Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Power Box

Options
  • 18-03-2017 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Nugent power box is being advertised quite a bit cheaper than competitors. Is it as good ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

brownswiss wrote: »
    Nugent power box is being advertised quite a bit cheaper than competitors. Is it as good ?

Great box. Fleming is a lighter box. Nugent gear is generally top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Gormley 6 ' is €720 and the Nugent 6 ' is €850. Have any of you seen the Gormley box? How do they compare ?.. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭leoch

I bought a new one of a guy on donedeal makes them it's red with yellow ram heavy well made box but only tips about 40 45 degrees and it's a hoor to get dung or the likes out of it do other boxes tip any steeper or would a powered top link help

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭tanko

leoch wrote: »
    I bought a new one of a guy on donedeal makes them it's red with yellow ram heavy well made box but only tips about 40 45 degrees and it's a hoor to get dung or the likes out of it do other boxes tip any steeper or would a powered top link help

Have a Fleming one here, hydraulic top link on the tractor is a good help for emptying them alrite.
    Some dung has magnetic qualities tho, wont come out even if the box was upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

leoch wrote: »
    I have a cashel one and it tips about the same. I don't have a hydraulic top link so I usually have top link out to last and this helps tip it more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭memorystick

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. Thinking of buying a Nugent power box. Just wondering how effective they are as a weight when full of sand or 804. Trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I have a woods box and it will tip up to 70 degrees by my guess. The only thing i’ve Had trouble emptying out if it was snow

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Aravo

Make a weight if you can. When you want the weight out to use the box it will be a pain afterwards putting material back in when you need the weight. On labour saving and general guntering and I'm no expert.
    Pg 377 post 5642

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Box full is a good weight but if ur in tight corners it has to be watched. Better with a dedicated weight tucked in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

We filled a tyre full of concrete and would put that in the box as a weight, found it handy as could drop it off and pick it up anywhere

• Advertisement

satstheway wrote: »
    Box full is a good weight but if ur in tight corners it has to be watched. Better with a dedicated weight tucked in

Well they are fairly tidy but I see your point. Have you a single or double ram? Would 6ft be perfect?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

curious what are you trying to counter weight? on what size tractor?

Well they are fairly tidy but I see your point. Have you a single or double ram? Would 6ft be perfect?

We have a single ram Fleming since 2002. Cant see the need for a double ram I can lift 2 round bales in it 😵.
    Its 7 foot. Try to get 1 as wide as the tractor for levelling or filling against a wall. If the tractor can lift it that is.

Hagimalone wrote: »
    curious what are you trying to counter weight? on what size tractor?

I’ve a handy John Deere with loader but I need a weight on the back when at bales. I’ve no transport box and a weight is very cumbersome when you need to take it on or off. A power box with 804 or a barrel of concrete would be handier. Going fencing or whatever. Empty stuff refill

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Aravo

If you have a bucket on the loader, will the power box be used that much.

Aravo wrote: »
    If you have a bucket on the loader, will the power box be used that much.

I suppose. They’re a handy yolk to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I suppose. They’re a handy yolk to have.
    We have a nugent power box here and it is the most used implement on the farm. It's about 15 y/o and has seen lots of abuse over the years. We had to weld in a steel strip along the under edge of the lip to strengthen it a few years ago as it was getting worn cleaning out sheds, boxing stone etc.

As satstheway said get one the width of the tractor and it will leave a clean finish against the wall if your cleaning out sheds.

Thanks for the advice. Going to go with the Nugent 6 ft 6. The 7 ft is 4 inches wider than the tractor. It might be that little more awkward around the feeding passage and yard.

6 inches mightn’t seem a lot but if it’s in the way it could do shocking harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Thanks for the advice. Going to go with the Nugent 6 ft 6. The 7 ft is 4 inches wider than the tractor. It might be that little more awkward around the feeding passage and yard.

6 inches mightn’t seem a lot but if used properly it’s all a man needs.
    DOH, width is more important ;)

• Advertisement

€950 for 6 foot and €1200 for 7. Nugent. There a dear yolk. 6 foot mightn’t be as awkward around the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

€950 for 6 foot and €1200 for 7. Nugent. There a dear yolk. 6 foot mightn’t be as awkward around the yard.

Get it that it is as wide as the back wheels of the tractor of possible.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Bottom of the ram looks like it's positioned very far out from the box and the ram overall looks quite long. leaving the frame high.obviously has to be like that if using that length of ram.

just doesn't look right too me anyway.
    mc kenna box here. very well made .

martins garage in cavan sell them memory if looking for a price.

ruwithme wrote: »
    Bottom of the ram looks like it's positioned very far out from the box and the ram overall looks quite long. leaving the frame high.obviously has to be like that if using that length of ram.

just doesn't look right too me anyway.
    mc kenna box here. very well made .

martins garage in cavan sell them memory if looking for a price.

Going with Nugent. €50 of a difference between
    Carey and Deering. Deering nearer but dearer. Don’t want 7 foot as I think it’s a little wide for shed when using loader.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Robson99

Great piece of machinery.
    Only issue i have is getting it high enough for ****e to come out of it when tipping

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Are any of you using a power box on old small tractors ?

I have a 6' box on a 2 wheel drive Zetor 7711. Delighted that I bought the power box but you need to be careful putting it on. Someone was adjusting mine to get the top link on and got caught with the frame. They should have been standing in the box and not between it and the tractor but they could not reach and did not think. They will not do it again but are lucky to have gotten a second chance....Putting on the top link on the old box was never an issue as it was closer to the tractor and a much lower frame

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Red Sheds

I use a 7 foot Malone box on a MF 185. I used to have the same issues putting it on as you with the top link. Now I just put in the hoses first and can use the ram to control it when putting in the toplink, at least no one will get crushed. Its a very heavy box on the tractor even when empty and really I should have weights on the front when it has a full load on, often times have to drive slowly with the lift low so the box is almost touching the ground to keep the front down. Great tool though and big benefit is its wider than the tractor. I wouldn't have got one so wide it only it came up secondhand, but very glad I got he wide one now.

I’ve a Nugent 7 foot ordered for over 2 years. My patience is beginning to run out. I see a woods one for sale. Are they as good? How about Eurospec or Multec? Based in the North? I wouldn’t bother with Fleming.

I wouldn't fault the fleming. This is a 7' single ram. It's put some lorry loads of drainage stone through it and it can easily take 2 round bales.

It hasn't gotten an easy life but I always leave it set on a block tilting down so water runs off

• Advertisement

She's 20 this year

Advertisement