Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Easy tyre recommendations to install on a Dura Ace 7800 WHEELSET

• 16-02-2022 6:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Hi Boardies,

Had a wrestling match with a pair of Conti 500's and trying to mount on a pair of Dura ace 7800 wheelset /also tried a set of Mavic cosmic SL's ,i had to give up after breaking tyre levers and risking damaging rims,i have ordered a BBB Easy tire changer,

I got a few tricks from you tube to mount the conti's but my concern is if out training and i puncture cant have a wrestling match on the side of the road :)

Can anyone recommend an easier set of good quality (23 or 25) tyres to mount please?

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I used to struggle putting on certain tyre's in the past too.I then looked up a few Youtube video's like yourself and realised it was down to my bad technique.I changed 3 main things so that now no tyre has beaten me,plus I got a job in a bike shop,so practice makes perfect.

1.Put very small bit of ir in the tube to give it shape,you can let some out as you get more off the tyre on the rim.

2.Always start putting on a tyre opposite the valve.

3.As your putting on the 2nd side of the tyre,push the side thats fitted into the well (centre ) off the rim.This will make the tyre loser on the rim and free up a bit of slack on the 2nd side of the tyre making it easier to finally mount the tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭ciarano

Thanks for the reply. but i still need a recommendation for easier tyres :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've used hutchinson fusion tyres - on askiums, cosmics, and zondas - and i've never had an issue with them. they seem like a good tyre too.

Great many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭ARX

A lubricant like Schwalbe Easy Fit helps enormously. I carry this in my saddle bag, it makes roadside tyre changing child's play:

https://www.rosebikes.ie/rema-tip-top-remaxx-bike-mounting-fluid-2674342

• Advertisement

Great many thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

am curious now to know what that's made from - could be a common household chemical, would save you buying a dedicated product.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭ARX

From the reviews on Rose:

"gutes Gleitmittel, aber Spüliwasser geht auch" (good lubricant, but dishwater works too)

"Nicht schlecht, aber auch nicht viel besser als Pril" (Not bad, but also not much better than Pril (a German washing-up liquid brand)).

Whether washing-up liquid and rim brakes are a safe combination I don't know.

Danke 😂

I read elsewhere liquid soap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I just use a Kool Stop tyre jack, it's a bit bigger than a mini pump. I got it recently when I ordered a set of Marathon Winter Plus as I have past experience with the Marathon Plus. I have Fulcrum Racing 4 wheels and they seem to be part of the problem, even putting on 26c Pirelli Cinturato Velo was tough so it's already worth the tenner I paid.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Any chance you bought tubeless 5000's by mistake or anything? I'm a recent 5000 convert and I've fitted them to Bontrager aeolus wheels and on Mavic Cosmic pro carbon exaliths with no particular difficulty. Ride with 3 other lads who are all on 5000's now on a variety of wheelsets and no mounting issues or excessive roadside puncture wrestling.

Sorry I'm presuming clincher 5000s on clincher wheels. If you're talking tubeless or tubeless ready wheels and or tyres then I can't help you I'm afraid

Hi there thanks for the reply

I contacted bike 24 and they advised contis can be difficult with certain wheel brands

Thank you for your e-mail.

I' m sorry that there are problems with the tires. Unfortunately, it sometimes happens that tires are difficult to mount. The reason for this is, that there are tolerances in the diameter of the tires and rims. Some combinations of tires and rims are therefore more difficult to mount. For example, Continental tires fit very difficult on Mavic rims.

Helpful can be this assembly fluid, you can alternatively use some soapy water. It is also important that the tire sits well in the rim base in order to save important space.

Schwalbe Easy Fit Mounting Fluid 50ml

Bought a tyre jack and a koolstop

Thanks everyone for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Washing up liquid would do a similar job to get tyres on. When I worked on a building site many moons ago it was used to slot 4 inch wavin pipes together. However they do create a bit of a seal too so not to use too much.

Advertisement