Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cost of furnishing a new build

• 12-02-2022 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi all,

The last topic for this was a few years ago so wondering if costs have changed. I am moving into a 2 bed house in 2 months (new build) and wondering how much ppl spent on furnishing the house. I understand prices will vary depending on tastes etc but hoping to try get a rough idea. I have thought 15k for furniture and flooring would be ok. I am now thinking that is not enough at all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Remember not everything has to be done at once.

get the floors down, get blinds/windows covered for privacy, ensure you have a bed, a sofa, a cooker and everything else comes after.

not sure if items have drastically gone up in price (maybe a few percent for inflation) but labour has gone through the roof and there’s a pent up demand meaning you might have to wait longer to get trades people to do stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

15k to get in would be more than fine. If you buy the basics at first you can get great deals on things like tables, dining chairs, chests of drawers etc. on adverts with a bit of patience. Though it depends if you like furniture with a bit more history/character. You’re better off not buying all at once anyway because you may realise some of the room layouts you imagined at first don’t work for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭ongarite

A lot will depend on your flooring choice IMO.

Tile flooring, especially large ones which are in fashion now, will be costly as labour is in short supply and they require more care to install. Around €30m2 for tiler.

Wood laminate flooring has gone up in price too but usually you buy from shop with install as part of deal.

Carpets around €30m2 fitted for good quality product.

Furniture is totally down to taste and your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

Furniture and appliances (except oven, fridge and washing machine) for a 3 bed semi cost me 2k.

I got lots of freebies on the likes of adverts. I'll replace them whenever they wear out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

It all depends if you want to keep up with the Jones’s or not. Keep it tight and do bare minimum and pick up used furniture etc it’s well doable.

• Advertisement

the two things above that are 100% relevant are not to try have it all done at once and that if budget is a worry, grab all the freebies and second hand cheap stuff you can live with for now

you'll have years to get the quality stuff when it's not such a pressure for you money wise

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

I take it that the kitchen including appliances is already included. If yes then €15k is definitely sufficient. You can save a lot of money if you choose laminate and PVC flooring instead of getting wooden floors, tiles or expensive carpets.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Ciara26

thanks everyone, the €15k in my mind is for Flooring for the house, kitchen appliances, kitchen table, 1 bed, sofa and tv. To me they are the items I need to live there. Like everyone else says, the rest will come in time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,234 ✭✭✭✭fits

If it were me I’d invest in the flooring and kitchen appliances and if that stretched the budget get everything else second hand. I’m currently sitting on a lovely finline couch that we picked up for free on adverts over three years ago. We will replace it eventually but it’s lovely for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

You wmt need 15k if you don't want to spend 15k. If you have the money and want to get nice stuff go for it. There are adddionals you can do early that cost big money.

Example. We're in 2 years and just getting to the sitting room in earnest. Rug 800, electric stove 500, armchair 600, sideboard 500, massive tv 600, lamp 200.

All of these things are superfluous. We were happy out for first 2 years without them.

Ours is bigger than yours so yours should come in cheaper. Decent flooring 5k, shutters and blinds 2k. We've spent about 300 on curtains but nowhere near done after 2 years. Brother just bought 2 couches say 1200.

So say 8500 for the "essentials" and you could easily go second hand on couches.

White goods, included or not, if you don't know ask.

Fridge, freezer, washine machine. I'd buy new. Dryer - second hand. Bed and mattress. Assuming you've wardrobes built in.

Up at 10k. But again that flooring be good bit cheaper in smaller house. So 8500 or 9000. Secondhand couch. 8000. White goods included. 7500.

Or do a detailed plan and blow the 15 but spend big where you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Just realized I completely left out tiling. Bit surly a new build is tiled. Ours was

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Most expensive appliances aren't worth it , I've a thousand euro dishwasher and one half that price would have done.

If you don't have to pay someone to put down the laminate flooring, 15k should still cover all without going second hand or cheap to the point of nasty, it's a small house so

Master bedroom bed + mattress = circa 1500 ( good mattress is a grand)

Spare bedroom = bed and mattress = 1000 in total

Lockers × 4 = 500 euro, could get those second hand

Chest of drawers = 1000 for two new ones and those would be good ones

Presume you have built in wardrobes?

Living room = couch suite or corner couch = 1800 for a perfectly good one in EZ living

Coffee table = 300 for a nice one

Tv = 500

You can buy other living room furniture later

Kitchen = 750 for table and chairs, that would get you a real nice one

Appliances

Dishwasher = 500

Oven - cooking appliances = 1000

Washing machine = 500

Dryer = 250 for a vented one

Few figures and I personally could buy nice albeit not fancy for the above brand new excluding bedside lockers

That's under 9 k ,10 k would get you all of the above brand new ,just leaves 5 k for the laminate flooring, for a small house, even today you should be able to afford a guy to fit for 5k after buying the materials

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I'd agree with most of that but I do think there is an argument for getting the best quality washing machine you can. It might end up being used daily more than once, especially if you have kids. We paid a bit more than 1000 for ours, and although it will probably spontaneously combust the minute I write this, 10 years of relatively heavy usage in and it hasn't missed a beat.

