Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antonov 225 reportedly Destroyed

• 24-02-2022 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

Not sure how true this is.....

As per this story the rumour is it caught fire in a Hangar after a helicopter gun fight broke out over the airport in which it was in, another story is that it crash landed with 16 Crew on board....

Airlive.net are confirming AN225 is on the ground in Hostomel Kyiv but apparently FR24 are reporting it flew to Penang in Malaysia this morning. FR24 is currently using a waiting room with a wait time of 32 minutes.

Post edited by Board Walker on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Unfortunately the plane that flew to Penang was an AN124.

UR-82060 (the AN225) is on the ground in GML since its last flight from BLL on February 5.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maconof

A real shame if true, going by the sheer amount of reports of it happening it seems most likely.

Saw it last year at SNN, always a fantastic one to watch fly in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ah no..... it was fairly high up my bucket list to see that IRL some time :(

Dmitry Antonov says the aircraft is intact – for the moment anyway.

https://www.facebook.com/antonovd124/posts/10216499468877903

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Condor24

Yeah, it's only a material loss on the scheme of things but it was a fantastic site for aviation geeks, and that wing wave leaving Shannon a couple of years ago. I hope the crew are safe wherever they are. They'll not make one again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

He says it's "whole", but that does not mean it's not damaged or indeed will be lost in due course, there has been some intense fighting at Hostomel Airport in the last few hours since Dmitry posted that message with Ukraine forces apparently taking back control, the area was/is likely subject to fierce attack from air and ground and if Ukraine is back in control I can see Russia repeatedly attacking the airport:-

Bombing raids are likely to be less forgiving then the targeted helicopter attacks on the airport of last night. The faith of Mriya really won't be clear until all this ends, how long that will be nobody knows.

All that aside even if she survives the conflict there would be every possibility she may never fly again, apparently the maintenance hangers and equipment have been heavily damaged/destroyed and it's possible she may be damaged beyond economical repair or parts required for her are hard to get, take Antaeus for example, apparently she has been sidelined for months due to awaiting simple parts for the rotors which can only be got from Russia, which at the best of times before all this were near impossible to get.

That asides there's also the possibility that Antonov itself may not survive the conflict, some of their A124s were in the air and managed to divert to other locations, but what about the rest of their fleet?

Anyone know what was on the ground other than the 22, 225 and their 74?

Post edited by GM228 on

If some Tweets, reports and videos coming through this morning are accurate it looks as though the Russians are going for the airport again this morning and throwing plenty at it (potentially worse than yesterday), I would be very surprised if she makes it out of all of this (or indeed any of the rest of the Antonov fleet stranded there), but, at the end of the day as majestic as she is she is only a plane, my true concern is for the people of Ukraine 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Board Walker

A good air strike to the runway would send the Russians off to another air field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

This photo is doing the rounds on Facebook at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Condor24

They say that's the hangar it was in, therefore destroyed. Would have been surprised if it survived this much longer anyway. Material loss as they say but I hope they build a new one in peacetime.

• Advertisement

Sad to see, but as others have noted, a small thing given what's going on.

When all this strive is over I imagine the Ukrainians will have better things to do than build planes – but I have to admit I like the idea of an An-225 NEO.

Ukrainiani Minister for Foreign affairs has announced that the 225 was destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Antonov saying they don't know, the official Ukraine twitter saying it is destroyed.

If I was a betting man, I'd say its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Why the hell wasnt she flown out before all this!

From my understanding it was under maintenance but as well as that the Ukrainians didn't take the warnings of the west as serious as they should of in regards to the invasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭crushproof

Does anyone know the status of the Ukrainian International airlines fleet? I wonder if they flew them out of the country in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Theres 2 Ukranian Antonov 124s in Leipzig at the mo, plus 3 Russian Volga/Dnepr 124s which wont be going anywhere quick - so it would be an interesting visit to that airport at the moment.

Of the rest, 2 seem to be in Kiev but the others are abroad. https://www.radarbox.com/data/airlines/adb?tab=photos

Ironically, the Russian ones are in Leipzig for servicing so its a wonder the Ukranians didn't think of doing that with the 225 (although.... maybe getting a hangar big enough would be an issue for the worlds biggest plane!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Seen it a little over a month ago in Rzeszow.

I believe they only had 1 124 in Gostomel along with the 225, 22 and 74, possibly all lost.

The other 124 in Kiev is actually at Sviatoshyn for the last year (receiving upgrades I believe), that is the location of the Antonov plant (and the location of the second unfinished 225), there has been no mention if that was one of the many airports targeted.

Antonov are still operating (obviously not from Gostomel, possibly from Sviatoshyna) and I believe Amtes Aircraft Maintenance and Engineering Service in Leipzig is the only company outside of Ukraine and Russia who have the expertise and parts to keep Antonov aircraft going, so they can still run a limited service, but, I'm sure the parts will only last so long and supply lines from the Ukraine and Russia will be limited if non existent.

Also worth remembering their pilots and crews, just like their aircraft are also currently displaced and no sign in sight of them getting back to base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

"99% sure that it's destroyed". Straight from the horse's mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY7qtAmv7Ak

He also confirms the AN26, AN28 and AN74 destroyed, no mention of the AN22 or AN124.

Only spotting it now, but Ukroboronprom (the parent company of Antonov) confirmed in a press release on Sunday that she has indeed been destroyed, but, they also said they will rebuild her:-

"And after the victory, we will definitely finish our new "Mriya", which has been waiting for this in a safe place for many years"

Obviously talking of using the second unfinished AN225, and probably more of a statement of defiance, weather that happens or not only time will tell, certainly can't see them getting $3bn off Russia to do it.

Post edited by GM228 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Footage online in the last hour or so showing it burning inside the hangar. Just the nose cone and one engine visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

Such a shame from an aviation point of view. Obviously, there's worse things happening in Ukraine at the moment.

Hopefully it gets rebuilt sometime in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There is the second AN225 which was never completed ?

Id assume once things are over and the Ukrainians are back on their feet (fingers crossed) there will be a push to have the second one completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Where's the 2nd one held up ?

Advertisement