Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭eoin.d

Can anyone give me details on where I can buy radio earpiece for the test that will definitely work. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

I got mine in Mr price, black jvc set with no mic and they worked perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭eoin.d

Seen them recommended in earlier post but none in Mr price when I tryed

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Debub

Hypothetical question - if buying a used bike, both approx the same price, one is with a slip on exhaust and one with a quick shifter, which one would be preferable? I know its a little vague, but I havent had any experience of either...

• The quick shifter sounds like it would be actually useful while as the slip-on exhaust doesn't make any sense to me what exactly does it do?

• Advertisement

I dont know as I havent ever used it - maybe a badass sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Midnight77

Any other beginners experiencing insurance woes? I'm 27F, full Irish car license for years, and I'm currently struggling for Liberty to provide me a quote on a Kawasaki Z250SL. All the other providers gave me quotes no bother, but Liberty won't insure me as a first-time rider on a wee 250cc (I have car insurance with them and I want that discount, goddammit). The cheapest quote I have so far is 850, which seems extortionate for someone my age, given the bike's power, and the fact my IBT covered category A bikes!! 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭geotrig

think i had the worst quote from liberty myself and varied stupidly to the point they where non sensical

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got a quote from principal for AXA that was 1/5 what AXA themselves were offering for bikes, and the other way I recently got a AXA quote that was 1/3 of what the brokers had for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Midnight77

I’ve stopped trying to make sense of insurance companies, they truly do just pull numbers out of their arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Nobody cares about your B licence and think i had the same problems with Liberty starting out.

Try Carole Nash and Principle. Got quotes from both and was able to work down from there. Think I started about €750 at 30 on a 600cc.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭slystallone

Is there any extensions to IBT taken over last 2 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭enrique66_35

Not that I know of - the cut-off was 30 June 2019 so all IBTs completed since have the usual 2 years.

Full licenses expire after 10 years. If you have a full car license that's, for example, 5 years old. And you pass your bike test, and apply for a full bike license, they take both your full car and provisional bike licenses and merge them into one (a single license with both vehicle classes marked on it), but what is the expiry date?

Is it renewed for another 10 years? Or do they keep the old expiry, so you still need to renew in 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

They all take the start date of the most recently issued licence.

Mine are all valid for 10 years from the date I passed my bike test

Ah fair play for letting me know. Did you have to re-do the eye-test or any other such stuff, if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ttrreeww

I did the motorbike training a couple years ago and have a provisional licence, but I only got certified for automatic and 125cc. I was going to go for training on all motorbikes but I messed up and fell off a 500 or 650cc during the training and we were running short on time, so I think I was lucky to get what I got in one long session. I am way too short for the motorbikes he had. It was very difficult to put one foot down. (I'm 5'2).

Are there any trainers with motorbikes that aren't tall? I think the bike I fell off of was a suzuki sv650.

also, how bright should my headlights be? I'm finding it difficult to get information on this. I find travelling on roads at night terrifying. If a car with LED headlights is coming against me I am literally totally blinded. I'm not 100% sure if me having brighter headlights would help with this issue, but I'm guessing it's not normal for motorcyclists to experience this so I must have weak headlights? I'm not exaggerating that I literally can't see anything, I often slow to a complete stop. It's specifically bad with cars with the white LED headlights and not too bad with the normal more yellow ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

Not sure what bike you have, how old is it?

I had the same issue on mine at the start ,It was so dim I couldn't see where I was going in oncoming traffic

I changed the headlight bulb to a brighter LED Type bulb which made a big difference, you do also get more comfortable over time and learn to look past the lights to the side to keep the glare down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

My instructor had a 500cc Honda rebel specifically for shorter riders, but I was going to her in any case from recommendation so didn't look around too much. I did mine on a SV650 and I'm a foot taller, and still felt unsure at the start.

What part of the country are you, people could give advise if they know an instructor has shorter bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I have to wear glasses anyway, so I didn’t have to retake the eye test. But I’d assume that a non glass wearer would have to prove their eyesight.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd say you're right. I appreciate that, you're a gent, thank you.

I'm still learning and haven't encountered night time traffic yet. That's a very interesting point you raise. As a driver I'm regularly blinded by oncoming LED lights, but I'd have assumed you'd be immune to it on a bike, as your eyes are positioned higher up than a typical car driver's. Very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

If you are finding issues with how bright they seem you could possibly get a tinted visor and upgrade your own lights to something brighter

You can get visors with different levels of tint.

Also check the condition of the visor if it is dirty or scratched it can distort the light also try out some anti fog spray on the inside of the visor

What make is your helmet as other folks can compare and also did you ever have any laser eye surgery

I know I stormed out of this forum in a blaze of glory not too long ago, but I know people have been asking about where to get headphones for the test, so wanted to point this out, as it's probably quite helpful.

The headphones are just generic everyday headphones with a 3.5mm jack. You can get them in Penneys, for €1.50. These work fine and are relatively comfortable (come with different sized gel tips for different ears).

Here's a photo:

https://i.postimg.cc/cLdFV6Ms/heapdhones.jpg

IBT tomorrow, weather looks good, going back to 2 wheels after about 20 years 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Lucky, enjoy it and the nice weather. Make sure you're covered or you'll be burnt spending all day in the sun! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Good luck with your IBT tomorrow I think you will be fine

I went back after 30years :-)

so reporting back for anyone interested - it was super, took about 2/3 minutes to get comfortable, was suggested that I start on a small (125 cc Suzuki) bike, rode that around for a few minutes and then went on to MT07, felt heavy as I jumped off the smaller Suzuki, but actually felt a lot easier to control and I was pretty comfy riding it around. A bit of a wobble doing the lifesaver looks while trying to go in a straight line and dropped the bike once while practicing an emergency stop (stopped too hard and went off balance). All in all it was great to be back on 2 wheels - just need to get used to trusting the bike (eg on the figure of eight - I know that the bike will straighten when I open the throttle, but still got the leg down every once in a while tryng to steady the bike) and practising the techniques properly - also fisrt time for me on a bike with a LCD dash - maybe I will get used to it, but miss the dials 😀

Will be on the roads on Saturday for the 2nd day of IBT, looking forward to it and wil hopefully will not be intimidating being outside the protective cage of the car amongs the traffic... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Bigserious1

Anyone need an old jacket to get started on?

Old richa textile jacket sized large. I'm about 6ft and 14stone for reference. Just about fits me but anyone larger would need something bigger.

Has a liner and elbow, shoulder and back pads. It is free so dont expect anything immaculate! Just get someone going while they decide what gear suits them best.

• Advertisement

• What method do you use to measure chain slack?

I know you should measure in between front and rear sprockets but I have come across two methods the first is you push the chain up as high as it will go and then pull it down until you can go no

The second method is you push the chain up until you see the top of the chain start to move. And use that as your measurement.

Which method do you find works best?

Also just to clarify. I presume I need to loosen the axle nuts on both sides and then adjust the adjustment bolts equally on either side of the bike.

Advertisement