Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesla Model 3 - Motorway driving thoughts

• 22-02-2022 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

HI, long story short my wife is considering model 3 but she does Limerick to Dublin trip at least once a week which is 210km one way of which about 180km (maybe more) is mortorway driving. She will not be able to keep to 100km/hr (ie will be at speed limit of 120km/hr). Recently I got the i pace and would definitely mean a quick charge on way up and again on way back especially this time of year (and have learnt to ignore the published/predicted mileage numbers). Normally this is not an issue but she will be leaving Limerick around 5am to get to where she needs to be on time and just wants to get home when finished i.e. does not want the stop to charge on way up and preferably not on the way home either.

Is it doable (taking it as winter driving, 120kmh on motorway, 18inch wheels, ac on)...

1. To go up/down on one charge with the Long Range model (I think not)
    2. To get there and only get a charge on the way back with the long range model (I think yes)
    3. To get there and only get a charge on the way back with the rear wheel drive option (I think not, would need a charge both ways)

Last question: Is the only differences between the single motor and the long range the obvious enough range and top speed/0-100kms (ie is it worth the €16k difference)?

Las last question: Or is there a better option (roughly same money) that we should be considering?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Is the only differences between the single motor and the long range the obvious enough range and top speed/0-100kms (ie is it worth the €16k difference)?

LR has upgraded sound and much faster charging speeds (up to 250kW I think) but this on on the V3 Superchargers so not Limerick/Ballacolla/Tralee/Castlebellingham

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I don't know much about electric cars but how bad is the range of them at motorway speed in the winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

They've bumped the range of the standard version up enough recently to make the extra money for the long range not really worth it, so I wouldn't be surprised if the long range suddenly appeared with a bigger battery in the future which might do the trick for you. 420km of mostly motorway in winter is beyond pretty much every EV now I'd think bar maybe the most expensive Model S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

3 -> Nah. You would not need to charge both ways even in winter in the old SR+ or "new" 22 RWD.

TeslaBjorn does real world winter drives at 120km in Norway, which is usually a lot colder than there.

283km in SR+ at 120km, 10 degrees temp.

Results here, this is a good list if you are buying with specific range needs like you.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V6ucyFGKWuSQzvI8lMzvvWJHrBS82echMVJH37kwgjE/edit#gid=735351678

The new LFP form batteries will never make it into the LR pack due to weight/size limitations, the LR is what it is now.

Don't forget the insane charging speed of the LR is your wife is not a fan of hanging around but I agree, for most the price difference (due mainly to no Grant for the LR) is not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’m assuming she has access to charging in Dublin at her destination?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

I have a late 2021 MIC SR+ with the 55kwh LFP battery and I drive about 160km one way on the motorway fairly regularly and keep to 120kmh the whole way on autopilot and you are looking at a max comfortable range of approx 200-220km, you would be hard pushed to go any further than that at those speeds in the winter months.

You might get about another 20km in the 2022 model with the 60kwh pack but still not enough to make it there and back again without charging.

I usually try to charge when I am almost at my destination so that I don't have to worry about it on my way back but the m9 is actually pretty poor for fast chargers so it really needs more options and it is the one thing that leaves the experience down for me.

If you are taking a motorway that has access to a supercharger along the route then it is no issue at all and the M7 has 2 options with a quick 10 min stop in both directions at Ballacolla probably the thing to do as this is only the length of a toilet stop anyway!

For me the standard RWD will be more than enough for you with access to both those superchargers on the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

There's a supercharger in Birdhill. It's literally 1 minute off the m7.

Surely a toilet break and a coffee and a pre heated battery will charge up enough to get you home?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭speedfreak

I will be travelling that route. Where are you stopping for a top up?

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

Birdhill only 35km from home, going up to Dublin makes no sense and coming home will be tight. Probably end up using J14 100kwh chargers

Showing my ignorance here but what is MIC? It would be all M7 driving so there are options at J14 (and Birdhill) but its trying to avoid that at least going one way.

That is a very good chart/info. So baiscally the LR would get her there but would need to charge on way back somewhere near Dublin (wondering if J14 would work) or am I thinking wrong do you think?

• Advertisement

You only have 1 option that is a reasonable price and that is the 150kwh charger in the Kilcullen M9 services.

This charger is very busy and has been offline for weeks at a time as well so is not reliable and like I said it actually is the one thing that lets the whole experience down for me as the charging infrastructure is just not good enough on the M9.

I have sent numerous requests to Tesla to ask them to position a supercharger at either the Carlow or Paulstown M9 services but never receive anything back!

The only other option is the extremely expensive ionity charger in Kill but at double the cost and it has been unreliable too on the 2 times I have tried to use it.

So for regular travel the length of the M9 be prepared to have charging anxiety!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ah sorry I didn't see that!! There is a supercharger at ballacolla which might be an option or there is a higher powered ESB charger at portlaoise... literally a minute off the motorway.

MIC = Made in China

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭speedfreak

Crap that’s not good. Yea paulstown would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭innrain

A better route planner suggests a stop at Kill Ionity on the way back with the LR

More important it thinks you'd need about 11kWh to make it with 15% remaining. If you have access to an AC charger at destinstion in 2 h you're sorted .If not I tend to agree with Kill because it is the fastest and more reliable on the route. I got 190 kW with the LR there. You won't get as high as you need to be very low but you'd still get around 100kW at 40% which means 6-10 mins stop. But your best bet would be destination charger if possible.

IEOVA used to organise some of these drives pre pandemic in order to showcase the EVs. I would be up for a challenge. Maybe we do something in RSymons style although driving in convoy in Ireland with sigle chargers is difficult.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

"IEOVA used to organise some of these drives pre pandemic in order to showcase the EVs. I would be up for a challenge. Maybe we do something in RSymons style although driving in convoy in Ireland with sigle chargers is difficult."

Everyone be driving along all nice and friendly, and then about 5km out from the (single) charger, everyone floors it Mad Max style to try and be first to the charger......

For the route the OP is suggesting, Limerick-Dublin-Limerick, I would suggest a stop on the way up at J14 for a coffee & toilet break, 10 minutes or so, charging enough to either make it back to J14 on the return leg, or make it all the way home. If it was a regular enough trip, it'd be worth signing up with Ionity for their 'normal' price, and then Kill either on the way up or the way back would suffice. to complete the whole trip.

Having said that, if any form of Destination charging was available in Dublin, you could potentially put 60% back into the car over 3 hours on an 11kW AC! and thus not need any charge along the route..

I've a 2020 SR+ with the 409km WLTP range (2022 RWD is currently 491km WLTP (510km estimated with aero hub caps)).

I drove to Limerick last year from North County Dublin, a total of 215km, and arrived at 30% (from 100%) speed limits all the way.

I drove to Cork last February in rain/snow/wind/storm/0 degree's etc... left home at 97%, arrived in Ballacolla at 36% (140km) speed limits all the way.

Based on above, my summer motorway range is around 300km, and in winter its about 230km. I'd expect the 2022 version with bigger battery, heat pump etc to better these numbers by at least 10-15%

The Octovalve Heatpump is supposedly 300% more efficient than cabin heater so will heavily reduce the Winter penalty on the batteries, it will being Summer/Winter range a lot more in line. Water on the roads will now be the range killer and not outside temps

Also, depending on where in Dublin your wife is going, if it's on the southside, a quick top up at the soon to be opened SuperCharger in Sandyford would suffice to get her all the way home on a single charge.. The car will even tell you how long you need to be plugged in for to make it to your destination.

No not good! M9 needs superchargers really badly!

Advertisement