Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently Drinking - what's perking you up at the moment

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Very same . Have the 600ml one

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

This month's 3FE subscription is a very fruity Ethiopian Anaerobic natural from Adola. Most of their coffees of late have been wash-processed, so it's nice to get something quite different. Have my first cup this afternoon, and as per their description, it is indeed pretty special. Well worth a go, if you haven't dipped your toe into natural processed coffees - link

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, I'm just coming to the end of a bag of that, been used mainly in aeropress. Very good example of a washed coffee!

I must be some kind of savage, but I enjoy the Bellarom Gold Crema beans from lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

Warbler and Wren, got it in Tesco, €7 for 200g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

This is really superb - look a bit of fiddling to get it dialled in and have gone for a slightly finer grind for clever dripper

Really piqued my interest in Costa Rican coffee now!

Origin: Costa Rica

Farm; Aquiares Estate / Robelo Family

Region: Turrialba

Variety: Marsellesa & Obatá

Altitude: 800 to 1,400 masl

Process: Washed

https://www.westcorkcoffee.ie/shop/Aquiares%20Estate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I got a costa rica from 3FE last week, very nice

got an anerobic natural ethiopian too, which is absolutely delish

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Picked up some beans from cakeface in Kilkenny.

They had some beans from some interesting roasters but some really old roast dates so went with their own beans, haven't opened them yet though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

I enjoyed this one recently, nearing the end..anything similar?

Organic Brazil – ‘Bob-o-Link’ – Anam Coffee

On the Velo Colombia Dulima single origin that I got in Tesco as I was out of beans - €5 for 200g. Actually really nice in the filter - way better than Tandem etc. Good mediumish roast.

Seem the single origins might are worth a shot if in Tesco!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 TheCKid

Yeah, that Velo Dulima is the best cheap bean I've had so far. Tend to have it in the morning as I haven't woken up properly to actually appreciate the higher end coffees at that time!

Feel like I might have to do a velo order soon - the Galapagos islands bean is just too intriguing! https://velocoffee.ie/collections/coffee-beans/products/velo-coffee-roasters-finca-el-cafetal-225g-coffee-bag-galapagos-islands?variant=40867451502773

This is really lovely!

Exactly like the tasting notes, milk chocolate and orange, lovely and sweet, juicy and very light. It's recommended for espresso but really nice in the clever dripper! Could get through a litre of it easily lol

• Region: Caldas Department
    • Process: Washed
    • Altitude: 1400 - 1800 MASL
    • Varietal: Castillo, Caturra, Colombia
    • Farm: Anserma Cooperative

Picked up some of this Lab 82 coffee in Driftwood Cafe in Finglas late last week

Hadn't had a Yirgacheffe in years, and this takes me back to those heady days when Yirga first came on the scene - it's a natural. Was chatting to the owner of the Cafe and he said they are the first to stock it in Dublin, they had a couple of others too, including the Burundi and the other Ethiopian.

I also grabbed a bag of the Colombian Velo from Tesco to try it, it was marked 6.99 but scanned through as 4.99. It's quite nice

It is 4.99 - the pink Indian one is 6.99 though. Agree, for a supermarket bean it's the best I have had I think. A change from the usual bitter, dark roast!

yeah I went back and got the Ethiopian too, it's a Yirgacheffe

They are both grand

The roast I sent you was a natural Yirgacheffe. How did it compare? €13.50/250g (Plus delivery!) is kind'a taking the mick.

Currently enjoying a Guatemala Delicia washed coffee (home roasted). Since moving almost exclusively to naturally processed coffee, I've been finding washed coffees a little bit bland, but this one impresses, with some pronounced fruit and nutty flavours. It also has large beans and a lot less chafe then your typical washed coffee, which makes it a damn sight easier to roast! A nice 'go-to' when you need a break from natural coffees. Roasted pretty light and good value at around €14/kg.

Picked up this Full Circle Ethiopian Natural, Diima Bedessa, recently in the market in Howth (Bodega coffee shop), I was sceptical buying something in the week between Xmas and NYE but I'm pleasantly surprised here.

