Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TFI Fare Revisions from 28th November 2022 Including New 90 Minute Fare.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It feels like, on almost all fronts, the NTA is failing in its mandate. Almost everything they do is delayed, and when they deliver the end result is always far from perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Easy solution would be just to reduce the fares for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Duit

Thank you for your comments. I've been reading all your messages and I'm still confused about this 90min fare. I used to have a tax saver ticket but now with the new Hybrid working, I will need to go back to the normal Leap Card. Let me provide a simple example:

• If I take a bus (Dublin Bus) to the city. Do I need to tap when I hop on and when I hop off the bus? Or only when I hop on? Can I still use the same ticket validator at the back or do I need to let the driver know?
    • Is there any difference in the ticket validation process if I'm only using the bus vs if I continue using any other transport system (e.g. Do I need to validate again when I hop on or off of the Dart, Luas or another bus)

Thanks a mil for your support!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Buses: Tag-on only - no tag off

If the journey is 1-3 stages tag on using the driver machine for the short fare.

Otherwise use the right hand validator for the 90 minute fare

Use the driver’s machine and ask if you’re not sure of the fare.

Trains & LUAS: Tag on and tag off

You must follow that procedure for every trip you make (including different elements of a longer journey).

The system will record each trip and if you’ve already paid the €2.30 on the first part of a longer trip, it will know to charge zero for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

What's the correct tag-on/tag-off procedure for changing from Luas to Commuter Train at Broombridge?

e.g., I tagged on at Luas O'Connell St, held my card up to the reader (once) at Broombridge and again when I got off the train at Coolmine. It seemed to take just €2.30 from my card but I wasn't convinced I was 'legal' if there'd been an inspection on the train leg of the journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Duit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,712 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I got off the Luas at Broombridge, and held my card up to the reader on the platform (I think that counts as tagging-off). I then got onto the commuter train. I genuinely didn't know whether I was supposed to hold it up to reader twice to signal a tag-off and an immediate tag-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,712 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I think you need to tag-off at the Luas platform and then back on on the train platform (i.e. different card-reader).

If you'd been inspected you would have been seen as tagged-off, but I'd imagine you could argue that you'd paid the fare anyway.

Cheers, it really wasn't clear to me in the dark what the expected procedure was - whether there are separate readers for Luas/train etc. Broombridge is rather unique on the T90 system I think, with no obvious separation between the two different modes.

It's a travel method I would like to try again - there seems to be a sweet-spot of 3 commuter trains arriving in Broombridge between 18:00 and 18:12 so if I can get a Luas in O'Connell at ~17:40/45 then for just €2.30 it compares favourably with getting a 39 bus from the quays. Not necessarily always quicker but more pleasant and less prone to a huge downside if traffic is fecked. But I'd like to be sure I'm doing it right.

• Advertisement

The readers are separate at Broombridge for both train and LUAS.

You need to tag off for one and tag on to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I had no idea that the right hand validator was for the 90 minute (€2.30) fare! Was this previously for the most expensive fare?

Would be nice if there was some way of knowing what that validator is for without having to ask on boards.ie! No driver ever told me that I could use it any time I asked for the 90 minute fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

2.30 Euro is now the most expensive so it didn't change. Most expensive right validator before and now. That didn't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Some people store both Ramblers and credit on the Leap Card. The driver may have assumed you wanted to use only €2.30 for a single trip from the credit and not have the remote validator deduct an entire Rambler day.

Ok - if you have prepaid tickets loaded onto your LEAP card, then when boarding a bus you should use the righthand validator to either use a day from the rambler ticket or validate your monthly/annual ticket.

In that scenario if you want to only use the epurse to pay a fare, be it €1.60 or €2.30 then go to the driver’s machine.

If you do not have any prepaid tickets loaded onto your LEAP card, and want to pay a fare, then use the driver’s machine for the short €1.60 fare (or if you’re not sure), and use the righthand validator for the €2.30 transfer fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭billyhead

Does anyone know if I tag on a Dublin bus and then tag on at Dublin Connolly within 90 minutes but forget to tag off at the destination Dublin commuter station what fare I will be charged. Is it 2.30?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

From memory, Irish Rail will take their max Leap fare minus 2.30 and you'll be charged that - the difference is refunded on tagging off.

This is off one set of trips with a temporary card when my partner forgot their taxsaver and I figured out it was cheaper to buy and then cancel a Leap than pay cash fares!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sellingsolution

Very similar to my query, Luas, walk, Dart and back again, Dart, walk, Luas. Do I tag off the Luas at all? And the reverse, tag on the Dart, then do I tag off it and tag on and off the luas as normal? Thanks in advance.

It is very simple:

For EVERY bus journey you tag on for each individual bus journey and there’s no tag off

For EVERY train & tram journey - tag on and tag off for each individual journey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Rosahane

This proposed fare reduction totally p155es me off!

Fifty or so years of paying for public transport for college and commuting, and now that I've got the old age free pass and enjoying the sense of superiority over the paying hoi polloi they want to reduce prices 😡

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Wait till you hear about BusConnects and how they'll... "gasp" chop off 10% of your garden! 🤯

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Is this you being jealous and upset for being old?

It has it's compensations. I bring the walker on the bus which takes up another seat so I can sit in isolation. Anyway I need another seat for my fedora and my tea flask and sandwiches.

Also I love the USB ports that are on the bus that I use too charge my phone, iPad, Apple remote, and a couple of torches ... prolongs the journeys a bit if they are low but hey... it's free 😀

I live in hope, it's a nuisance having to mow the front lawn. Also my gates won't close properly since the Mrs reversed into them about 20 years ago so it would be great to get a new wall, gates and a wedge of compensation ...although I don't think there's one planned for my road 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭jeffk

I've tried to Google this to see and lead too more confusion

Can I get the trains from navan road (phoneix park) to bray for two euro?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭jeffk

Thanks for the reply and information, the calculator is handy (I need to learn go Google better)

I just checked from m3 parkway to Bray is two euro, that can't be right?

Yes, it's correct.

In truth, with the 20% fare reduction, the Travel 90 concept and the 'fare linking' of buses, Luas and Irish Rail, we've genuinely never had it so good for public transport pricing in the Dublin area.

Note - you could even have got a bus from somewhere to M3 Parkway at the start of your journey and it would still just be €2 for everything.

• Advertisement

Yes it is correct as the “long fare” of EUR 2.00 applies as the two stations are within the “inner short hop zone”.

Fares involving stations outside that zone (bounded by Rush & Lusk, Maynooth, Hazelhatch and Bray) will be higher.

Advertisement