Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When's calving starting 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

All of the above, use the calving gate, her leg tied back and someone to keep the hip bone pressed back to prevent her trying to kick with the tied leg. Get an anti kick bar if you don't have someone to keep the hip pressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Back in the day when we just to tie cows in the byre we had a few flighty ones which would have been too dangerous to tie normally. So we got a jag from the vet to sedate them. Then we just had to guide them up onto the stall and tie them. When they came round they were accepting of the tying and no hassle.

So, speak with your vet about getting a sedative. If you can get her into a crush then you'll be fine - I presume your crush has removeable sides for the calf to get in and suck?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Dunedin

That’s it exactly. Have safe crush which is a calving gate. Gettting jag off vet so hopefully will help sort it. 35 years dealing with cows and never had the likes of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Years ago we used to have half bred dairy cows with lots of milk so we would double suckle the cows, the odd one would be kicker at the start, we use to tie up one of the front feet, usually the side the "adopted" calf was on. It always controlled them and they wouldn't kick then, I always found it easier to tie up a front foot that risk getting flaked out of it with a flying back foot trying to tie it. As for your cow Dunedin I would guess she will settle enough to rear her calf for the year and then show her the gate. If you think she wouldn't suckler bred calves are a flying trade in the mart, once the calf is over 10 day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

That's the right way. We've tied legs and it only drives them madder.

Just on this - do the C shaped anti kick bars that you put on the cows work? Problem is when you are trying to get a calf to suck any move at all from the cow can make a balls of the operation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,121 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Just be very cautious of cows that are sedated as they can suddenly come alive and react. Years ago I had to get a cow sedated (pbr Blonde) by the Vet so that we could get her into a hoof trimming crate. All went well for about 5 mins until she fought the sedative and went berserk in the crate nearly turning it over and we had to let her out. She was nearly 1000kgs and the reason that we had to get her sedated was the hoof man was afraid of her cause she'd throw the head about with strangers. We eventually got her trimmed a few weeks later but the Vet had to knock her out and a different hoof man paired the foot while she lay on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭alan10

Thanks for all the advice. I am giving synulox tablets, tubing Lectade & milk and they seem to be not getting worse.

Re: the lamp v jacket - I have a creep gate into a small corner well bedded and warm, surrounded square bales - cow cant get in but calves go out to suck and come back in under the lamp themselves. I had jacket on lad that died...it was some mess - might have been too big but there was some bang of scour of it and he had it covered in it as he wasn't standing.

Got jab from vet. Home from work and faced out to dreaded task. And hallelujah calf was sucking herself. Did a Father Jack reverse when he saw the nuns. Hopefully she’ll settle enough in a few days and I’ll get her onto the slats and she’s safe then. And so am I

someone mentioned Kick start here in an earlier post so got it and gave calf 30ml yesterday evening so maybe that’s what got the calf going.

checked records of calves of last few years and luckily she’s had a bull calf the last 3 years so I’ve no replacements out of her. She has heifer calf this year but she won’t ever see a bull either.

The debate will always linger about the cost of the suckler cow but it’s the danger factor with them that’s the biggest ailment of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Not really calving related but is it risky giving an incalf cow antibiotics? Due in march and has abscess in foot

I will ring vet in morning but just wondering if anyone went through something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Pen strep be no bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

That's great, typical when you'd be about to give up or try the shot that they would be sucking

🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭tanko

No problem with antibiotics, can’t give steroids in advanced pregnancy afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭RD10

Would a cow being induced last year have any effect on her calving away on her own this year?

Wouldn’t think so. Maybe greysides could confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭alan10

Loki heifer calf, SI cow

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

just in the door exhausted, a big and tall 2 year old simx heifer calving to Brooklands Marco. Calf got caught at the hips and didn’t survive. First time it’s happened to me, jesus hearing the calf roaring is awful. By the time we got her out she was gone, no amount of shaking or cold water could bring her back. It was my first time trying a LM on a heifer and reading fellas on here saying Marco was calving ok had me hopeful I’d be alright too Will probably stick to using Salers on heifers from now as I haven’t had an issue with them. Won’t sleep a wink tonight and those sounds of the calf will haunt me for a while, It’s all part of farming I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Baalbec10

Sorry to hear that. Never had anything happen like that here but I could imagine it wouldn't be good. Marco would be too strong for 2 year old heifers, fellas talking about him calving to heifers are calving down at 3+ years. Can't beat the salers for a hassle free first time.

• Advertisement

No Didn't have one, always got away with some ropes at the most if ever I needed them. Haven't assisted a calving in 10+ years so I've been extremely lucky. My own fault for not having a calving jack around all the same. Got a foster calf this morning so seeing the heifer latch onto the calf has improved the mood around the place.

Ya it was my first time trying 2 year old calving too and I chanced him because the heifer was a big frame for her age so I thought I'd be ok but sure the calf had plenty room in there to grow and was very long when it came out. Stick to what you know is my biggest takeaway from this! Ya it's an easier life calving to Salers for sure, have a bbx foster calf now so it's nice to see something in there with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Baalbec10

That will raise the spirits no end. That is farming for you. Best of luck with the rest of calving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭tanko

I wouldn’t put anything else only Saler bulls on heifers, i wouldn’t be a fan of them calving at two years old either, it’s great when it works out but i tried it and found it hit and miss, some heifers grew on well after it but others stayed too small after, it was too hard on them. I looked at two Saler x Lim bullocks off heifers i sold to a neighbour last September the other day, they didn’t look out of place with ten yellow Charolais he bred him self. He’s very impressed with them. Was watching Carnaross on Monday, saw a Saler x Lim bullock 700kgs make €1800, they make great cows for margainal land too. I’m going to ring the Saler society now to see if i can get paid for this🤔🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Found that calving at 2 years often resulted in they going in calf the following year but not for the third calving. Remember Dr Dan Ryan saying saying similar in Farming Independent for the dairy herd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

What happened exactly? Was the heifer lying down when you were pulling? I've experienced the death roar here before but I managed to resuscitate the calf. It walked in circles for days but came right eventually.

I remember Doreen Corridan of NCBC saying that the calf can't breath when you are pulling, so give it a break to let it breath. If it's hanging off the cow with cow standing and caught at hips then maybe that's why it can't breath.

Post edited by patsy_mccabe on

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Heifer was standing for ages while we were pulling and we did take a break every now and again to give the calf a chance as it was already moving it's front legs. Got the head and shoulders out while she was standing but after about 5mins of pulling to get the hips out she had the legs go from under her in the calving gate and while on the ground after another few minutes of pulling we got the calf out but by then it had stopped moving so we knew we were up against it to bring her back

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ya, it's hard to know what to do at times.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

1st thing I bought here was a jack once I moved the farm to sucklers and especially using LM bulls. Luckily only used for drying things now as very rarely needed last couple of years.

I calve mostly at ~24mths but i wont be using LM bulls again at that age. Way to hard on them. I used Knell few years back on a few & wasn't worth the headache. Salers from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Who2

I would be having palpitations if the calving jack wasn’t here. I currently have two even if one of them is old and slightly worn it’s there as back up.

any Marco calves I’ve had here have been exceptionally easy calved. Is your heifer wide enough of the pelvis? I had a run of torture here with curaheen apostle heifers that all looked the part but wouldn’t calve a mouse. The last calf I had to get cheese wired ( a good few years back) was a limo on a si apostle heifer that was first calving at 700kg.

Aside from the calving, while it’s unfortunate you lost the calf a farmer once told me,”that if I couldn’t accept a loss every now and then, that I shouldn’t be at sucklers.” It was harsh but it’s all part of it.

Advertisement