Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to leave/take when moving out?

• 22-01-2022 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

When moving out of a house, what do you leave or take with regard to wall mounted mounted TVs and speakers?

In our house right now we've got 2 wall mounted TVs, with Sonos soundbars and rear wall mounted speakers. Sonos gear is not cheap, so don't really want to leave it behind, but leaving holes in the wall and power cables hanging out of the wall looks very tatty. Similarly, TV's are new, we want to take them, so do we just leave brackets on the wall? Take the wall brackets and leave holes in the plasterboard?

I assume once it's documented and clarified with buyers what's included / excluded that anything goes but are there any rules/etiquette/standards applied here?

Thanks!

Comments

Why would you leave them? They are your belongings.

Unless you have a specific deal with the buyers to buy these things, take them. I assume anything you are leaving, such as window furnishings or white foods are specified in your contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Taking the TV / speakers of course makes sense.

Taking the bracket off the wall and leave dirty big rawl plugs and cbales hanging out of the wall, feels a little nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I think i would discuss as it work for you both... they will likely get a bit cheaper than new and save hassle if it works...

ah I see, well you could ask them I guess, I wouldn't want a tv bracket, but they might!

I know someone that bought a house and previous owner took everything, down to lightbulb and toilet roll holders off the walls 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

We offered to sell the sonos system, tv brackets and one of the tv to the buyer when we sold our last place, separate to the actual house sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,352 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Unless otherwise stated, they're buying the house, not anything on the walls.

We only found out when we moved in that the previous owners took the washing machine and dryer with them. I doubt people would be bothered with tv brackets being gone. Sure you've no idea where they want to hang the Tv (or if they even want a Tv for that matter)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Generally you leave “fixtures” and can take “fittings”. Fixtures are attaché to the building - fittings are not (unless by a nail or screw) - https://www.cjhole.co.uk/news/fixtures-and-fittings-guide

Having said that - I think you should fix any holes you leave!

Take your belongings OP and then get someone in to fix the holes.

Its not a big job fixing a few holes on a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If it is notmlisted in the contracts then you take it with you.

We left an integrated dishwasher when we moved as it was of no use to us and would have been playing silly buggers pulling the kitchen apart. Other than that we left 1 wardrobe and that was just coz we couldn't move it.

We took down the TV brackets when we left. Didn't look great but the reasonable assumption is that they are going to put a TV there anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I know someone who got to their new house on moving day and found that there was a washing machine and dryer left in the utility room.

They had their own which were in far better condition than the ones left.

But they now had nowhere to put their own. They were disgusted that the vendors had left what amounted to their rubbish in the house for them to dispose of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

When I moved in to a place the light bulbs were gone and they took the gas cooker leaving an open gas line so we couldn't switch on the heating till it was closed off.

The brackets would be fittings that should be included in the sale but the tv and speakers would not. I would not fill any holes that make it easier to install a TV and speaker wires. People always leave stuff behind when selling unless it is a huge amount a skip for €200 will do. Just an expected cost. Wouldn't be too bothered by a washing machine left behind as you just drop them off at a bring centre free of charge.

Asking the buyer is the best option and if they aren't interested in it let them know there will be holes in the wall. Anybody buying a 2nd hand house should expect such things. Sounds like you are worrying unnecessarily.

Leaving huge old appliances that have to be unplumbed and thrown in a skip before you can bring your own ones is no on at all, unless you were specifically asked to leave them.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Take the lot.

Take the chimney pots... you can use them as flower pots in your new place

Take the garden gate... you can chop it up for a bonfire next 5th November

Take the sink... it's an ideal bath size for your pet dog or cat

Take the floorboards up... there could be hidden treasures under there. On second thoughts maybe not - there could be bodies.

How difficult do you think it is to unplumb a washing machine? if it doesn't alreasy have the cut off valve you will want to add one anyway. Takes less than 5 minute.

Why throw it in a skip when it is free at a bring centre or any electrical appliance suppliers like Power City. Not the nicest but you make it sound like the biggest inconvenience in the world when it is a minor inconvenience.

I don't know how many pre-owned properties you bought but to expect it to be completely empty is naive it is pretty standard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If you want the property completely empty then you have to be very prescriptive ie do you want light bulbs left? Flooring? Carpets? etc

The meanest thing I ever saw was a guy who lived next door to me siphoning the oil out of his oil tank the day he was moving out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Vacant possession means just that and if waste is left behind you can refuse to close the sale until it is removed. It is a simple matter of going to the property on the morning of the intended closing and checking that it is empty.

Yeah that is really practical and vital you do it. Unless it is some huge issue just get over it and acknowledge it for what it is a minor cost and inconvenience.

This certainly points out very good reasons for landlords not letting places unfurnished as the cost to remove stuff to rental income it is not a minor thing unlike the purchase of a property.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are The speakers not in the walls ? So removing tyem

us the same as removing a socket.

while the sonos isn’t cheap, neither is the house. Or doors, windows etc.

where the Sonos mentioned in any of the advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Persistently_Curious

The house I am sale agreed on is really nicely decorated. I was wondering would it be appropriate for me to approach the vendor (through the estate agent) to see if they might be open to selling any of it to me? Is that done frequently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It'd be pretty common tbh. Just make sure to be very prescriptive about what you want/don't want and make sure you're comfortable with the figure.

It was a common stamp duty dodge back in the day where you would approach and exceed a stamp duty limit the surplus would be deemed sale of contents. Not legal but multiple estate agents suggested it to me in the early 2000s so it must have been fairly widespread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

At one time stamp duty was 6% above 50k and 4% below. A house sold for 55k might have 49k on the contract and there would be a @contents agreement@ for 6k. The contents agreement would be burned after the closing. It was almost routine at the time.

I you turn your house upside down figuratively, and something falls to the ceiling then it's not part of the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Everybody.

"Vacant possession" means that the property should be handed over to the buyer without any people or possessions inside, unless those possessions are included in the contract.

It means in theory that leaving white goods behind which are not included in the contract could be considered a breach of the contract.

"Vacant possession" is standard in virtually every property sale, and if you're getting a mortgage the bank will insist on it.

Aside from the law, leaving behind large appliances to be thrown out, or a shed full of rubbish, is a dick move. Anyone who does it is an asshole. I always assume the kind of people who do this are spiteful and resent the buyer for some reason.

If you don't want it, how hard is it to throw it out yourself rather than leaving it for someone else to have to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well I doubt anyone following me would be delighted to see the integrated fridge and dish washers etc ripped out

Did someone mention sheds full of rubbish? I didn't. Was that in response to someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Integrated appliances you would generally specify in the contract as being part of the sale. And a buyer who didn't verify that has only themselves to blame when they have no appliances.

Freestanding appliances are always assumed to not be included unless specified.

Ive bought several pre owned properties. I never expected to have a crap washing machine left in any of them for sure.

OAP Mary who just moved in down the road says its harder for her than you seem to think :)

She doesnt have the tools, the knowhow to unplumb the washing machine. But she does have a bus pass to get it to the recycle center if she can lift it. Or at worse maybe she can get it in boot of her sisters micra.

• Advertisement

OAPs are the majority of people buying houses and it is such a common problem for them! Come on get with reality for the majority it is not really an issue and exaggerating how difficult it is and who is effected. People do not full clear out property, may not be the nicest but barely an issue for most

Advertisement