Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Superbowl LVI Thread - Los Angeles Rams v Cincinatti Bengals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Donald is the most clutch defender I have ever seen.

Stopped Perine one yard short, exploded onto Burrow for the fourth down sack. Man mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,490 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Whose MVP? Kupp gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Cincinnati Bengals

Hardly a classic, but a decent game all the same.

The difference for me was the play calling at the end. On 4th and short with the game on the line, the Rams give the ball to their best player in Kupp on a sweep and he runs for the first down.

On 3rd and short right at the end, the Bengals run backup RB Samaje Perine straight at Aaron Donald.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Cincinnati Bengals

congrats to the rams but the bengals made them work for it. The bengals got away with a face mask in the game and the rams got a very soft holding call. I didn’t see it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

LA Rams

Has to be Kupp, Donald made some plays at the end but Kupp was the big difference maker when the offence was struggling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭techdiver

Donald for me.

Edit: Refreshing that we are debating an MVP and it not being the usual lazy award to a QB imho.

Kupp got it, deservedly slow imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Cincinnati Bengals

Wasn't a great game but had some great moments, Kupp was my MVP for the season so I'm glad he got at the big dance if the Rams had to win. Came up huge even with the extra attention after OBJ left the game. Donald was good too.

Disappointed for the Bengals, just didn't have enough.

Loved the half time show, thought it was perfect (apart from some dodgy sound). Great to see them all together dropping tune after tune. Just wish it was longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Cincinnati Bengals

Obviously bengals fans will be disappointed but from my neutral view point that team is one that will be around for years to come. They are a young team and provided they can fix that Oline which held out longer than it was expected tonight, then with the skill players they have it wont be the last time we see them at the business end of the season.

• Advertisement

If The Ram's are to grow as a feature in LA (Their history doesn't lend themselves to a loyal fan base) do you think it's crucial to try and convince the likes of Donald etc to stay on to build the name.

Stafford is box office but Donald has an aura about him. He's only 30 so could easily play on. Is it feasible to offer him top QB type money (as he already earns more than "some" QB's).

You could easily see more kids in LA wearing Donald shirts as opposed to Stafford ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Watched a 5mins highlights of the game this morning. Packers wuda won that easily had 49ers not pulled off a robbery of the century. Only Chiefs or Bills wuda given Packers a game in the final of Super Bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

LA Rams

Beckham Jrs injury ruined my -8.5 bet.

Wasn't a great SuperBowl, but definitely nowhere near the worst either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

Far better than the last one the Rams were in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

LA Rams

As a Broncos fan, delighted for Miller, getting his 2nd SB ring & his 59th QB to be sacked (btw is that a record? probably not).

Actually when trying to find this stat, I came across another interesting 'find', a stat where Archie Manning has a better stat than his son Peyton !!

As Donald tweeted earlier in his career : "Defences win Championships" (they do & he did)

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

LA Rams

They certainly do.

Ashawn Robinson had a low-key good game as well I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

LA Rams

I thought the game was good, Rams probably deserved it but Cincinnati will be kicking themselves, they were in position to win but couldn't get it done.

I thought they had a chance to at least force overtime at the end. 3rd and 1 call to Perine was awful, that needs to be your best call there, they are probably 8 yards from FG range there, at the very least run it with Mixon or get a quick pass with Burrow. So that was bad.

Cincinnati spent most of the second half in cruise control, I feel a bit more aggression and urgency and they could have had a bit of a cushion. From when the got the Int to almost the end of the game they were just way tooo conservative.

For the Rams I thought McVay's play calling was atrocious. He was coaching not to lose rather than to win. The run game was so bad it was comical and he still calling these runs up the middle for no gain well into the 4th quarter. He's got the best receiver in the game and he's throwing to back up TE's and Running backs.

I think both of these coaches kind of panicked on the big stage but the Rams just had better players which told in the end. The Cincinnati O-line held up well in the first half but by the end Burrow was under too much pressure to really pull it out.

I'd also question the officials. no flags the entire game then all of a sudden at the end they are calling every little thing down at the goal line? If you give a team enough chances down there they will score eventually.

Rams probably just about deserved to win but I think KC and Buffalo will be really kicking themselves watching that.

I also don't agree with the narrative that Cincinnati will necessarily be in contention every year, the AFC is loaded and we saw with like Brees, Rodgers, even Manning for a long time its not easy to get back to that position. Cincinnati have a lot of work to do on that offensive line and defense.

