Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who will be joining & leaving cabinet with the Taoiseach swap on 15/12?

• 24-02-2022 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

One thing that's handy for the leaders of this little arrangement is that when Micheal Martin resigns on December 15, the whole cabinet will be deemed to be resigned too, so they'll be no messing around having to ask individual ministers to write a resignation letter, I think Stephen Donnelly definitely wouldn't be reappointed, he's the Eoghan Murphy/Joan Burton/Dick Roach of this government, hated by everyone.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

My only prediction will be MM to Foreign Affairs and Coveney to Education.

EDIT: Actually, I can also see Hildegarde Naughton and Jack Chambers being promoted to the top table. Probably at the expense of Donnelly and Norma Foley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

You'd imagine Dara Calleary will be back in some capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭howiya

The party leaders will still control the amount of cabinet seats each party has so you won't see Naughton and Chambers replace two FF ministers. It'd have to be one of each.

I think the reshuffle will be quite limited. A lot of people will cite the lost years of the pandemic as having prevented them doing more in their respective briefs. Certainly in the high profile departments such as housing. Imagine if we'd another housing minister and another plan etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Eamonn Ryan hopefully. At least get him out of transport. Absolutely useless.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Calleary back is the absolute definite. McConnalogue will probably be kept due to the geography, albeit I suspect he's sunk for re-election anyway over the mica stuff; so an FFer will have to be pushed overboard. Foley or Donnelly.

There is an extremely outside chance that Martin would actually leave cabinet entirely and allow for a leadership election etc as I suspect his will to lead in to the next election is diminishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hard to see many changes to be honest - I'd say Anne Rabbitte could get a promotion maybe to Education or Health. I'm not sure though if it will be Varadkar. I half suspect he'll be dethroned and it becomes a fight between Paschal Donohoe, Simon Harris and Helen McEntee for Taoiseach.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭billyhead

Heather Humphreys will probably get a better Department.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I think having the first Taoiseach under criminal investigation being from 'the law and order party' will be quite humorous.

Do we think Barry Cowen will get an all is forgiven top spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cowen is not in an all-is-forgiven position. Calleary is.

Calleary resigning unprompted - or at least publicly unprompted - ensured he could come back. The court outcome has accelerated that process. Cowen was sacked due to refusing to resign after a leak of something the party leader should have known about. Massively different.

Calleary could still, possibly, be the next leader of FF. Cowen is backbench for life now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Agree on Calleary to a point, but he still attended during lockdown. Not so sure about Cowen. I think Martin will fade away during, if not soon after Varadkar's go. Could open up the field for Cowen to get back up there.

Calleary could have done far worse and be redeemed by having resigned on his own terms. Being sacked usually stops that forever.

Phil Hogan even recovered by resigning. Once. Won't happen again.

Advertisement