abandoned for 1000 years, to do something to prevent this problem. However, that would just be the writers trying to correct an unecesary problem that they created for themselves, and still isn't a particularly satisfying answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭eadrom

"Hey, what's this strange blue plot device that's lying around everywhere?"

"Could it be nothing?"

"Oh yeah, probably. Let's not investigate."

"I'm GoNNa sTicK my FinGeR iN it. LOL."

Feck sake, Discovery.

How does this show manage to feel so breathlessly fast paced while also moving so slowly. 45 minutes because they didn't scan the damn dust.

Otherwise I enjoyed the episode though. Some decent enough character beats, and that core team of Saru, Burnham, Culber, and Detmer works well enough. And it looked great, better than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Detmer getting dialogue again. And Adira suddenly obsessed with her.

You would think they wouldn't recover from the dust's effects right away. Figured it would need to leave their system.

And I don't claim to be an expert on these kinds of things, but the entire team voluntarily exposing themselves to alien happy dust doesn't seem good tactics.

I'm confused about Book and Tarka's personal teleporters. Like why couldn't Tarka just teleport from engineering? And I assume he did with Reno.

Bad news for those who dislike the "Disco" shortening of the title with the shuttle going by that name.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

A whole episode devoted to 10C and all we learned was they built a nursery and burped magic dust

And as pointed out above 1000 years in the past seems a little bit suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭pah

SlowMo Sleek Black Suit Walking. FML 🙄

• Advertisement

Then they just teleport into teh shuttle. Makes you wonder why they didn't just teleport to the shuttle bay, at least

• Registered Users Posts: 20,881 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Got to get those steps in.

Enjoyed the surprise ending to the episode, be interesting to see how that goes. Tarka's an interesting adversary in that he's not a bad person but obviously willing to go to whatever lengths are needed to achieve what he perceives is the right way to go. Rest of the episode was quite fillerish alright.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,034 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Finally some movement on the 10Cs and the larger plot, but a lot of time is wasted on absolutely nothing to get there. Past Trek series would have shown the same content in 20 minutes.

I get the impression the season consists of 5% actual sci-fi storyline, 5% making up for the hitherto ignored secondary characters, and 90% time wasting.

It's been a boring, unsatisfying season, though I'd still rate it better than season 3.

Maybe I missed it but while they were on the planet and not doing drugs, did they mention anything about what the 10C could be using the material they're mining for? You'd think when trying to figure out how to understand them, that would be one of the main things they would want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ah, I liked that episode. Just the whole feel of it and how it panned out. 🙂

Still though.. I wouldn't mind a little development on the Ten'C. Like.. any day now.. before Earth gets hit.

Looks like they are going to be massive and maybe winged.

The one scene which really stayed with me was Reno getting the raktajino at the replicator.. When you have to power-through, nothing beats the bitter elixir of Klingon Warriors 😁

Yep. They sure did, a few episodes ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Did anyone else think the look of the Dyson Sphere Rings looked a bit naff? Maybe I have preconceptions of what it would look like but that was a bit naff, to be that technologically advanced and not have some uniformly shaped energy harness

• Registered Users Posts: 30,719 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

And they use about 30% more dialogue than is necessary. They could easily convey all the same emotional beats and story progression without everyone having to deliver a monologue every few minutes. An unsure Book can just give a look of being between two minds about beaming over, and that's all it would've needed. Instead we get him talking for two minutes about those people over there being his family etc etc... like, we know that, and Tarka knows that - that's the whole point of his story, and it's impossible for anyone to not already get it. Just let the actors act instead of having to say every single simple thought out loud over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Well this is totally ridiculous.

Doctor lad getting told off by the president for being a little blunt with the away team. They’re trained professionals, they’ll get over it.

Adira suddenly having the hots for Detmer, unnecessary.

It gets more and more emotional with each episode, and Michael more and more whispery.

20 minutes left, it’s beyond boring. Reno is fun at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Anyone remember when this show used to be fun, with Jason Isaacs and co?

Mmm. Despite all the criticisms, S1 Discovery had a fun edginess to it. Reacting to the criticisms has just left it as a watered down mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

That bugged me. It was so urgent that they had to port into the shuttle (Disco, puke) yet they had time to do their RuPaul walk through the ship and then stop for a chat with the lads from the federation to discuss the merits of the mission?! Seems like these questions should have been raised earlier?

Also....."Michael......dramatic pause....good luck"

Seriously, the fate of 2 planets is down to hours and they have time for this nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Any why 10C?

Doesnt seem like the federation have encountered too many other races if they are only on "10C" for naming them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭corkie

Booker finally activates his own sensor mask, and kneels down, looking over a schematic of Discovery. Tarka asks if it was a "Kwejian thing", and Booker replies it wasn't: he just liked "having a torso". Tarka kneels down with him, and soon sees why as they beam aboard: Booker has set the coordinates in one of Discovery's Jefferies tubes. Consulting his schematic again, he points the way to engineering.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Rosetta_(episode)

Was the scene/gag ever uploaded to youtube? Can not seem to find it.

😂 That made me wonder if transporters do have failsafes in case someone does beam into a confined space.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭corkie

They probably have some safety protocols to prevent accidents, but can be overridden if the plot calls for it. Like in Picard.

Aboard the ship, Seven accesses the transporter, and manages to beam the mercenaries onboard the ship right into the walls of the tunnels. Picard sees them materialize embedded in the stone,

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Hide_and_Seek_(episode)

• Advertisement
Advertisement