Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Problems with UPS - import bike parts from uk

• 14-02-2022 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭

Hi - just wondering if anyone here has used UPS for purchases from the uk post Brexit.

I had a package delivered last week (bike parts) and I was charged vat on the value of the parts. No problem there - but they added a “notional” shipping cost to the value of the goods, based only on the weight of the goods. Vat was then levied on this notional shipping charge (€64). The actual shipping charge was €11. Additional vat payment = €12.19. The value of the parts were c€20.

Even though UPS were paid the actual cost of €11 they will not amend the amount of vat charged unless I can prove the shipping cost. I can’t as it was paid by the person sending the package in the uk, so I don’t have the receipt. I’m finding this very frustrating and it seems sharp practice to overcharge recipients of goods VAT - as they know exactly the actual shipping charge in this case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Will the shipper send you a copy of the receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

I’ve asked but waiting for it. The shipper paid UPS so personally can’t understand why UPS have to add a ridiculous additional notional shipping charge to the calculation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I would put it in writing that they have the price of shipping and that you will pay the VAT on that and no more. You are willing to pay the €7.15 which it is their legal duty to collect (and yours to pay) immediately. You should have a waybill number that they can cross reference.

They all do it to make extra cash, I don't tolerate it. I got Fedex to knock their €50 something euro admin and VAT fee down to the legally required €23. I paid DHL an admin fee as they said it before it shipped and it was minimal. They all can calculate this when placing the shipping order with ease, they should have an automated response to say either the shipper or receiver pays and once agrees they collect. It would be a simple automated process and not this scheming BS they try all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Thanks - this isn’t about the €12 overcharge, but I find this overcharging really frustrating. I’ve no problem paying vat when it’s due but they are totally taking advantage of the situation that we are in.

I managed to get the sender to update the ups generated invoice with the actual shipping charge & UPS agreed to reflect this in the charge (after 10+ emails)…

They have now increased their admin / processing fee from €8.86 to €18.45 so I’m back to square one - cue more emails and no response…

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Pay them the calculated VAT and if you feel it appropriate, the admin fee (original one) but they are legally required to collect VAT, the rest is a contract you never agreed to and they should have reflected that admin fee in their shipping fee. Once you have it calculated, send them an email and let them ring you to arrange payment of that and no more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Basically what Cram says is what happened to me with Fedex. They delivered, told me they paid the VAT and duties and wanted another 20 quid or whatever for the pleasure. I basically told them to do one, I'd happily pay the VAT and duty but the contract for delivery was between them and the sender (or something to that effect) and all t&cs that I signed up to didn't have any admin fee.

They got a debt company involved whom took the vat and import fee only and waived the admin fee so FedEx ended up out of money by being arseholes.

Advertisement