Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alan Kelly stepping down

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I was more bothered when Robbie left Take That.

And just to be clear....I was not at all bothered when Robbie left Take That.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Danye

It would be great if the entire Labour party stepped down!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

I just couldn't understand why in the name of God a clever enough cookie like Alan Kelly jumped on things like the "Zero covid" bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Oh dear nevermind, if “power is a drug” he’ll be fresh as a daisy tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭touts

Always going to happen once Ivana Batshit got onto the Dail. I'm surprised she didn't move on him straight away on her first day. She'll imagine she is the person to reconnect the party with the real people of Ireland. And by real people she means the Polo playing Dinner Party Attending, Reisling Drinking masses.

RIP the Labour Party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I won't be turning on the water works, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

I think there's no way that he personally supports current labour party polices like getting rid of single sex schools, he strikes me as a man who'd be more at home in FF or FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

He's an odd chap. He was all shouting and giving out until he became leader. Now he just makes the occasional speech. Calling the Russian ambassador a liar. Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I never thought much of him until he became Labour leader. However, with exception of supporting zero covid nonsense (long after it became apparent that was completely unrealistic), he has impressed me. Strikes me as a bright guy. Surprised and a bit disappointed to hear he is going. Think a weak Labour party isn't good for the country when you see the calibre of what fills that vacuum on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,819 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He seemed to tone down the impression he was about to explode in rage when he became Leader. I can't see anyone else rescuing Labour. Ivana? Never thought she had what it takes to connect with people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I would have voted Labour in the past. They lost their way long before Alan got into the hot seat.

Surely Amadán O'Ríórdawn is the best man (I think he identifies as a man) to drag the brudders and sisters into the 21 Century?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

He always struck me as being a very angry man somehow. I reckon there is more to this than "staffing" issues also.

Ivana may be far too "plummy" for many, though who knows?

The left is now in the hands of SF and the numpties in PBP et al. Labour should join with the Social Democrats and be happy families again. The Southern version of the SDLP 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 66,819 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I never rated O'Riordan for the simple reason that he nver seemed to believe what he was asking us to believe himself.

But how would Labour like to be led by the two biddies? Because that's the only way that the Sop Dems will agree to a merger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

he strikes me as a man who'd be more at home in FF or FG.

Nail on head!

M

I presume Ivana Bacik will take the wheel now.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,914 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Descent in the Party

• Registered Users Posts: 30,173 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know people in Tipp and they'd like Alan kelly but they'd be more of your traditional Labour voter and wouldn't have much time for people like Aodhan. I think it's a party that's really lost and they got lucky in the Dublin Bay South by-election.

Only if Gerald Henry "Ged" Nash doesn't want to become leader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Kelly always struck me as being a Loner (understandable given his appalling record in the last government he partook in).

He's essentially spent the past two years acting as unofficial spokesperson for FFGG government, always starting a Dail contribution praising a minister and then proceeding to lambast them, bizzare stuff.

The Labour Party is essentially a lost and rather pointless cause . Aodhán Ó Ríordáin, another government spokesperson is another disaster.

Ivana Bacik likely to get the Nod, she has ability, no doubting that but she's also like Marmite, loved or hated in equal measure.

They say a week in politics is a long time, in labour's case its an eternity and they'll never recover from decisions they made in government, they really should just pack up and leave the stage, it's almost embarrassing at this stage .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

That's a pity. He was a very good goalkeeper in his day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Must be family members in tipp you were talking to coz plenty around nenagh cant stand him. Sure in the 2nd last general election he almost lost his seat to the local sinn fein councillor Hes also not welcome in templemore after the whole garda college thing. The amount of local business who lost contracts from the college and directly blame him

Cant see him running in the next election he did say in an interview a while back he didnt see himself staying in politics forever. Think it could have been the Niamh Horan interview

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

The Labour Party might aswell be Fine Gael.

They don’t represent the working class voter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Oh holy god, Ivana Bacik of all people, i'm out if she gets the Labour position.

M

His finest hour was tackling the Healy-Rae's phone ringing in the Dail...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭secman

Labour Party is in serious demise especially since SF took the lefty votes.

It's not a big step down as he barely stepped up at all.

Party membership must be dwindling, not quite as dramatic as fall in priesthood numbers ...hardly a big news event now though. At times it takes a while to remember who the leader is ....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm only guessing mind you but get a sense Aodhán Ó Ríordáin disliked generally by the grass roots, ultimately whoever gets it, grabbing a poison chalice

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

He barely got elected at the last 2 elections . Got in on the last count both times. In fact the 2nd last election he almost lost out to seamie morris from the same town who was running for Sinn Fein. SF shot themselves in the foot by getting rid of Seamie Morris since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Labour are preparing a pivot toward rescuing the the middle class urban vote with Bacik as leader.

Will Ivana attempt to eat Mary Lou McDonalds's lunch?

Good luck with that

Advertisement