Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Structural Design Engineer

Options
  • 15-02-2022 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I would be no expert in this field so I need some general advice. Basically my sister and her husband are planning on moving back to Ireland. He is american, 37 years old and a qualified structural engineer. He has been offered a job in Dublin in a construction consultancy and the package is €55k + 10% bonus paid in December + 6% pension contributions. He asked me over the weekend would that be within the average for Ireland. Myself or none of my friends/family work in that kind of industry so I wouldn't have a clue so I am putting it out here for some feedback.

Comments

I don't know that field either but it's easy enough to find salary guides online. According to the jobs.ie one, the range is 40-70k. Where he sits within that range will depend on his length of service and how good/relevant his experience is for whatever he's applying to here.

Might be worth sending him a link to a tax calculator and some info on price of living so that he can understand exactly what he'll be earning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

I don't work in that field but assuming he has 10+ years experience, that seems crazy low. Graduate salaries are probably 35k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

So I've spoken to him since and he has been onto a recruiter over here who has 3 job offers lined up, all offering in and around the same. Apparently that's the going rate. Id imagine recruiters would be trying to push for as high as possible. Like I said I don't know the industry but it does seem low to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

Fair enough. I'm shocked at that. I studied Civil Engineering but never actually worked in it - I think I made the right decision!

Advertisement