Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Expired licence - Can I drive? Insurance valid?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

No no no, it's the guard that needs to be not wearing the hat.

Do people know nothing any more?

Sheesh! 🙄

It seems from earlier posts that the OP does indeed have a PSC, so the online renewal option is open to him but he doesn't want to use it because of the picture that will be on the licence.

I'm not sure that would wear as a defence of not having a current licence.

OP, just renew online. If you're that precious about the picture get it done again in person with a new picture when things have settled down and offices are freely open again.

(FWIW, I renewed mine in person in an office at the height of covid restrictions, so it is possible. I could not, however get an appointment to see a doctor at the time to get a required medical report, so I've temporarily lost some categories, so I'll have to go back at some stage and do another application to get them put back on).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..... or simply turn up without an appointment and they'll place you in a separate waiting area and call you when they have a 'no show'. I'm not sure if it's the same in all centers but that's what they were doing in Santry the last time I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can renew if it's expired less than 5 years for a learners permit or 10 years for a licence. After that time you have to start again with theory test, EBT/IBT, N plate/tabbard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭kirk.

Hi did u have to upload a photo when you renewed ,?

I'm not seeing it anywhere so far on the online renewal, I'm at the end uploading medical report before payment

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭denismc

I renewed like for like, so I didn't change the photo at all even though my current photo is over 8 years old.

• Advertisement

Thanks so how did they get the photo for new licence

Did u have to post the old licence in ?

No everything is online, essentially you are getting your old license with a new expiry date, I bit like when your bank card expires.

Ok I'm still lost tbh I'll probably ring them

What I'm trying to grasp if if you dont give them your old licence where does the photo come from on the renewed licence

It'll probably all be clear after I upload the report and pay I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 27,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It comes from your verified online public services mygovid profile based on your public services card.

If you don't have a public service card valid, or haven't got a verified mygov profile, you cant renew online.

https://www.mygovid.ie/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Cheers ya I'm in a panic with this so don't want any screwups

I'm doing it through mygov and have the PSC card

So there's no pic needed just upload the medical report and pay ?

I assume also they have the address on file

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I havent done it yet but that sounds as expected - will use your photo and address from mygovid / psc.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

So first of all this is the link I used,

Just follow the instructions, if your Licence is more than 3 months out of date you will have to go in person to the NDLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

There was no photo needed when I renewed online recently. I assumed they'd re-use the photo they'd taken at the NDLS centre (mine's almost flattering), but they used the one from getting my PSC card. I now have the same rather horrible photo on 2 cards, from way back when I didn't know quite where the camera was or when it would shoot (trivial, I know!).

Just to add that should you get an email afterwards re a missing document(s), with a 'details' link that doesn't work, don't bother replying to it to ask what documents - just ring their helpline ASAP.

It's the first time I've renewed online (having finally managed to get fully registered on MyGovid after years of trying), I answered the questions then uploaded photos (both sides) of my over-70s medical report. Or rather assumed I had (coudn't see any sign of whether they'd uploaded ok or not, but thought that was just the flaky MyGovid software).

I then got that email, with the broken link (just a generic icon meaning 'picture', that had no effect from my Android phone, or from my Windows laptop apart from an 'url not found' error. I hadn't a clue if the medical upload had failed, or if they were waiting for some other document that I didn't know about from the scattergun guidance. I replied to that email (twice) asking what they needed, and wasted about a week waiting to hear.

I then gave in and rang the helpline (not easy here with a weak mobile signal). Second time I tried, there were only 4 callers to go, so I hung on. The very helpful and patient person I got was able to look into my case, and tell me it was the medical report missing. They instructed me to post it, spelling everything out carefully (and checked that my queries were resolved before ending the call). The new licence arrived about a week after posting the report (in my case meaning only 2 or 3 days without a valid licence).

I didn't want to take up extra time asking them if it was just me getting the duff link. But judging from the lack of reaction (e.g.surprise, or 'What browser?' and so on), I'd guess not.

Doesn't sound promising kinda , what I feared with these systems

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Sorry - didn't mean to put you off! I expect it usually works (and it's very quick, even over my slowish connection). It's probably just that if there's a software bug somewhere I always seem to run into it!

And where it could cause a big problem for some, and looks elementary to fix, and there seems to be no channel for alerting the organisation to errors, I find it particularly rant-inducing. (Same with instructions that obviously haven't been tested on someone who doesn't already know what to do and in what order!).

Advertisement