Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving from CS to Public Sector to lower grade

• 12-01-2021 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Background; Currently in CS a long time in professional grade roughly HEO equivalent. Have hated my area and role a long time but lateral moves within stream don't appeal at all. Moves to admin streams seem to be impossible (secondments refused as a replacement wouldn't be sanctioned) unless through open comp, meaning I have to go for promotion to AP, the responsibility of which doesn't appeal at the moment. I feel really trapped but don't want to give up the salary and security.. The only reasons I've stuck it this long!
    I have seen a few public sector roles at roughly EO level which I am thinking of applying for. I don't think I can take a career break for public sector job? Anyone know for sure?
    A move such as this could take me out of CS and future interdepartmental comps, but would give me some good grounding in policy development/ implementation that I am probably lacking.
    I reckon I would go in at top of scale but doubt they would put me on the LSI points, either way it's less pay. Am I mad?? :rolleyes::confused: Would it look bad to be effectively applying for demotion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Background; Currently in CS a long time in professional grade roughly HEO equivalent. Have hated my area and role a long time but lateral moves within stream don't appeal at all. Moves to admin streams seem to be impossible (secondments refused as a replacement wouldn't be sanctioned) unless through open comp, meaning I have to go for promotion to AP, the responsibility of which doesn't appeal at the moment. I feel really trapped but don't want to give up the salary and security.. The only reasons I've stuck it this long!
    I have seen a few public sector roles at roughly EO level which I am thinking of applying for. I don't think I can take a career break for public sector job? Anyone know for sure?
    A move such as this could take me out of CS and future interdepartmental comps, but would give me some good grounding in policy development/ implementation that I am probably lacking.
    I reckon I would go in at top of scale but doubt they would put me on the LSI points, either way it's less pay. Am I mad?? :rolleyes::confused: Would it look bad to be effectively applying for demotion?

I moved to a different area of the country and the quickest way was to apply for a lower grade.
    Best thing I did except for the pay cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

I reckon I would go in at Am I mad?? :rolleyes::confused: Would it look bad to be effectively applying for demotion?

You're mad if you stay in a job you hate. Sure there's a drop in salary however I would place my own sanity and happiness over a salary. Sure you can do this job for the next few year and hate it but why bother. HEO is well paid and the upper end of the EO isn't badly paid.

Do you need the money? I mean everyone needs money but could your commitments be covered on an EO salary? If so, jump ship, you can always apply for HEO for a promotion in a year or 2.

Alternatively, consider applying for the AO competition that runs annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Awkwardstroke

While I understand your frustration, Duch a move has implications for annual leave (less each year), less pay (which you noted) and also our future pension (could be a big difference).
    While it’s tough to be in a boring work area, the civil service is very broad and there is surely some more interesting roles somewhere?

Just some thoughts as a fellow civil servant, good luck with your decision
    whampiri wrote: »
    You're mad if you stay in a job you hate. Sure there's a drop in salary however I would place my own sanity and happiness over a salary. Sure you can do this job for the next few year and hate it but why bother. HEO is well paid and the upper end of the EO isn't badly paid.

Do you need the money? I mean everyone needs money but could your commitments be covered on an EO salary? If so, jump ship, you can always apply for HEO for a promotion in a year or 2.

Alternatively, consider applying for the AO competition that runs annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,986 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is the mobility scheme available to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

Thanks for the replies. I was having a v bad week. Things have panned out where I am but to answer some points above; no mobility scheme available to my stream/grade. I have applied to AO many times but have missed out on stage 2 due to stage 1 scores.
    Yes moving to a lower grade would have implications to pension, hols etc and self esteem probably!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Awkwardstroke

One of the good things about the civil service is the possibility to get further study funded and this can help with future promotions (or changes in roles & responsibilities).
    Thanks for the replies. I was having a v bad week. Things have panned out where I am but to answer some points above; no mobility scheme available to my stream/grade. I have applied to AO many times but have missed out on stage 2 due to stage 1 scores.
    Yes moving to a lower grade would have implications to pension, hols etc and self esteem probably!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭billyhead

Sorry to reopen an old thread but would it be madness to apply for an open advertised competition job in the civil service 2 grades down from the current grade you are on. Also do you think it would it go against the individual aswell in an interview?

It would probably be difficult for them to 'go against you'. Their only role in interview is to assess your ability to do the job, not to judge your life story.

Having said that, it seems like a strange thing to do. How would this help you?

It would be for a role I've always had an interest in and hopefully I would move up the grades again within that area.

Sounds like a good reason, in fairness, for a very specific role like that.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I'd see that as more of a plus than a negative.

"I see you're an AP, billy, why would you go for a new job as an EO?"

"well, to be honest, this area has always interested me, it's something that I feel would be a good fit for both me and for the role, I'm comfortable enough taking the hit financially to work in an area that I find exciting and am confident that I can progress further blah blah blah".

If I were an interviewer, that would weigh heavily in your favour. I got a job years go and one of the questions in the interview was something like..."are you applying for many jobs at the moment?". I answered along the lines of "No, I feel I'm in a good place right now both in work and outside, I'm financially okay, and feel that I am in the enviable position of being able to cherry-pick roles that I feel would be mutually beneficial". It was a load of bollocks, really, but months later I found out from the interviewer that the answer I gave was what swung it for me.

Thanks for the response. I'm considering applying for the job. The financial hit is something I'm not concerned about. Its more about a work area that interests me and something I would hopefully enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

I've applied to do similar, I assume current pay point wouldn't carry even if the payscales still interect at the point I'm on, would all service count towards starting pay?

So if in CS 8 years regardless of time spent at grades, would you start on point 8 of the new payscale?

I realise I've both articulated that poorly and should address it towards PAS/HR rather than an internet forum.

Post edited by Acquiescence on

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ofallypam

Just had some advise on this. I work in education and have just moved down a grade (from IV to III clerical officer). They won’t consider my grade IV experience the salary scale, is that correct?

Advertisement