Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ray D'arcy could reignite 2fm

• 16-02-2022 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

Now that Ray Foley has showed us that 00s radio nostalgia is cool, What if RTE put Ray Darcy on 9am till 12 on 2fm with Jenny, Will and Mairead, they could bring back favourites like tractor Tuesday and fix it Friday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Have you listened to him at 3pm on RTE one recently?...his show is absolutely dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

And that attracts and re-engages with the youth, how?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

The only re-igniting that would be going on is pouring of petrol over the station, introducing a lit match and then trying to claim on the insurance.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

There is a big difference between Ray Foley and Ray D’Arcy.

Not only is D’Arcy’s current show absolutely terrible, but even his last few months on TodayFM he sounded like a grumpy, bitter old man.

He’d be completely out of place on 2FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

A near-60 year old who has never exactly been a barrel of laughs, and has become more boring and embittered with age is the solution to 2FMs problems?

Are you completely daft.

Post edited by For Forks Sake on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,977 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Ray Foley is cool? I think he’s a plonker.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

In the real world darcys tv show should have ended him

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Igniting 2fm isn’t a bad idea. I’d do it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭AyeGer

They need to do something with that Darcy slot on RTE Radio 1. It’s stale as hell, same old same old. Move him on somewhere. But who is going to pay him half a million a year though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Unfortunately he's right at home on Radio One AKA Misery FM. There should be a complete clear out on Radio 9ne. There is so much misery it's unreal. For two years they had Covid, now they have inflation. They are the best advertisement for having Bluetooth in the truck and podcasts

Haha.......but everyone should see his interview with Pamela Anderson......oh Jesus, that was pure tv gold....he was a million miles out of his depth...... I cant do " links" but it's well worth looking up........absolute cringe

Dont forget....prior to covid.....it was ALL BREXIT......BREXIT 24/7

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

TodayFM have deliberately decided to go for an older audience in recent years, as their music choice has shown

2FM are not in a position to be able to do that. D'Arcy would not be of any use for their required target audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

I surprised 2fm didn't do more with D'Arcy during the 90's although The Den would have got in the way. Even if it was possible to recreate the 00's Today fm show it wouldn't fit 2fm unless the station went down a more RTE Gold direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I’m watching the Pam and Tommy show on Disney and there’s a lot of creeps in it and going by rays interview, he’d fit in nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Mother of God, perish the Thought, I'd rather hear the Angelus on a Loop for 2 hours than Ray D'Arcy.

Clearly OP, you've not listened to the current Ray D'Arcy show 😳 it's utterly, dreadful, Drivel, incoherent rambling nonsense and all over the place. I gave up listening a long time ago and the majority of commentary on this awful show seems to center around is lack of ability when it comes to pushing buttons, says it all really.

I do however I enjoy Oliver Callan's Pee take 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

That’s not a pee take, nor is it Oliver Callan. That’s documentary footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Field east

Secretary General Watt - dept of health - is getting a roasting- from all sections of the media re his €295,000 salary. It is not € 30,000 as the media would have u believe. Leaving aside the rules and regs in the government around salaries should salaries/Wages not be decided on the basis of responsibility that goes with the position, what is expected from you , etc , etc, etc.

I would suggest that responsibility of any of the sec gen of any department is away above and beyond that of a number of Some of the RTE presenters - bong on radio and to. And at least five of them have been on BLOATED salaries - or is it payments as per contracts- for years.

SO WHEN IS THE MEDIA GOING TO TAKE UP THE COUDGEL AND GO PUBLIC ON THESE UNTIL SOMETHING IS DONE ABOUT THEM. after all they are funded largely by us the tax payers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Mr. D'arcy would be a key reason to avoid a radio station entirely, but his smug self-rightous comments are fairly in tune wiht a large segment of the public.

😁 Touché, struck by the fact we know another Host who goes off in self absorbed, meaningless rants on subjects that have affected him personally (but of course pretending they didn't) 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Ray D'Arcy shouldn't be getting one cent of licence fee money. It's an embarassment. The man is devoid of personality, creativity or inteligence - and afer 25 years he can't even work the flippin' desk! Every day it's rinse and repeat. The fact that listeners are abandoning his how in droves is indicative. I was happy when Derek mooney with his Eurovision obsession got moved off this slot but his show was light years better than the current drivel. Ray D'Arcy should be shown the door and depatched back to Hospital Radio, which would be about his level. The fact the Tubridy and Duffy are on such ridiculous "fees" is bad enough, but at least there is a small bit of competency with those lads. As for Ray, surely the end of his days a as pontificating spoofer are fast approaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Muller1991

Ray D'Arcy is not the fit for 2FM.

2FM needs to Identify itself. I'm all for the two Johnny's getting a radio show but I think Drive time may be the wrong slot for them, 2FM need to rebuild their Dublin Market share and I dont think these guys will help it.

The Station has two of the best DJ/Presenters in the country in Tracy Clifford and Jenny Greene and in my opinion moving Jenny to a late evening/night time slot will be a mistake, The Jury is still out on the breakfast show, Carl and Doireann are radio people in the sense they have both studied and have worked their way through the world of radio, I just think Donnacha is somewhat out of place, I think he should stick to the Rugby punditry/Irelands Fittest Family but having said that there is a chemistry there that may improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

Ray Foley is an insufferable 24 carat wanker, he should be beaten repeatedly in the face until he shuts the **** up for good. Imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Expunge

I could imagine Dan Healy's reaction to that when you suggest it in a "strategy" meeting. First he spits out the latte in his mouth and enquires from you (in a low, menacing growl) how many Insta and Twitter followers he has.

When you are unable to tell him there and then, the roaring starts.

"Are you an eejit?" he'll scream while walloping the coffee cup off the glass table, all of his loyal producers now covered in latte foam and Healy's spittle.

They all look through the glass table to study the floor, knowing what's coming next.

"Ya must be an eejit coz that's the wuuurst idea I have EVER fooking heard!!!!" he bellows.

And here it comes, all the producers think, as one......

"You'll burn the fooking core audience!!!"

No one at that table has the heart or the courage to tell him that 2FM hasn't had a core audience in years.

"Get this fella outta my sight and get me Jonny Sexton's agent on the phone ..NOW!!!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

No one has to pay him 1/2 a million a year though? That's the beauty of moving him on. He'd be a contractor, as soon as contract is finished, you stop paying him and he moves on of his own accord, not your problem where he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

ray d'arcy filled in on some 2fm weekend shows in the late 1990s, between the period of finishing on The Den on Network 2 TV and starting on Today FM in 2000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Did he press the wrong button often during that stint on 2fm?

Advertisement