Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

soarview/freeview set top box

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

That is an indoor terrestrial aerial, it is not a satellite dish. It will only receive the Saorview channels RTÉ1/2, VM3 etc. provided there is an adequate terrestrial signal indoors where you mount the aerial.

The UK Freeview terrestrial signal is not receivable in Co Cork via a terrestrial aerial, indoors or outdoors.

To receive the UK channels, via satellite, you will have to mount a satellite dish outside.

Are you currently receiving the satellite channels via your old set top box/satellite receiver? Do you currently have a satellite dish?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

i currently have a satellite dish, but it's not hooked up and i can't be bothered to hook it up. i would just like to receive some local channels, which should be possible with the issue indoor aerial, no? will the aerial work with the set top box i linked to from Amazon? my tv has "rf in" port that fits the cable the aerial has. but it doesn't catch any channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Saorview is designed to work with a normal rooftop aerial. Check where your nearest mast is here https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

An indoor aerial will generally not give good results unless you are near the mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Inadequate signal where you're mounting/sitting the aerial most likely. The aerial will work with the TV/old STB and probably the new STB but I couldn't confirm how well it'll work.

IMO there is no point buying a new box as the TV will work with a correctly mounted aerial. Indoor aerials are really for strong signal areas, it might be possible to receive an adequate signal with the aerial mounted in the attic but you'll have to check to confirm.

Using Gerry's link to Saorview above how far is the recommended transmitter for your location?

8.2 Can I Use An Indoor Portable Aerial, Rabbits Ears?

RTÉNL does not recommend the use of indoor portable aerials. They are too susceptible to localised physical and electrical interference. Terrestrial transmission of television, analogue and digital, is designed and built around rooftop reception.

It will be possible for over 50% of the population to receive SAORVIEW with an indoor portable aerial. However on a house to house basis there are many factors than impact on the effectiveness of a portable aerial. For example the orientation of your house, the location of the television in the house, the construction materials, the insulation materials, the proximity to neighbouring houses, walls and obstructions will all impact reception.

An outdoor aerial, positioned as high as possible, pointing towards the appropriate transmission site, with no local obstructions is recommended and will give the best results.

8.3 Can I Put My Aerial In My Attic Rather Than Outside On The Chimney?

In attic will work in most homes where there is a good or very good signal but it very much depends on the construction materials used in your roof. The roof is an obstruction immediately in front of your aerial and directly between the transmission site and the in attic aerial. It will block some, if not all, of the signal.

An outdoor aerial, positioned as high as possible, pointing towards the appropriate transmission site, with no local obstructions is recommended and will give the best results.

The spectrum used for wireless services is becoming more and more congested. This includes the radio spectrum used for television broadcasting which is reducing. As different services are moving closer and closer together cross service interference becomes more of an issue. If you are doing work, or having work done on your television aerial, RTÉNL recommend that you ensure that the aerial is restricted, in so far as is possible, to the television broadcast band only (UHF channel 21 to 60). To protect your television services against interference into the future frequencies / channels above and below this should be filtered out.

SAORVIEW FAQ (2rn.ie)

Advertisement