Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Book about disaster involving the Moon

Options
  • 15-02-2022 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

years ago I was a few chapters into a book when I lost it on a trip.

I had intended to buy another but it just kept going out of my head. The new Emmerich disaster movie put it back in my mind because the book was also called (I though) Moonfall.

However the only science fiction book I can find called Moonfall is by Jack McDevitt and it isn’t the one I owned.

In the book there some event where the Moon becomes a danger to Earth - I don’t remember but it is either from an asteroid collision, or the moon suddenly starts getting closer to Earth or dust from the Moon starts to contaminate the Earth (this came into my head as I was typing.

The main character is a male American scientist and I think the plan is to evacuate the Earth with as many people as possible. Or maybe the plan is to go to the Moon to fix it.

Honestly I know this is not helpful information but it pecking at the back of my head for weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

As is typical after countless searches on Google I find the book online right after starting a thread.

It is called Moonseed and I now also remember that after starting it I realised it was part of a series and had stopped reading just before losing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I thought Seveneves might be it, but the story is a different and the Moon is only part of it. Still a good book, though.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

I came across that title when searching.

Moonseed is a the final book in trilogy set on an Earth where the Apollo program continued.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

is that the baxter novel, where some nano bot type grey goo infects the earth/

Advertisement