Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reseeding DIY Question

• 16-02-2022 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has done there own bit of resseding using something like a Rakemann 3000 with seeder on it. How it worked out. Did you do it after silage cut or sprayed off ground and did a bit or even overseeded a field

Thanks in advance

Post edited by gerryirl on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

Hi Gerry. Not a direct answer to your question but I have a video playlist on Youtube on my own reseeding:

I find that spraying, dung, 2-3 runs of disc, lime, powerharrow with seeding, fertilizer and then rolling is hard to beat for my ground type and I've had good success with it so far. Might be a stretch to get to that level if starting from scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Last autumn i bought a 3m pallatine harrow (similar to the rakeman) and a APV es100 broadcaster for a bit of reseeding,oversowing clover and sowing catch crops into stubble.

first job i have lined up at home here is reseeding some silage ground with a red clover/grass seed mix,..plan is to strip the ground tight with sheep till mid march,Spray with roundup at 6 liters to the ha in early April and go in 10-14 day with the palatine harrow set aggressively for 3 runs then set it to lightly cover seed spread by the broadcaster on the 4th run,After that it will get 3 bags of 0.5.25 and a good rolling

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We've a palatine as well and have found that you need to wait up to 4 weeks after spraying, The scraw needs to be well rotted or it effects germination.

Ground limestone works better than Granlime as it coats the scraw It's the rotting scraw that gives the germination problem, Gran lime just goes to the clay which isn't where the problem is at all, those are my theories anyway. I look forward to hearing how you get on. I'll be doing some myself this year too.

We use the fertiliser spreader to spread the grassseed

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭farmerphil135

we have a opico grass Harrow with seeder and last year we done it a few ways. Done it for an organic farmer so no round up. Day after we cut his silage reseeded half the field. 4 runs of the grass Harrow and last run we seeded the field and rolled and gave it a light coat of slurry that evening. When the grass was ankle high he topped it to cut back the old grass and let the new grass come through and compete (tip I got off an organic farmer in the uk) and when it came to his 2nd cut the field was like night and day you could see to the line where the new grass was put in

done the same for another farmer only this time it was sprayed off about 2 weeks. 4 runs of the Harrow, last run sowed, rolled, slurry. But there was patches of the field didn’t come up. We think it could’ve been leather jackets or frit flies caused it

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

thanks for the replies folks.I bought a Jarmet hybrid harrow last week and a APV ks m40 M2 speader this evening so Im all go. Im a complete novice at this and setting the correct rate speed etc will be some fun. Might try a small bit as Farmerphil said there after I cut silage ground.

I think youd be correct wrangler to leave it as long after spraying. I have sprayer too but Id not be that brave this year.. What seed do ye recommmend to put out at what rate kgs per acre

Im in that soild testing scheme from the dept got it tested the other day but appentley Ill be waiting a while for results so that will help in terms of lime fertilzer when Im up and running.. do most lads put 10-10-20 on reseeded ground

• Advertisement

great videos. Very pro job.. If you seen my outfit..lol.. interesting you put the lime on after sowing the seed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭minerleague

Good information, have a couple of questions , is that a power harrow kinda like a rotavator? would this work for organic to grow oats ? ( no spray or plough ) slurry by splash plate?

it’s a spring tine Harrow. I wouldn’t think you could sow oats that way as it wouldn’t bury the seed enough and the birds would fleece the field. Slurry by splash plate.

discing the field would be your best option in my opinion. 2 runs of a good heavy disc Harrow and sow but for better weed control in organics you could sterile till it 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭minerleague

Thanks for that, but sterile till - what is that? no experience of tillage here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Fertilizer price will push up reseeding price this year. 3 bags of 10-10-20 is recommended I think.

If you are spraying off and not ploughing you’ll need an extra tonne of time I was told. The dead grass raises the acidity of the ground. Reseeded two years ago by power harrowing and sowing. Gave it 4 tonne of lime to the acre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭White Clover

Want to be careful not to over do the lime too. It can lock up a lot of minerals and trace elements.

Sterile tilling is where you till the ground ie.disc,power Harrow etc. And leave it ideal till the weeds come up and till it again to kill off the weeds and sow. It’s a help to reduce the weed burden but not going to eliminate it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Yes and it’s never mentioned by teagasc or the journal or anyone else that’s telling us to spread lime.

Started liming properly here 10-12 years ago rather than just a field every few years. Had a serious problem a couple of years after with poor thrive/weight gain and cattle wasting away. Turned out copper was the problem. Everything gets a copper bolus now before they are let out.

what seed did ye spread. rye grass with clover mix?

Advertisement