Dishwasher I'm in two minds about - we also payed close to 1000 at the time, and while like with the washing machine, it hasn't missed a beat, a cheaper one might just as well have lasted just as long.

If you’re buying appliances, a month or two membership of Which is well worth it. Just make sure you cancel your membership afterwards.

I paid a grand for a Siemens dishwasher five years ago , It was far too much to spend ,full of software settings I never use , a grand is too much to spend on a washing machine as well ( if working from a budget ) , current washing machine I have is a Bosch and I paid 490 for it in 2013 , still works perfect , same one probably can be got for under 600 today

dont go too cheap for appliances OP however , we bought a BEKO tall fridge and freezer three years ago , neither are great despite the alleged improvement in the quality of BEKO , I knew they were still budget and the finish is fine now but the little things stick out , we paid 800 for the two of them and they are six foot tall

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you really need a sofa?

You definitely need a chair, and a table.

Also factor in delph/crockery (1 each of cup, plate, knife, fork,spoon - in whatever variations you think usually need).

Cooking utensils (pot and pans,serving spoon, Kitchen knife, etc - what you depends on what you eat). Tea towels.

Drying rack, pegs, iron, ironing board.

Toothbrush and shampoo holder. Brush for cleaning the loo. Scrubbing brush for the shower.

Vacuum cleaner or ar least a boom. Rubbish bins for the kitchen and bathroom.

And likely more, depending on what you feel you need to live.

All this stuff is small, but adds up really quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Ciara26

thanks, yes I do want a sofa as I will want lay down with my dog watching tv. Saying that, Its something I could get second hand one, As some one said depends if you want to be keeping with the jones. I do not. I just want a nice livable house (as the dog will destroy anything nice :) )

Since I paid the deposit, I have allowed myself to buy 1 item a week for the new house. So the likes of plates one week to last week I bought a towels. It wont cover all the small items I need but will help on move in day and keeps my mind on the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Michael Guineys are great for homewares

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

All that small stuff listed above is cheap as chips in Ikea, e.g. they have a €1 toilet brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If your not doing the labour yourself atleast 5k for flooring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

10k more realistic. Average carpenter is on €60-€80 a hour self employed. You’re not hiring a Lidl check out person.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭rob316

• Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

As you are starting out I would highly recommend Adverts. Don't look at it as 2nd hand. There is a lot of quality stuff out there that you couldn't afford new. Nothing stays new. It is taste dependent but you would be amazed the amount of new goods at knock down prices due to over stock. Get tools, no matter it is a new build you will need tools. Good hammer drill is vital as is a good screw driver set. You will pick up this stuff for less than half price on Adverts and free too.

I know "brown" furniture is not popular but I got a 150 year old rosewood wardrobe that was hand carved for less than an Ikea wardrobe. It seems like madness to me but I get the taste issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

My dining table and chairs came from adverts and donedeal. I've 2 sideboards that I got from adverts and painted, similar with a light fitting. My mirror over the stove also second hand as are the dryer and the ikea units in the bedrooms. Doesn't bother me in the slightest that they weren't new. In fact when things get damaged or marked by the 3 boys and dog that live in my house, I don't sweat it like I might had I paid a fortune for them.

My first house we got everything new immediately which was a mistake, pretty soon I wished I'd got different stuff. Now I'll get new if I can't find something suitable second hand. Good to reuse and recycle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭iguy

5500k it cost me to furnish the kitchen, sitting room, the master bedroom, and there is a box room that I put a bunk bed with double bottom in with a locker, chest of drawers plus TV for visitors, all the furniture was 2nd hand(mattresses I bought new 900, 550 for my bed 350 for the bottom bunk and the supplier threw in the top single mattress for free as it was standard, ex display, and it's not necessarily the most comfortable mattress either, the actual cost price was 80 euro, but it does the job)

I paid 2475 for appliances (electric cooker, washing machine, tall fridge, tall freezer, kettle, toaster, hoover, iron all bought in one store, actual value of goods were 3100 before reductions made and most were already on sale, it pays to shop around and buy in bulk) microwave and dryer were bought second hand for 80 euro, 3 televisions, smart TVs, 3 for 320, second hand with 30 months warranty from a place that sells pre-owned stuff,

Furniture for both the kitchen and sitting room(including a grand office desk) were bought through various sellers in FB marketplace, including a shelving unit that I put at the bottom of my stairs to put the broadband and home phone on, amongst other things, it's holds all sorts lol, toolbox, unopened boxes of trinkets, goodness knows what else.

