Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardaí to crack down on teens carrying out assaults in Dublin and posting videos to TikTok

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This was on the radio earlier and they were rightly critical. Later in the show they had a soft piece interview with an MMA fighter.

But will the media report accurately on the gangs? Will we be allowed to discuss these gangs fully?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

What does crack down hard on them mean?

Arrest them and bring them to court? "oh they are under 18. That'll be an asbo and the Probation Act, run along now kiddo and be good"

Realistically, for under 18s that is all that can be done except in all but the most extreme cases of repeat offending that have not responded to multiple interventions

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There is pretty much no deterrent so this be what happens…

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

God Christians who do charity when they go to court

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭zv2

And how much is this going to cost? You could pay a carpenter a few hundred to knock up a guillotine, sharpen up the blade and set it up in the town center; keep the heads rolling. You could transport it from town to town. Why don't people just listen to me? I could fix crime in two weeks if they'd just listen.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Comments disabled on the article in the OP so I'm guessing not.

The article does a great job of dancing around the specifics but I'm guessing it's the same crowd that were attacking people on the DART line previously.

Yeh saw the pics and vids shared online. Sinn Fein representative speaking about it but not giving details or descriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

There is no incentive to cop on if you can’t be properly prosecuted for it.

The smart ones will realise when they need to get their **** together, the others will just keep doing what they are doing.

The real problem is the rising dependency on social media validation which gives people short term attention fixes, without which they don’t seem to have a persona.

I know I would have been an absolute sucker for this sort of **** and I am just glad that I am obviously too old for this sort of craze.

It's absolutely ridiculous when serious issues like this can't be properly discussed because of fear that someone might get offended

• Advertisement

These teen gangs have been a fixture for years and nothing is done. The mainstream media, outside of the odd tabloid, and the quangos don't want to touch it with a barge-pole. I wonder why?

Here are some links, the first, has a video of one of the gang encounters from 2020 https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/teen-gang-war-continues-dublin-22502497

The second even includes a photo of one of these gangs taken by themselves as far back as 2019 https://theliberal.ie/tyrrelstown-terror-local-residents-say-teenage-gangs-are-simply-out-of-control/

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Did you read the OP at all Chocolate Ice? The youths in this case doing the attacks and posting to tiktok were from Cabra and Broombridge. Any excuse to post some weird Gemma O Doherty type of website link though eh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Journal locking the comments on this story as you'd expect.

try a little harder reading the article, the whole article. Quite vague. says north dublin. Also and i quote," Some groups are using the Luas line to travel into the area. In one incident at the Broombridge stop, a large group of dozens of teenagers were intercepted by gardaí."

These random attacks are very similar to the attacks previously reported over the last few years in North Dublin, with the culprits frequently using public transport to travel around. Similar attacks have been reported in Balbriggan for example

• Registered Users Posts: 13,218 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

You clearly know nothing about the Cabra/Broombridge area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 15,712 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wow, a leaflet drop, that'll teach them.

Removing all welfare payments from the parents/guardians, or applying a 100% tax rate to their earned incomes would stop this fairly sharpish. Also long sentences in a proper youth prison(with daytime schooling), staffed by prison officers, not social care workers would go a long way too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They said on the radio that some of them were hanging around outside a shop in the area last night.

Among the weapons carried was a hammer, a baseball bat and some sort of big stick.

It's not exactly cutting edge policing to disrupt this carry on.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately the ages of the individuals and the "political" dimension is probably very much in the mind of AGS leadership in their responses here

No-one wants a repeat of what happened in Blanch SC and surrounds not too long ago!

It's not exactly cutting edge policing to disrupt this carry on

Disrupt, sure.. but how long should the police shadow them to ensure they don't just continue it elsewhere?

TBH without effective measures to punish teenagers (and put the fear of God in them), the Gardai are pretty much powerless. TBF so are the parents. There's not a lot anyone can do with a teenager that refuses to listen.

I suspect he is alluding to the unrest after the Gardai shooting George NKencho

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

not cutting edge but where there is little effort and endeavour will you get little result.

not from rank and file per say but politicians and Garda management alike.

arrest, trial, convict and sentence… appropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Maybe the Guards are jealous that they young fells' videos are more popular then their own line dancing ones?

My friends young fella is in secondary school in leitrim. Last week there was a fight between kids, one ended up in Beaumont with a fractured skull, about 60 other kids stood around a recording it on their phones and then uploading it to the internet.

That's life now, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭babyducklings1

It all started with having a camera and a video maker on a phone. In the wrong hands it can be a dangerous thing. Far too easy to film and post stuff. Back in the day you needed a video camera to make videos and video camera weren’t cheap. Most people didn’t probably bother or only made the home videos you’d see sent into the likes of the BBC with funny clips like a couple falling over on their first dance at their wedding, or a family pet doing tricks etc, was pretty harmless stuff. The horse is bolting now though. One thing we can do is provide more education around digital responsibility and start this in primary schools, get our kids thinking critically at an early age. Needs to happen right away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Age of criminal responsibility should be lowered to 16 for violent crime - I don’t give a **** who you are or how “difficult” your upbringing was, even 5 year olds know violence is wrong.

We are actually so lenient on these scum it is shocking. The idea that the little rodent that fatally stabbed Urantsetseg Tserendorj in the neck while she walked home from work will just get away with it ultimately because he’s too young makes me sick.

The little prick knew what he was doing was wrong. If he’s doing that at 15 he’s already too far gone - lock him up and throw away the key. It’s only going to end in another litany of crimes and innocent lives and families destroyed while he jumps from suspended sentence to suspended sentence.

Advertisement