This coffee is absolutely delish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

Christmas blend from 3FE, made an americano with it to dial it in, and was really impressed with it. I'm not great at identifying flavours and notes but I knew it would be really sweet as a milk drink.

On the new Vietnam from the WCC sub - first time for a Vietnam!

Absolutely gorgeous - light cocoa and milk chocolate vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭FiftyP

How does their stuff compare to Soma?

I'm planning on taking a trip into Cork some day soon, and I've already tried a few Soma bags (my first speciality coffees) and it'd be easy to pick up another bag or two there while I'm sitting down for a sup. As in it'd be hard to resist the temptation of picking up a bag. While I could also order from WCC. I know WCC sell bags to a few places in Cork City but I'd worry about how fresh it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,048 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Does anyone drink the Beanies flavoured coffee?? They are mostly, if not all in drinkable and leave a bat taste in the mouth.

At the other extreme, I have been to Ethiopia and it is the best coffee I ever had. Coffee is like a religion there.

Not had Soma yet - keep meaning too though!

Honestly if you get a chance to try the Vietnam (10% off ( code: Viet ) until Sunday 23rd) do it - best I have had in a while!

Drinking a Cloudpicker at the moment, Hoffman Clever Dripper Method 21g/325g

Black Tea | Donut Peach | Crème Brûlée

Altitude | 1650 masl

Process | Wet Hulled

Variety | Line S and Catimor

It's one of the weirdest coffees I've had, and is much more like a flavoured black tea than a coffee, it's astringent but in a good way, like well brewed tea.

I'm glad I got it because it's good to experience new things

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MattVader

Currently drinking a ridiculously tasty Ugandan :

• Origin - Bwindi, Kinungo, Uganda 
    • Producer - Kingha Collective
    • Varietal - SL-14. SL-28, SL-34
    • Altitude - 1300-1550 masl
    • Process - Semi-Anaerobic Natural
    • Notes - Blackberry Jam, Cola, Lime & Vanilla Finish

V60 pour-over

20g coffee | Coarse Grind | 30 Second, 60g Bloom | 5 equal pours of 60g every 45 seconds.

So good!

Post edited by adrian522 on

Anyone drinking Creed coffee? Now that I'm back in the office a couple of days a week, I've been grabbing the occasional coffee from their Pearse Street shop. What's really surprised me is their decaf coffee. It's really good. So good, I'm kind'a wondering, is it really decaf?! I picked up a bag (roast date a little over two weeks old) so look forward to giving it a try at home this evening. It's Brazil - Sul De Minas, which uses a couple of varieties. Smells really great. I've never found a decaf I really enjoyed, so fingers crossed.

Drinking 2 from Lab 82 in Cork, purchased in Driftwood in Finglas

BRAZIL - AGROPECUÁRIA MUNIZ

https://lab82.ie/collections/coffee/products/brazil-agropecuaria-muniz

Region: Sul de Minas

Process: Natural Anaerobic Fermentation

Altitude: 1150 - 1230 MASL

Varietal: Icatu

Taste Notes: Cherry, Cane Sugar, Molasses, Dried Plum

Absolutely delicious coffee, and my first Natural from South America, I'll be back for more - less funk than East African coffee, but gorgeous all the same

ETHIOPIA - KOROMII

Region: Suke Kuto Kebele in Skakisso Woreda - East Guji

Process: Natural dried on raised beds or 24 days

Altitude: 2000 - 2178 MASL

Varietal: JARC 74110 & 74112 and Heirloom varieties

Taste Notes: Peach, Apricot, Sweet Tea

Pretty nice too, more subtle than the Brazilian, but Natural Ethiopians are always worth a shot.

• Advertisement

This month's WCC is exceptional - found the last month or so a bit unremarkable tbh but the new El Salvador is outstanding

Origin: El Salvador

Farm: Finca El Carmen

Variety: 100% Red Bourbon

Altitude: 1,300 masl

Process: Washed

In the cup; " Milk chocolate, raisins & grapefruit. Clean & complex"

https://www.westcorkcoffee.ie/shop/elsalvador1

Advertisement