Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

400km+ EVs. What are the choices?

• 17-02-2022 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭

Little background:

I'm taking a new job and will be losing the company van. Myself and the OH have had 2 Nissan Leafs for over 5 years and will never go ICE again. Problem is the low range of around 100km. My new job location is commutable without charging in the Leaf, but I will occasionally be sent to work on other client premises which could be Derry, Limerick, Sligo or anywhere. The new job includes a car allowance as part of the salary, so it's a good excuse to upgrade 😋. It's enough to cover the running costs, not the finance. I am budgeting up to 50k over 5 years. Assuming trade in of 5k and cash 5k for deposit with the rest on finance, so that should be 10k(ish) per year for 5 years including running costs as I don't do much mileage in general.

I'd love a 7 seater EV to accommodate the family on the weekends, but the options aren't really there, so we will make do with two 5 seat EVs and keep the family outings local. I am leaning toward a Tesla M3 and I really like the Ioniq 5. The ID4 is not a bad looking thing either, but whatever I buy will be a full BEV. I am not in a big rush and can wait a few months if need be, using the Leaf and renting a car on the occasions I need more range.

What are the choices? I'd like to be sure I have considered all realistic options rather than just picking one of my top 2.

Stay Free

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

2 points....

I would wait for the few months.

(a) Practically all manufacturers appear to be unveiling EV's this year.

(b) Nearly every current manufacturer seems unable to supply you with a new EV within the next 6 months....at least.

If you are stuck for a spin to Derry, or wherever, you can always just hire something for the job for now.

If you really want to put down a deposit now, the ID4 or the Kia EV6 both have the range and the looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭sh81722

Tesla Model 3 RWD with the new increased capacity LFP batteries that charge quickly and will last for a very looooong time. Tesla are a very tried and tested car at this stage of their lifecycle and a massive jump from the L24 (apart from the boot opening that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,356 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

LFP Model 3 SR would be my suggestion, best value for the money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Model 3 RWD is what they call it now, and the SuC network (which may or may not be opened in Ireland) kicks ass on reliability and perhaps for you their locations (Limerick anyhow).

You could also get a used Model S with change with free SuC and it's gigantic on interior space

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

Beware northern Ireland public charging is a disaster, Eniskillen charger broken for years, derry only has one 50+kW free to use, very busy, putting out max 30kW. All of NI is a disaster, see plugshare app for real status, many chargers will be replaced there this year, but there still won't be half enough to cope.

In terms of 400km, beware it may take 1+ hour to refill a big 80kWh battery EV, I am not sure your trip types but if I was a travelling salesman type travelling all over I would consider a diesel for less hassle. If going full EV consider the extra time and hassle charging and possibly delays in getting to destinations or home again. The Tesla supercharger network gives peace of mind on certain routes, with a good few new sites opening for sure this year. You may get a Tesla fast, while other cars may have 6+ month waiting lists. Beware depreciation, wear and tear, repair costs after damage or chips, compared to say a one year old used eniro for 34/36k

It charges slower, it's older styling, but in general terms a very decent EV. I would be worried about year one depreciation on any new car. The Niro range may not be 400km guaranteed unless you go slow in winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

on plugshare is there a quick way to see whats working and not? a lot of the chargers dont have a check in or update in several months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭innrain

Not really. Plugshare is community driven. If there are no checkins doesn't necessarily mean it is not working but people who use it don't use plugshare. Those chargers checked regularly get a score from 1-10. One with less than 5 is... better look elsewhere. You can ask on here or ieova group and maybe someone knows about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I test drove a Model 3 for the second time today and I took the Ioniq 5 for a test drive too. I liked the Ioniq, but for the range I want, I need to bump up to the €47k price point. The sales person was offering 7k off a 2012 Leaf, so that wasn't bad. The M3 just felt more refined to me and was a nicer ride. The Ioniq wasn't far behind though and I like the dimensions and the styling. I think the next step is to find out what Tesla would offer for the Leaf, or see about selling it privately if I pull the trigger and place an order.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

Tesla don't do trade-in so you will have to sell it privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

That's odd, because they gave me an online trade-in price for my other Leaf before Christmas. And if you click the menu on the site, the 3rd option down is "trade in"

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

Interesting!

Up to very recently they didn't do trade in against their cars.

Friend was looking to go from e220d to M3 & was told he would have to sell it privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Tesla are doing trade in's, you probably wont get a good price. I was offered 2 grand less than what i was getting of zucar.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭speedfreak

I got a better trade in price from Tesla than Zucar and the like. Local dealer giving me 1k more though so going with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

What about the MG ZS EV?

Should get you the 400km you're looking for, and save you a good few quid at the same time.

Plus has a 7 year warranty!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Vinnymcdonnell

I would say the Model 3 SR will get anywhere near 400 Kms, this is coming from someone who had 2x M3 Performances so the biggest battery and currently in a large battery Model S. The Performance when driven like a saint wouldn't get to 400kms, the Model S will get near it but again driving like a saint. Wife had an Electric Kona that would do much more range than the Tesla's, and a work college has the new Kia EV6, he drives from Tralee to Dublin once a week and range isn't an issue either

Advertisement