Kitchen furniture includes, table with 4 chairs, movable island, 3 stand alone cabinets/sideboards (lack of actual kitchen cabinets, cheapest option at the time, I've lived here six years now, and I just recently acquired a second hand kitchen that suits my needs for 500 euro, but the missus likes the setup as it is and new units are in the shed gathering dust lol )

Sitting room furniture including the office desk, 2 two seaters, and two recliner armchairs, coffee table, TV unit, sideboard, tall narrow shelving unit, bookcase, and cabinet,

now I must add nothing matches, different types of wood, finishing etc, but we like it, we keep meaning to paint stuff to make the furniture unified, but as we discussed it'll take the character away from our home, and everything works, we keep looking at stuff on marketplace, adverts, pre-owned furniture places etc, thinking we could swap stuff out, but as I say we are happy with it all, nothing has ever given us trouble, bar one of the TV's decides to freeze and turn itself on and off randomly about once a week,

The upstairs of our house already had solid pine flooring, so we got a chap in to sand them down, treat and seal then at a cost of 475 euro, downstairs we put a different lino down in the kitchen, hallway and sitting room, there was already some form of hard plastic grey tiles down, we didn't want to go through the hardship of pulling those up, so that's why we chose lino(although wooden flooring could have been put down over them), we put it down ourselves and it roughly cost 500 euro for the material, it good stuff near 6 years down and not a mark or no fade,

The other half likes net curtains, so all the rooms bar the bathrooms and kitchen got net curtains, 120 euro for nets and materials, put them up myself, then those six rooms got regular, blackout curtains, total cost including railings, curtains and materials 250 euro, put up myself,

kitchen got a Venetian blind, 75 euro supplied and installed, as the bathrooms have privacy glass we didn't bother putting anything in those windows,

Spent less than 150 getting the bathroom up to scratch including a cabinet with mirror, a few shelves, etc,

Probably another 300 or thereabouts spent on cutlery, plates, pots and pans,

So including the initial 5500k I mentioned at the beginning of my post, 2k approximately that was spent on the bathroom, curtains, blinds, flooring, etc it cost us 7500 euro (that doesn't include the 500 I spent on those kitchen units recently) all in, I know we saved money by doing some labour ourselves, I don't know, probably saved ourselves 2500k ,

We have 2 other rooms(double bedroom and utility/sunroom), that we managed to kit out for 1000 euro, so that brings the total to just under 11k, including all the savings ,

So your 15k is actually a realistic figure, Preloved furniture, etc can be a lot better than the flat pack cheap stuff out there nowadays, I'll admit the unit I mentioned that's in our hallway is a flat pack type of furniture, it's the most unsteady piece we have, there is always a screw coming loose or something needs to be popped back into place lol, but everything else we acquired is proper carpentry made furniture,

Also like I mentioned when it comes to white goods just shop around and get the best prices, don't do it online go to a physical store, have a chat with a salesperson, tell then what you need and that your budget is whatever, in our case I pitted two stores against one another, told them that one store was offering the goods at a certain price and then they came down in price, going with the store that offered me the best deal, including warranties, etc... As I said though our stuff is a mix and match, but if you look hard enough on second hand sites or second hand stores you could and can find matching furniture...

Best of luck on your endeavours and your new home...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

15 k should be more than enough. I didn’t tot up my final spend as it was over an extended period of time but I don’t think it was more than 15k.

As a dog owner myself, I would definitely go 2nd hand for the couches. You won’t worry so much when the dog gets mucky paws or drool over it.

I got lovely stuff on Facebook marketplace. My son actually helped me source a lot of it. I got a dresser/bed frame/lockers for 200 euro. Would have cost 1500 new in ez living. I spent more on a decent mattress.

An area I wouldn’t scrimp on flooring, it’s something that you will have to live with for a long time. I went tiles downstairs/bathrooms and laminate upstairs/bedrooms.

I got a lot of my appliances in currys, found them to be the cheapest. Harvey Norman fairly competitive too.

Ring around for a few quotes if you are going for blinds. There was a difference of nearly 40 percent between the most expensive and cheapest quote for the exact same blinds!

If you are handy with a sewing machine there are some fabric outlet centres where you can get curtain fabric for 5 euro a metre!

I think IKEA couches are great if you have kids/pets because you can wash and replace the covers for most of them. Even if the particular model gets discontinued there are third party companies that make covers for all the old models.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭babyducklings1

Like others here have said get good flooring, also in colours you like and hard wearing flooring especially in hall/ areas with higher foot fall. You have to really like your flooring as it’s what you see everyday and it’s not the easiest thing to change, I’d also say get a good tv , a good brand, factor in a wall bracket or tv unit and pitch the size of the screen to your room and viewing distance.

When buying appliances maybe look at ber rating, and pick an a or b, one, bought a normende dishwasher about a year ago with an A rating and is very good and economical to run considering it’s going at least once a day.

You won’t get it all perfect at the first go so wouldn’t blow the whole budget. You have to be living in a house for a while to get a feel for what you really need. Don’t rush it, or feel under pressure to get it all right. Good luck it will come right 👍

Not against second hand but if they have a 15 k budget, they don't need to as perfectly fine new stuff available for what's available budget wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I don't think anybody said they need to buy 2nd hand just that it is a very good idea to save money. You can pick up something 2nd hand that is way superior to what they can afford new or something as good as new for less money which is a good thing on any budget. I don't know about you but I like a bargain and would like to do things with best quality for the money. Adverts also isn't just 2nd hand, lots of over stock which is new but half the price. A little more effort but time is money

Advertisement