Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2022

• 01-03-2022 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭

Remember, balance due 1/March - 7/March folks. On my CC it came in at 284.47 Euro for ticket and coach (No protection/bottle)

Let the excitement begin!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Layne

Glastonbury resale details for those of you (including myself!!) that don't have tickets.

Don't fancy my chances, more chance of winning the Lotto but will give it a go.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/glastonbury-2022-ticket-resale-dates-confirmed-3166948

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Give it a go. I have gotten tickets from resale 2 times. Many people don't bother, thinking it is fruitless and, I hate to bring up the "C" word but many people may not be as available in 2022 as they were during 2020 because of Covid.

I don't mean to get your hopes too high but it's definitely not as pointless as you may expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ive gotten tickets in 4 resales!

Stlll 50/50 if Ill try this year. Lots of other stuff on but itll be some party.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FAEACA

Paying ticket balance this week.

What's the story with the only delivery option for international orders being "Box Office Collection"?

Seems very awkward especially as we'll be travelling via campervan.

Didn't notice that. We always go for Coach/festival tickets first and they are usually given out on the bus

• Advertisement

Won't be any change in the coach/festival ticket process but looks like all overseas regular tickets will have to be collected at the festival.

Shouldn't cause any issue for those camping and but could be a total nightmare for those in campervans as you'll somehow have to collect tickets before driving to the Campervan East fields.

Thats a weird one yeah.

Email the ticket office. No way they'll want you driving to Gate A and then over to the otherside of the festival to get into the camper fields.

Also, yearly warning for campervan ticket holders. Do not, under any circumstances let them put you in E15/E16 and especially E17 direction.

Tell them you have mobility issues. Tell them your elderly parents are joining you tomorrow. Tell them you have AIDS (Good or bad) but don't let them direct you towards those fields. Real festival killer. Miles away.

At the Pyramid stage and need to nip back to the van? 2 hour round trip.

I can't see how they can email the tickets with the photo etc (Too easily edited). Maybe a ticket for a ticket if you know what I mean. I wonder is it down to Brexit/delays?

Yeah, it seems a weird decision!

I've popped off emails to See and Glastonbury so will see what comes back.

We've had 3 years in Campervan West which was absolutely perfect. Only two fields, never any queues and ideal exit on the Monday when heading west for Pembroke.

Good to know which fields to avoid in East as this will be our first year there! Will also be worse leaving Monday morning!

Yeah, maybe some sort of email confirmation which can be used as access to the campervan fields but they are hardly going to ask people in the camperan fields to trek over to Gate A on foot to get their festival tickets so it still doesn't seem to make any sense.

The tickets were always slow enough arriving so prehaps they wanted to remove that risk but the solution at the moment does not seem workable.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah should add, that year, 2014, there was a broke down car in the lane on Monday so we got stuck for 6 hours and missed our flight. Ended up having to stay in Bristol.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dark and Long

Hi all, balance paid and just about ready for my first Glastonbury!!

Going with a few mates and we've yet to decide on how we are getting there and back, one of us actually got a campervan ticket in case we decide to rent one. Have the good people here any tips on the best route(s) over and back?

Our options as we see it currently: 1) fly Dublin to Bristol and get a coach Bristol to Glastonbury and camp, 2) we drive in a car from Dublin and ferry from Rosslare-Penbroke (I make it to be ~10hr journey😫) and camp, 3) rent camper in Dublin and drive/ferry (longer journey in slow camper) and 4) fly to Bristol and rent a camper from there.

The only thing really putting us off the campervan is the cost of renting one but even at that 4) is the most appealing option for short travel time and comfy sleeping! Would appreciate any tips ye have on travelling over from here! ✌️

Best option - Fly into Bristol on Tuesday evening and spend the night in Glastonbury town and get a taxi to the site in the morning.

Bring only the basics with you. You can buy airbeds, pillows etc on site.

I have never campervan'd (I KNOW that's not a word but hey) but, as I get older, I can see the temptation.

We usually fly into Bristol on Wednesday morning/early afternoon and stay in a travellodge or something similar. This gives us the opportunity to do a shopping trip: Booze, chairs etc. Stuff you wouldn't fly with.

We usually go for a coach (Thursday) and festival ticket. Busses usually about 9:00-10:00 AM. If I remember correctly, it takes about 1:30 to get to the site and, at that time it's usually pretty quiet going in.

