Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rav 4 PHEV 2022 city range on electric

• 19-02-2022 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Looking into RAV 4 2022 PHEV, have a auris 2013 hybrid and want to get a bigger model as got 2 kids and another on way. My question is if the brochure states that you’ll roughly 75km on battery and 98km in city, what actual range should I expect and how will colder weathers affect the range.

Auris 2013 HV battery had barely any range and only on low speeds, so expecting much more fuel saving costs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

I have a Niro PHEV. Roughly speaking I get about 80% of the advertised range....more if I drive conservatively/warmer weather...less on motorway/wet windy cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

From what I've read from actual users the stated range is actually fairly accurate, expect 65-70kms. Cold weather might drop it to 55-60km. In city driving it will last longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Half or less this time of year. Go full ev, I regret not biting the bullet and going full ev. I'll definitely be doing it next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭_gir

Not an option, don’t have a private drive and allotted parking space in my estate is not in front of house to run a cable to so can’t charge overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭loopymum

Is there much point in you buying a phev then either if you can't have home charging? You will be carrying more weight around. Ptobably will cost more to buy as well?

• Advertisement

like the auris HV it will charge when driving using fuel, but unlike the HV it will have better battery life and performance, and battery can be topped up around town at charge points. Don’t want to commit to a full EV until I have a new place, but the HV petrol cost savings have deffo turned me off a full petrol car. Just not sure atm if next car will be HV or PHEV

Without home charging it's completely pointless, fuel consumption will be worse driving around with a flat battery.

Thanks for the comment, might just go HEV then until I get a new place for home charging

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

I am getting over 90% of the quoted EV range on my PHEV but it is on local driving not exceeding 60kmph.

Yeah as others have said, a PHEV only works if you have access to a home charger. You are right that you will be able to charge it from the petrol engine, but charging a battery that size will require the engine go work harder and burn more petrol.

The RAV4 HEV would be the better option. They aren't as expensive as the PHEV and will be more efficient if you aren't charging regularly.

If you were only looking to save money, sticking with the Auris would make most sense. You would buy lots of petrol on the cost to change. But I see you need the extra space.

Are you keen to stick with Toyota?

For interest sake I tried charging the battery on my phev while on a journey, consumption jumped from 4.4 to over 12L/100😱, needless to say I abandoned that exercise ☺️

• Advertisement

Yeah, the only benefit of doing it would be if you needed to charge the battery if going into a built up area or city where only ev driving was permitted. So no use in Ireland!

yeah, the auris has just been so trouble free that I’d like to stick with Toyota, but for a bargain if you have any recommendations I’d def consider

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

RAV4 PHEV looks interesting for the price, 300bhp and AWD with up to 90km range but pointless buying unless you can charge it. Base hybrid is 8k cheaper and will return better economy

If you are going new and want to move fairly soon then options are limited with supply chain and chip shortages. From what I see VW and others are talking about delivery times as far out as December '22 or Jan '23 on a number of models.

The obvious ones for you to consider imo are the Tucson or the new Sportage. They will be coming in less expensive than the RAV4 (especially if you compare like with like in terms of spec) and currently don't have those supply issues. Know of a few who had their Tucson within a few weeks of ordering (vehicles were in stock or in the country).

Personally, I do prefer the look of the RAV4 to the Tucson. But it probably depends on how long you intend keeping the car. It sounds like you will probably trade in for an EV sooner rather than later. The Tucson would be a massive step up on the Auris and should hold a good trade in value.

Thanks will have a look, baby on the way is still first trimester so I’ve set a goal of by end of year to have gotten bigger car. I don’t mind ordering and waiting to get best deal rather than get sth soon because of availability.

Edit: would also rather grin and bare for a few months in auris than get wrong car too

That makes sense. No point in rushing into it and living with the disappointment or regret!

I should clarify that that Tucson and Sportage would be close to top of the list many even when a lot of their competitors aren't having supply issues. Other brands will have demo cars to test drive so worth trying them to see if they are worth the wait (which may not be that long depending on the brand).

Advertisement