Let's not forget that the Rams needed help from the officials that wasn't there the whole game to get the final TD. I'm talking about the defensive holding call, not the pi call after it. I've no issue with the pi call but the holding call wasn't called on multiple plays all game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BarryNumber1

Poor attempt at trolling, Packers had questions all season on special teams, plus the Lions loss. Plus no sense of urgency from Rodgers. Beaten by SF when it mattered who a week prior got past Cowboys by making less mistakes than them. Rams looked the business during the regular season when they turned it on. Rams, Bucs, Bengals would all have beaten Packers comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

LA Rams

As some predicted the game wasn't as explosive offensively as some might have hoped with both teams somewhat crossing each other out due to McVay and Taylor having such in-depth familiarity of each other systems, both defences were mostly solid and you had a feeling Kupp and Donald were inevitably going to stamp their authority on the game at the right time

Delighted for Stafford, always enjoyed watching him at the Lions and felt he was overlooked as a top 10 level QB by being stuck in that mostly poor Lions team for so many years.

I'm not a fan of short term 'all-in' approaches to try to win a SB but it's been a brilliant execution by the Rams to win it in their own new multi billion dollar stadium 5 years after re-locating to LA. They'll suffer a hangover from this over the next few years without any draft picks, paying Stafford and cap space maxed but a Lombardi is a Lombardi and the profile of the team in that huge market should grow

Unlike most teams over the years who have lost a SB and have struggled to get over it I'm more optimistic the Bengals have everything in place to make it back in this active SB window. The foundations of a talented young team are strong and can improve, Burrow and Chase are respectively 2/3 years away from being paid, they haven't traded any of their future draft picks and they are in great shape with their cap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

LA Rams

I love the fact that in the middle of the Super Bowl, the fonz was having a random discussion with an Irish guy about Soda bread

https://twitter.com/hwinkler4real/status/1493023145158082560?s=21

LA Rams

Why are people incapable of talking about a game without claiming the officials helped a team to win it.

The Bengals wouldn't have been in the position they were in if that facemask on Higgins was called as it should have been. It wasn't. Rams went back again and again and got a call in their favour.

Also, if you put your hands on the waist of a targeted receiver that late in the game then you're asking for the officials to throw up a flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

LA Rams

Thought overall the officials did a good job of letting them play, I think the miss of the facemask for the Bengals TD at the beginning of the third maybe caused the refs to look for spots to even it up so to speak but it was great to see them let the teams compete. Not a high quality game but compelling, I thought burrow was great he's gonna have rings no doubt but I do think he made some mistakes towards the end that cost his team. I also thought they did him no favour on the sidelines by waiting so long to go jumbo and shore up that O line

Donald is just a beast, that stop on third down where he just grabs the running back and pulls him backwards while already wrestling with a Bengal was unbelievable.

Rams could get nothing done on the ground all night, could get nothing done through the air once they lost a couple of weapons and it really came down to one drive where they just force fed the ball to Kupp regardless of coverage and it work so fair play. They went with their best weapon and he came through, delighted for him.

Thought it would be close, thought the rams would get it done in the end pre game but at one point I thought it was in the bag for the Bengals when they went jumbo and started protecting the QB and taking it out of his hands a little and the rams could get nothing going

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

You see you just pointed out how the game was being officiated. They weren't calling lots of stuff, Ramsey could have been called a couple of times for holding and pi but the officials weren't calling it.

The defensive holding call went completely against how the game was being officiated. That's what I'm pointing out.

It's funny how you start out by asking how people can't talk about a game without bringing up officials helping a team and then you go complaining about the Higgins/Ramsey incident. Hypocritical much?

LA Rams

I'm not complaining about any decision. Those two were questionable and both had a significant impact on the game.

I was just pointing out that I don't know how you could talk about the Rams getting the decisions when they had a clear one go against them.

What gave you the impression I was 'complaining' about anything?

And you just pointed out again that these type of plays were not being flagged by the officials until right at the end of the game.

Both teams got the same treatment until right at the end when they called the defensive holding.

Now do you understand my point?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Will this Sofi stadium be the venue for World Cup final in 2026?? Or will it be in Rose Bowl, New York or even unlikely Azteca in Mexico City?? Need to be prepared.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

LA Rams

This is off topic for a super bowl thread on the American Football forum, please ask your question on the soccer forum

Advertisement