Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Zipp 303s / alternative in that price range?

Options
  • 18-02-2022 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭

I'm considering getting a set of Zipp 303S for my TCR disc.

They seem like great value (compared to others in this price range) with strong warranty coverage etc and available sub 900€. This is an unnecessary purchase but I can use the existing wheelset for another bike.

I'm fine with the tubeless / hookless nature which might put some people off. Just wondering if anyone has them and if there is anything else I should consider first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bwdbwd

Hunt wheels. Bought recently, just over €1000

Great service and so far wheels are brilliant.

Didn't want the tubless/hookless setup of the 303s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Zipps are amazingly... "cheap" now. Used to be a set Zipps started at 2k. Is this one of the benefits of hookless rims and disc braking. Easier manufacturing and a lot less required of the wheel - doesn't have to brake, doesn't even have to hold on to the tyre anymore!!

Mate bought a set of the posh Carbon spoked Hunts. Lovely but more like 1600 quid. The standard ones are lovely too but word on the web is that Zipp might actually have aero testing behind their claims where Hunt kinda wouldn't really.

Anyway. Hard to beat wheels with Zipp written on them for less that a grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks for the replies, there's 160€ difference in the cheapest carbon Hunt's and these so I don't really see a reason to go for them over Zipp's. I have an alloy set of Hunt's and they are great but the prices have crept up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Have Zipp sorted their rear hubs out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

don't own them but definitely another vote for hunt.. great wheels at a good price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

I have zipp 303s and love them, but my only carbon rims so cannot compare with hunts. Do have a hunt alloys for gravel bike, did need to replace the freehub after not many miles but. Tubeless is very easy with zipp hookless, i use pirelli p zero and over 1k no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭barleyman

Same, i have a set of zipp 303s and found them excellent. Used them on the road all year and then used them for the cyclocross season and they never missed a beat. I have a set of zipp 404 firecrests which have required a lot of maintenance to keep them running sweet. Not so with the 303s.

Had a bit of a struggle getting supported cx tyres for the hookless rims at the time.

What tires are compatible with Zipp 303 S wheels? – Zipp

Thanks again for the replies. I note the positive feedback for the Hunt's but can't see a reason to choose them over Zipp. Winspace Hyper get a lot of great online reviews in a fairly similar price range, but still more expensive than the Zipp's. Will probably go for them in the next day or two

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I don't think I want Tubeless or hookless, but I probably have about the same budget (1,000 €), any other recommendations?

What sort of Hunts should I be looking at? or other wheelsets? Shimano 11 speed, disc brakes.

https://archiv.cube.eu/en/2019/277300

• Advertisement

I looked at the 4050 carbon aero disc and 4454 aerodynamicist which are both not far off 1000 - can't really tell you which to go for given that I am going for the Zipp's though. Both the Hunt's have decent reviews but I just don't fully trust the majority of bike reviewers online or in cycling media. There are those on Youtube who question Hunt a lot, but I don't have an alternative for you (beyond ordering from somewhere like Farsports or Light Bicycle where you will get a potentially better wheelset for cheaper but might run into customs issues and I wouldn't like to try a warranty claim from them).

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭declan_8

Can you let me know where your getting these for sub 900, I’m considering a set of these too. Cheers.

They are 888 on Bike Discount although when you select delivery to Ireland it goes up to 917. There is an LBS near where I live in the Netherlands that has them for 875 (although I'm still considering Bike Discount as the bike shop is an hour away so not sure if it will be any better for warranty etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭barleyman

I think warranty should have a major bearing (excuse the pun) on decision making also:

I have had a very good experience with Zipp through my LBS. Can't comment on Hunt but i think there is a major difference in the warranties provided

Zipp: Warranty | SRAM

Hunt: Warranty and Rider Weight Limits : Hunt Bike Wheels

Advertisement