Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shane Warne RIP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Fox Cricket reporting Shane Warne has died from a suspected heart attack aged just 52. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Jesus christ thats sad absolute legend RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭tanko

That’s terrible news, just twelve hours ago he was tweeting his sympathy to Rodney Marsh’s’ family. Had he been in poor health or is this out of the blue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

I’m shocked, one of the best of all time RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Greatest bowler I ever saw. He could take wickets when NOBODY else could and always seemed to get the vital wickets. Great cricket brain as well, was able to deal with any situation that arose in a cricket match. Always had a plan to get a batsman out. He is a cricket immortal! RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Unbelievable bowler and a huge personality in the game. RIP.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Jesus, I absolutely loved Shane Warne. That's actually shocked me a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

Hope this isn't true.

Had the pleasure of seeing him at Lord's and was pretty much in line with his bowling the turn he got on the ball was amazing, we were just laughing at how far he spun it.

There's a documentary on Amazon Prime if anyone has that - started watching it a few weeks ago, will finish it tonight and raise a glass to his memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Jesus Christ just seen the news from a BBC notification. Can't believe it, best spin bowler I've even seen imo. RIP Shane.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

The most captivating player I ever saw, he could make batsmen freak out even when the pitch was as flat as road. He was also one of the most interesting commentators in the game and not afraid to make a prediction.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Very sad news. 52 is no age at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

So you've carried out the autopsy already? Muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I don't think I've ever before seen the notification of a death and exclaimed "Jesus" out loud like I just have at work. It's a huge shock and terribly sad news. He was a legend, and not just in cricket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Absolute shock, a great of the game, amazingly skilled and interesting man, a fantastic cricket brain, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Safe to say that Shane's ball to Gatting was the reason why I became interested in Cricket and why it eventually became my favourite sport. Simply the greatest leg spin bowler of all-time and a massive personality within the sport, always good humoured and always professional and appreciative of the talent of other players, regardless of their nationality.

S.K. Warne, legend. R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Very sad, An absolute legend…

hed walk into any world best of 11 of all time…

I had the good fortune to meet the guy on one occasion and had a brief conversation with him and he was very friendly, nice, good natured, engaging and ego free…

52 is no age… 3 young kids too… he’ll be missed…

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

A terrible loss to cricketing fans everywhere, Australia and the world.

As one of the all time greats I've no doubt he'll be pitching his skills at the likes of other greats such as W.G.Grace, at Lords in Heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Absolutely devastated. Warne was one of the reasons why I got into following the game. A larger than life character who simply was one of the greatest cricket players of all time. Even those who know nothing about cricket, have heard the name Shane Warne.

Even in retirement, he has been everywhere on TV on Sky or on Fox Sports in Australia and he always pops up for a comment somewhere. What he has done for spin bowling and the game of cricket in general is incalculable. Simply irreplaceable.

An icon. A legend.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭Xander10

Like others, truly shocked when I heard this on the radio. A legend, was so entertaining to watch and could bat as well as bowl.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Apologies, I've just had to remove some posts and one poster is now taking a break from the site

Comments like the one I deleted should never be made in an RIP thread

RIP to one true legend

EDIT - threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I can't believe this. Only last week he was flirting with wanting the England job.

Wrist spin must be one of the hardest arts to master in all of sport and there was no one better than him to do it. Add his batting and catching he was an all round cricketer. His commentary, while not very polished, always made a lot of common sense and I enjoyed hearing his stories from his playing days. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

shocking news. and the death of rod marsh also announced today. RIP to both, and thoughts with family and friends

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Some ball. His first ball ever in an ashes test I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I am devastated. He was always my favourite. It's like we all knew him. He was Warney to all. A great cricketer and a great bloke.

He is such a loss to the game. He was always looking to innovate the game and improve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Very very sad news. He was easily the best spin bowler I've ever seen. And a larger then life figure in the best possible sense.

Travel well Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

i think that gif is of the delivery to Andrew Strauss in the 2005 ashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Yeah think you're right.

Not great quality, but this is it I think.

What a player.

Ireland's own Duckworth Lewis Method summed up his magic in their song Jiggery-pokery. (See above which I somehow have managed to post twice and can't work out how to delete it!)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

No. You're thinking of the Ball of the Century from the 93 Ashes. The clip is of Strauss walking all around it in 2005.

Loved Shane Warne. In this country people tend to think you're insane when you tell them you're staying up to watch Australia V India. I loved it. The battles between Warne V Sachin were epic.

Advertisement