Regarding campervans etc. Remember you have to drive them back again and if there is mud.....

For sleeping, I have a camp bed I got in Argos years ago. Bit creaky, weighs about 1.5 KG (To take into account when flying) but keeps you off the ground. Also remember, when you factor in your bed roll, rucksack, food/booze/equipment/whatever, you really need a 3-man tent per person (Double-skinned for condensation). Do NOT go for some cheap Dunnes Stores "festival" tent. And remember to take your stuff back with you/ The only reason I buy a chair there is because it never lasts long after I bring it home. I always bring it back.

As for tips in general:

• Obviously keep an eye on the weather beforehand and prepare.(I usually have a full change of clothes wrapped in clingfilm just in case and always break this out when flying back). I've had mud Glasto and 2019 heat was cruel and everything inbetween.
    • Hydrate
    • Be realistic with your schedule. Everyone's first Glasto they try to see as much as possible "I will see 20 mins of X of the Pyramid and then 20 mins of Y on John Peel and then 40 mins in the Acoustic" It can take 15 mins to get from Pyramid to John Peel if "traffic" is slow and then 15 mins back and another maybe 10 to Acoustic from John Peel.
    • Hydrate
    • By the end of the first day you will be KNACKERED and if someone offered you a trip home you would be tempted and by the end you would maybe even doubt going back. But trust me, once you are realistic, it gets a WHOLE lot easier. By the time the next year's ticket sales go out you will be KILLING for a ticket
    • Try the food. As much as possible. Some is typical Festival fare, some is fantastic.
    • Prices of food etc I think are pretty reasonable for a festival. Of course this may change post Brexit, I don't know. Personally I usually bring my booze with me and just buy food unless I want an ice-cold beer.
    • Hydrate
    • Don't be afraid of the long drop toilets.
    • Don't live watching the stage through your phone recording. You can record all you want but in the end, all you will have is a tinny and tiny recording of an event you were too busy focusing on recording to enjoy.
    • Did I mention hydrate?
    Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

Hydrate is very important yep. A pack of Imodium is a must aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭crl84

Have only ever driven and it's been fine.

Either got the Tuesday lunchtime ferry Dublin-Holyhead, drove 4/5hrs, and stayed somewhere in the UK Tuesday night, then 1/2hr drive Wednesday morning to site, or got the Tuesday evening Rosslare-Fishguard, stayed in Swansea that night, then 2hr drive in the morning.

We also stayed in Wexford on Tuesday night and got the early Wednesday ferry, 3hr drive when off the boat, arriving Wednesday afternoon, but for a first-timer, I'd recommend getting there early on Wednesday if possible.

On the way back, there's an 8pm-ish Holyhead ferry that gets you back in Dublin around 11pm (this is a bit of a pain as you've a 6hr drive to Holyhead, but at least it's late, so you should have plenty of time), or else there's a 3pm-ish from Pembroke that gets to Rosslare at 7pm, so you'd be back in Dublin by 9pm. Latter is what I'd recommend, as it's a nice break of the driving.

It's easy, relatively stress-free, you have everything with you, and can take things at your own pace.

Friends have flown to Bristol and made their way then, and it seems like a ballache with getting supplies, gear etc, then to the site tbh. Notably none ever did it again if they weren't forced to with a coach ticket, and always drove.

Would probably do the campervan option if I had the choice, although I'd imagine the low availability/high price of campervans out of Bristol will be an issue at this stage. Might be better off flying somewhere else to pick up the campervan, if not getting one in Ireland.

Post edited by crl84 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

There'll have to be some kind of pass to get into the campervan fields at the very least, mayhem if there isn't.

And then walk all the way around to Gate A around the outisde of the festival to collect the tickets? Its a hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Hopefully they'll organise something better, tickets at the campervan entrance would make some bit of sense as they'd have the info, could cause trouble as well though.

Nightmare. Oh my mates not comin till tomorrow and hes coming on the coach at Gate A, hes staying with us etc.

• Advertisement

So 2022 will be our fourth year going to Glastonbury (2014, 2017 and 2019 being the previous).

We have gone via campervan each time and to be honest, absolutely love it! Usually 4 or 6 of us go so we always get a 6 berth campervan.

We hire the campervan here in Ireland (by putting a refundable deposit down in advance of ticket sale day which usually avoids the supply/demand problems encountered closer to the festival).

