Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gran Turismo 7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The game looks phenomenal but €80 is saucy. €60 or thereabouts on the American PSN which is where I will be getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

It's good to see the car wash back. A hand wash at that. You can't beat a good hand job.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,434 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭quokula

They've been teasing some kind of "breakthrough" collaboration between Polyphony and Sony AI to be announced later this week. Given that it wasn't in the state of play and Sony AI do proper machine learning R&D beyond computer games I doubt it's just something related to the AI opponents. I'm guessing it's more likely something tangential like the use of Gran Turismo to train up real life autonomous vehicle drivers or AI playing a role in the design of a Vision GT concept car or something like that, but who knows.

PS4 version comes on two discs, PS5 version comes on one disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Digital version might not fit on older PS4s then? Or if it does there won't be room for much else.

The AI project hinted at last week was GT Sophy, an AI driver trained using cutting edge machine learning techniques to race competitively and fairly. Apparently it can beat top e-sports drivers and races like a human in wheel to wheel racing.

It won't be in the game at launch but will be in a future update. It's unclear what form it will take as they've talked about it being a companion and a learning tool in addition to being a competitor. It would need to be able to scale to be competitive with regular players rather than just with top players, which isn't as simple as you'd think for this kind of black box AI.

Two weeks to go to release 😎

• Advertisement

Something to note about Sophy is that the rollout worker (driving agent) is running external to the PS4 hardware. The PS4 hardware runs a game instance while the driving agent runs on high-end servers. The driving agent feeds actions into the PS4 game instance and gets updated states back.

The driving agent is very CPU intensive, and the PS4 CPU is already maxed out simply running the game. PS4 couldn't even run a single Sophy agent in real time, let alone an entire field of them.

What this means is that crudely "adding Sophy to GT7" is not possible. I know this claim been floating around in the media and even attributed to Kaz but it's overly simplistic. They intend to learn from Sophy and hope to incorporate lessons into future game AI. Realistically you're talking about GT8 (and a clean break from PS4) before you see any kind of AI even remotely derived from Sophy in a GT game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The renders I've seen suggest that they are maintaining their association with Lewis Hamilton. I'd love to see Sophy hand Hamilton's backside to him on a plate in a sim race.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

From what I've seen on SuperGT about Sophy, she takes impossible angles and is always aware of the exact grip, so uses grass entries and exits on turns. She's also a bit aggressive. I wouldn't have a hope against her!

A little bit over a week to release. Can't wait to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Can't wait to play it but it won't be on the Friday night, it's clashing with Batman in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,813 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I've got the Anniversary Edition reserved in the local GameStop. The last time I was anywhere near this excited for a release was GTA V. Bring on the divebombers of Sport Mode!

I never did online racing in GT Sport. With the release of 7 just around the corner, I might dip into online racing in 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Thinking of trading in Call of Duty Black Opps in GameStop and they give you €35 credit for that and I can buy Back 4 Blood for €30 from them and then use that to book Gran Turismo. I presume they would let you do that ? Has anyone every done that before with them ?

Just make sure back 4 blood is still on their list first.

• Advertisement

It was on their list last night as I went through all the games on the PS5 section to see if I could pick them up cheap any where. Do you know if it’s possible to do that with GameStop ?

Still there just checked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

My god, it looks spectacular. Can’t wait.

Just double check with staff because I've heard of it happening before where it was online but they wouldn't accept it in the shop.

Honestly... that side by side is not very flattering in my opinion. It really highlights how "sterile" everything is in GT compared to the real footage, in terms of graphics, the texture of the road surface, the camera movement, the bumps.

Don't get me wrong I can't wait to play the game but I wish they'd taken more of a step, when you look at something like HFW the new hardware is definitely capable of more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Willow Springs probably isn’t the best track to showcase the games visuals, it’s like racing on mars.

The Daytona footage was probably more impressive.

A few people on reddit got their copies very early from Amazon, being very well received so far.

Game footage from twitch online but for some reason it won't let me post the reddit link here.

The review embargos were lifted earlier. It's going to be a long 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

For what it's worth, currently has 88 average on Metacritic from 72 reviews

• Advertisement

Smyths have my order ready for dispatch. Hopefully I will have it tomorrow.

Advertisement