Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pieces of Her [Netflix]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Was looking forward to this!

The book was a serious page turner.

Some reviews coming out.

Will definitely be watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,969 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Toni is a great actress

Episode one was solid I thought. Toni Collette was excellent as usual.

The daughter was pretty annoying and clueless...but then again I think she was like that in the book as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

Ooh! Can’t wait to watch it. I read one of Slaughter’s books before but I found it a little disturbing to be honest. But this looks good !

ps it was pretty girls. A page Turner but disturbing as I said

Post edited by bejeezus on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'd go with solid too, based on the first episode.

The first situation is bound to reshape any mother/daughter relationship. The knife through the hand was quite striking as an image, not to mention having to sit in a hospital bed in that situation. I'm not sure I bought the second scenario, telling the daughter to flee. It seemed a little bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,109 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just watched first episode, no idea it was based on a book but seems very good.

Episode 2 I found slow....not as good as episode 1 hope it picks up.

One question for book readers more so.

Was the guy in the bar...not in the book earlier....I think he was hanging outside the hospital? I could be wrong its a while since I read it....

Anyone looking at episode 4? I’m a little confused with it atm!

Only finished ep4 too. It is a bit all over the place..multiple timelines and not really that explicitly clear how they link...the flow isnt great.

Realising who the characters are in the different timelines is essential.

I think there are quite a few changes so far from the book....the main girl isn't great...Toni Collette is excellent as usual.

It will come together eventually if it follows the same basic structure as the book, hopefully it has a proper ending, it would suit a one and done imo. Plenty of other good Karin Slaughter books netlfix could adapt, pretty girls has a lot of potential as a TV adaptation.

The pieces of it all are there tbh, the witness protection, the flashbacks to Oslo, the Queller name, Nick and the army of the changing world (which has popped up a good bit in the articles Andy read etc).

The Andy character does become more driven and less clueless and annoying as it goes on...at least in the book.

Post edited by gmisk on

• Advertisement

Pretty Girls would be a good choice actually. Was disturbed by the book though! I’m sure they could tone it down for tv.

Yeah it was gory and grim alright.

Don't really understand why there are so few Karin Slaughter adaptations especially when there are so many Harlan Coben ones!

Have to agree with you. She knows how to tell a story and I’m hoping for more from her in the future. After the success of pieces of her, I’m sure it’ll happen!

Episode 5

At least it it now becoming a bit more coherent story wise.

The young Jane is a big issue....Jessica Barden (who is a very capable actress, she is terrific in the end of the f#cking world) she is really struggling with the accent (has she got in false teeth or what?!?) her performance is very stiff.

Finished it.

Watchable for me but not great.

The ending....poor.

Good summary of book ending in below.

Totally different to the book....clearly they fancied leaving it open ended so they could make another season. It just basically dropped all the main plot in the Paula Kunde/Koontz part. Clara was also only in flashbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The book was a good page turner. They made the daughter into a right eejit in the series

"Watchable" about sums it up...... even an " meh"........... still, Toni Collette is fantastic......all the way back to 'Muriel's Wedding"...... She is a brilliant actress

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Watchable - yes. Also subpar - yes? Fourth episode had a bit of a jolt, so we'll see.

A mixed bag, with a few frustrations. Never fires on full cylinders and gets bogged down. Stretches the suspension of disbelief from early on.

Also, too many shows use the t-bone out of nowhere car crash thing.

Advertisement