This is our timetable:

1. Collect campervan Monday afternoon and park at home;
    2. Pack the campervan Monday evening with all our gear, drink etc;
    3. Leave home approx 5.30am Tuesday morning and head to Rosslare for 8.45am departure via Irish Ferries to Pembroke;
    4. Arrive Pembroke approx 12.45pm;
    5. Drive from Pembroke to Glastonbury, with a couple of stops along the way for food,fuel etc, usually arriving at the campervan fields approx 5.30pm;
    6. Set up awning, table and chairs and a few wind breakers and outdoor lights and we're usually sitting down with the campervan neighbours for welcome drinks by 7pm on the Tuesday evening;
    7. Stroll down to the gate early Wednesday morning (approx 10am) to get wristbanded and off we go for the week;
    8. We pack up the campervan around 11am on the Sunday morning and then head out for the day, arriving back to the campervan after the headliners so maybe 1am and get a few hours sleep;
    9. Leave between 6am and 7am Monday morning and get 30/40 miles from the site before stopping at services for a rest, breakfast and maybe a shower;
    10. Continue onto Pembroke, arriving sometime between Noon and 1pm (depending on how many stops we make for coffee etc on route);
    11. Depart Pembroke at 2.45pm and into Rosslare at 6.45pm;
    12. Home to bed;
    13. Tuesday morning, we unpack the campervan and return it to the hire company;

Ferry for this year is €676 (up for €460 in previous years) so works out approx €113 per person if 6 travel. Campervan hire for the full period which is 8 nights, including UK supplement and UK insurance cover comes in at €1,819 (up from €1,310 in previous years) so works out at approx €303 per person if 6 travel.

Add about another €240 in fuel costs, so €40 per person.

Total travel, fuel and accomodation cost per person - €456.

DELETED

Post edited by FAEACA on

I've done campervans 6 out of the 13 times (I think) Ive been but after switching to a tent in a good spot I wouldnt change back. Lsss hassle, cheaper and much easier. The coach tickets are my favourite way to go now.

There is definitely negatives to the campervan route, especially when you factor in the 2 nights of rental which you in effect don't use - (the Monday night before you travel and the Monday night before you drop it back). Of course, you could pick it up Tuesday and get the evening ferry Tuesday night to avoid some of that cost but then you have a drive through the night and are on the back foot from a sleep prespective starting the festival.

I've done campervans 6 out of the 13 times (I think) Ive been but after switching to a tent in a good spot I wouldnt change back. Lsss hassle, cheaper and much easier. The coach tickets are my favourite way to go now.

Yeah, that's the key. Sure, you can get right in the middle of the action and on the flat close to the stages if you want. But's I'm all "Murtaugh" at this stage and "too old for this sh*t". We always camp nearer gate B coach gate. (Is it B? Been so long). A good bit back. Maybe too far back for some but quiet, relatively spacious and, most importantly, higher up than the rest.

Usually I put my sleeping bag in a bin bag before I leave the tent if the weather is bad. Just In Case. Remember coming back from U2. It p1ssed rain the whole damn day but I'd seen worse mud. Three of us getting back to our tent. I'd forgotten to wrap up my bag. Opened the tent: Bone dry "Oh YES". Next tent over "Oh YES!". Next tent over "Oh NO!!!!". They'd bought a sh*tty "festival tent" that just leaked EVERYWHERE. Thankfully the next day was OK and he was able to hang up all his clothing after drying out his tent.

So, TLDR: Tents are fine if you have a good tent in a good location.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Need to work up some motivation to make an attempt to get a ticket in the resale. Not sure if I want the disappointment.

It is a rollercoaster alright. We have been lucky and been able to get them every year (Either coach/festival, festival, re-sale or a combination) for the last 12 years or so. But some day.... Some day we will NOT get them. And that'll be a kick in the stones

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm still angry with the Glastonbury gods for denying me a ticket in 2019 for the first time time since 1995. :)

In 2019 all of us and everyone we knew got them. I was sitting on the open ticket page for 10 minutes texting people going "err, anyone want one?". Was as easy as ordering off Amazon.

Other years, like 2020, I couldnt even get onto the website.

Lots on this year so not sure if Ill try/have the holidays but as the resale date gets closer......

• Advertisement

Advertisement