Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Even in the peak of Summer travel reopening last year they had no real F&B offering open.

Craft Lane and Food Republic have been shuttered since the start of the pandemic - I only noticed Craft Lane had reopened for a few days a week at certain hours for drinks only when I flew through Cork a week or so ago.

AMT was closed a few weeks ago, and they never have any pastries etc. WHSmith seems to be the only option for actual food in terms of the sandwich meal deal. They also have fairly good Frank and Honest coffee tbf.

But yeah, it pales in comparison with other EU airports I've been in in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭notAMember

it's also not available until the summer. Such a pain to get to zurich at the moment, I've to go via LHR or schipol every time. Dublin swiss air flights are a pain in the backside from cork due to the time of day... was in a delightful 4 hour traffic jam on a friday evening from dublin to cork the last time I came home to cork.

I wish Cork airport would focus on some better european connectivity for basic business travel. Ryanair is all well and good for leisure, but frequent business passengers come from corporate travel, and no corporate policy I've seen uses ryanair. No brussels flight. Is Rome gone too? No non-ryanair flight to italy at all. Nothing to russia. The only german airport served is frankfurt. No flight to berlin, hamburg, dussledorf, munich.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Acosta

Rome has been gone for several years, even though in my experience at least, it was always busy. It's odd that Ryanair hasn't given it a go when they have done several other Italian routes the last few summer's, such as Milan, Pisa and Naples. And recently announced a Venice flight.

Also, I don't think Ryanair have ever had a single German destination out of Cork which again is really odd. Before the pandemic they had two out of Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Hahn was a specific oddity that seemed to serve a few companies and some Germans living in the general area, IIRC. But yes - it would be nice to get something more.

I flew to Birmingham Saturday at 9am - no food options apart from the coffee dock area and that was mobbed. Its absolutely ridiculous that the two pubs/restaurants are still closed. And the Lounge is still closed too.

Flying into Cork this morning at about 9am, even the WH Smith in the landside area was closed.

Is the footfall still that bad? Seems kind of crazy that things aren't reopening at this stage. I've seen a lot of that in the city centre too - venues seem to want to stay shut on Mondays (or Tuesdays) in some cases.

How are the traffic figures looking for Cork Airport at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The pub was open when I flew two weeks ago but I went out in the afternoon. The lounge opened yesterday.

The CSO used to have brilliant stats for each route from each airport but they have either stopped tracking or changed where they store them because I can't find them anymore.

LGW - Cork today off to Shannon, AMS - Cork today off to Dublin. Wind diversions for both? Presumably passengers bussed down?

Yeah, cross wind. Probably more to come over the next few days.

Probably it's just that too many staff are out with covid. Same as many other places in town that have restricted opening due to staff shortages.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ryanair to announce a 3rd based aircraft at the airport this morning. New routes to Alghero, Pisa and Valencia. Frequency increases on current routes on the way too.

Great to see Ryanair so bullish about the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

That sounds like good news. I did look at flights to Girona in July and they were coming back at €240 each way for just the basic fare. Hopefully this 3rd plane announcement might right this a little

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Good to see this mornings announcement. Some interesting routes for the summer. Nice options rather than travelling to dublin. Are iberia coming back with the madrid route for the summer?

Its Ryanairs for the taking with Aer Lingus quite simply not being arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

[quote]Seven new routes will operate this summer to Alghero (Sardinia), Birmingham, Edinburgh, Manchester, Pisa, Valencia and Venice.[/quote]

Edinburgh, Birmingham and Manchester are already running, gutter journalism.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There’s capacity increases on those though. Edinburgh is daily now, Manchester twice daily and Liverpool upto 5pw in summer (extra Sunday flight - more practical).

Ryanair eating Emerald/EI’s lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DylanQuestion

Really great news. Still no sign of Rome, but hopefully this might scare Aer Lingus into it? Although as others said, they don't seem to care. Any idea what kind of PAX this could give? The Echo article says this is their most flights from Cork ever. Still awaiting 2021 PAX

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

wasn't that long ago that MOL stated that they had no plans for Cork because of the DAA charges and was belittling them!.... WELL WELL!!

I think its clear AL arent overly pushed. Hopefully some of the other European airlines take an interest in routed too. While these are welcome additions for Cork the lack of regular services to major European centres such as Rome, Madrid, Berlin, Brussels stand out. Hopefully in time these can be addressed. Surprised Lisbon hasnt returned.

One thing that drives me mad about route announcements for the airport wish the routes would be announced a few weeks earlier. People start planning and booking in January so midsing out on business there

Post edited by lisasimpson on

AirFrane going to six times per week from the end of the month. Is this up from their pre-COVID schedule?

https://twitter.com/CorkAirport/status/1499358044358160391?s=20&t=LjEGhiJHS6Vm1KXufiikwg

• Advertisement

Good news pitty service doesnt cover oct mid term. Hopefully things stay going the way they are and 2nd level school tours etc will be back with a bang euro Disney was v popular midterm just gone too.

Still no word on Iberia Express take it no madrid this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 3 2Beamzplz

The more I think about it and given the paltry offering by aer Lingus this summer, the sale of the remaining stake by the government was a major strategic mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭TheBetsy

Before Covid came I'm pretty sure AF's plan for S20 was to operate twice daily from Cork with an aircraft night stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

They had 2 flights per day on sale a few months back but cut it back to 6 a week.

Are the passenger numbers still that low ? I mean at this stage it’s a bit of a joke that there’s no catering in Cork Airport. They would want to be looking into why and getting it re-started. A LOT of money was put into those facilities a few years ago.

For a small airport, Cork used to always have decent enough food options. I find this shut everything due to COVID approach is a bit problematic in Ireland compared to other places. Same on Irish Rail, you can’t even get a coffee.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭.red.

A few of the places tried reopening but the old staff had moved on and they couldn't get new staff in, on the wages being offered.

Some supermarkets are offering €12.50- €13+ph and some have time and a half on Sundays. The food places in the airport, as well as some of the other companies cant/won't match that. Add in that public transport for a 4/5am start or an 11/12pm finish are non existent except for a taxi and you end up with a severe lack of staff and reduced opening hours.

Post edited by .red. on

Sounds like they’ll have to drop the rent or increase the prices… Can’t really just have no catering at all.

26 commercial flights tomorrow. First day of summer schedule.

Great to see.

EI really sweating 2 planes with 4 LHR, 2 AMS and one FAO. Didn’t think I’d see the day where there would be days with 4 flights to Amsterdam.

Yeah, it's good to see alright. However I'd prefer a bit of variety instead of having 9 flights from London in one day. But sure at least it's getting busy.

• Advertisement

Any idea of 2021 PAX?

Advertisement