Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV licence inspector

• 14-02-2022 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

I got a letter in my door asking me to call TV licence section, to arrange an inspection at my home.

I think they have seen a satellite dish on side of building. I don't gave a receiver box or TV. What's the best way to handle this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Allinall

Let them come along and have a look.

IGNORE....IGNORE& IGNORE.

why help them out?????......its only 'fishing' exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd not be inviting anyone in to the home without a warrant. They will just send the same letter again next year and the year after, constant harrasement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

From an old Irish Times article...

"....And under the Broadcasting Act 2009 they have the right to enter “at any reasonable time any premises or specified place for the purposes of ascertaining whether there is a television set there”.

So telling them to clear off might not work. Although its unlikely they'd tried to force their way past you, who knows what next steps are available to them.

If it was me, I'd let him in to see the not-there telly. Then after he goes, I'd wait a while before acquiring one, in case of a sneaky revisit. Or I'd just go and buy the blinking licence.

I wonder how much my TV licences have cost since I started buying them in 1983??? Probably best not to go there.

• Advertisement

Seems to be an extraordinary tactic, I've had over a decade of letters to the "occupier", wrong name, wrong gender , muppets 🙄

No reflection on OP but this tactic sounds as Ludicrous as the Gardai writing to a burglary suspect, asking if they could come visit and check the contents of their home 😁

I'm not doubting you as I'm not familiar with the act but I'd be very surprised if an inspector could just enter someone's home 🤔 perhaps driveway, garden but not someone's home surely 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Yes, but is a satellite dish classed as capable of receiving TV signal, therefore I need a licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

**** them, throw it in the bin and if someone knocks say you don't answer questions from strangers.

They receive a satellite signal, not a TV single as such, they have to prove you have a device to actually watch what is being received, namely a TV.

There's literally 1000's of unused satellite dishes left on the side of buildings, houses across the country. They must prove you have a physical TV in your home , even one present and not in use requires a license, so no TV, no licence required, Dish is irrelevant albeit used on occasion to spuriously assume a premises has a TV .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We had them call by at an apartment block but they were only interested in properties unlisted for TV licences.

I heard they are using a new tactic at apartment blocks...

Any units with no licence, they are waiting outside in the early morning.

Cam I ask was the letter addressed to you personally or to "The Occupier"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Technically s TV Inspector has more power than a Garda in this situation. He is an authorized officer. Under the act he can go into your house uninvited. It's highly unlikely he would I imagine however he could look in Windows or open doors. If asked there is a legal obligation on you to give you name whether resident in the house or not. If you are not resident in the house he is entitled to question you as to who is resident in the house, there names etc.

OP if what you say is fact it's as easy to let them inspect and see there is no TV in the house. I imagine they will just look in the living area and leave.

Slava Ukrainii

I genuinely wasn't aware they had authority to physically enter someone's property, seems extraordinary, a Garda who has the power of arrest would think twice before entering someone's property, but I take your word for it . I agree they seem to catch people out by way of snooping through windows etc .

Addressed to, the occupier.

I've had this experience at a previous address.. I emailed them, saying no TV at this address.

Was not a good idea, as simply confirmed I was at the address, and then had my name. U got 2 more letters which I binned, then they doorstepped me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

That article is likely referring to Section 147, subsection 3.

(3) An officer of an issuing agent may enter at any reasonable time any premises or specified place for the purposes of ascertaining whether there is a television set there and a television licence is for the time being in force in respect of the premises or specified place authorising the keeping of a television set at the premises or specified place.

And there's a prize for anyone who can categorically state what the wording above even means!!! :) Seriously, they really should have intelligent, English speaking people write their laws, because the above wording is completely nonsensical and would result in a fail at even Junior Cert level English.

Either way, it certainly doesn't grant a license inspector permission to break into a home, nor to use physical force against someone obstructing them.

Just ignore all letters that come from them. And simply close the door on any inspectors that come to your home (ideally, don't open it in the first place). If you do not engage, there's very little they can do.

Hopefully, someday, the people of Ireland will elect TD's capable of having the vision to completely remove this archaic, unethical and completely unnecessary law.

I see, the old "Occupier Chesnut " if you've had no contact whatsoever, email or otherwise at current address, I'd personally ignore it but that's for you to decide.

The Occupier has absolutely no standing legally or otherwise in relation to making formal contact with someone, they've clearly no idea whos6at the address and I'd personally leave it that way 😉

I'm genuinely shocked at that wording, utterly meaningless. I look forward to the day one trys to access my property 😏 that's of course if they get by a dirty big wall, fencing, trenches, land mines and barbed wire 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I love the way the negative ninnies say ignore ignore.

Don't ignore.

If you don't have a TV either let them in or send in the declaration that you can get here https://www.tvlicence.ie/home/tv-licence-forms.html

If you don't, then by not declaring or refusing to allow them check you run the risk of having to appear in court and making a declaration there

Courts and judges hate time wasters, so they may not accept your declaration at that point and you will have little way if proving you had no TV.

So save yourself a lot of utterly needless hassle and just let them look or send in the declaration.

Remember none of the ninnies will go to court on your behalf or pay you for your lost day's earnings.

• Advertisement

All absolutely wonderful and enlightening and of course utter shyte. If a licensing authority hasn't got the wear with all to identify residents of properties they've no business being engaged in collection of licensing fee's. Are you suggesting citizens do their work for them.

I've lived and own my home for twenty years, pay my taxes , including property tax , I even paid water charges and yet 20 years later these clowns can't even get my name right .

This aside I don't have a TV but the notion I'd pay a fee to subsidise RTE is utterly repugnant to me.

Ninnies, whatever they are, my arse 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

What's a "wear with all"?

And license is for a premises, not for a person. But you know that don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I don't know how to multi-quote (I just invented a verb!).

Yeah its pretty scary to my eyes. However, as I said earlier I doubt a TV Licence Inspector would flash his badge and kick your door down - but hey, I've been wrong before 😲.

I'd say there's lots of legislation like that out there that we're not aware of. But , at the end of the day, I'm sure these officials are just guys on a wage like the rest of us. Boxes have to be ticked, so the letter in the o.p. is probably just that. No doubt there's a process for follow up if no response is received. You probably can't write back and deny entry, as they would probably quote the above bits from the law saying YOU MUST let me in. So I'd imagine the process culminates with a Garda accompanying a Warrant carrying Inspector. but that's guess work.

( My idea as to the likely approach of the Inspector is based on a stint as a temp in Social Welfare. From the dole, I got a job in a 'dole office' and I saw the thing from a completely perspective. )

Indeed I do but as I'm sure you equally know they have to identify the Occupier/ Owner etc by name if they wish to issue a summons , unless you think a summons could be issued to the red bricked building or stone cottage etc 🙄

Congratulations on the new Verb 😁 but yes I hear you and agree 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

OP

If you don't have a TV you don't have a problem.

There is no law that says you must have a licence if you don't have a TV.

Just go with the flow and make the appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 XT1200

Another urban myth. And no one can enter your home unless they have a warrant, or if you invite them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

An inspector forced his way past my sister, in college residence in the past. So not sure about your statement. She was pretty shook up about it at the time.

I'm sure they aren't all like that of course.

That's outrageous 😳 not sure if college residences have a different legal status as a private residence but I'd certainly have lodged a formal complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭EarWig

Yes, just has to be.

That would be a long wait and when is the last time you saw somebody waiting in a corridor outside an apartment.

Advertisement