Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of work with covid

• 11-02-2022 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

How long do most people need to take off work with covid these days? If working remotely I mean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Most people? Working remotely? I would say the answer is "nothing". "Most people" getting covid these days are getting a slight sniffle. A few are getting a bad dose, but "most" are perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If remotely means working from home - then it depends if you can work in the part of the house you are self isolating in.

If you can, and your symptoms are mild, then likely no time at all.

Otherwise, take your doctor's advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

7 days isnt it for self isolation - that means no work (in person or remotely). Longer is symptoms persist. Take the time and follow medical advice. Work can wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Really? Even if you only have mild symptoms (as most do)? I would take as much time as you need - most people working remotely can continue to work without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

What's the issue with working remotely while self-isolating, if you can do it with no issue and are well enough???

• Advertisement

It's funny, I'd normally miss a day or two a year - waking up with a bad head-cold or whatever - and call in sick, but I haven't taken one similar day off since Mar 2020 (WFH), despite feeling a bit crap a couple of times.

I suppose you could not work for the 7 days, it depends on your symptoms and your relationship with your manager I suppose. Some might regard it as taking the p*ss, particularly if there were any issues with cover etc.

it would be an issue in my workplace - if you are unfit to work thats it. no ambiguity around it. Its part of our covid policy and remote working policy thats all. Take the leave and come back when you are better - in person or remote.

If you have a choice personally I would take the leave. Covid is sneaky and can catch you off guard. Yes self isolating is the shite but just chill for a few days.

sorry I mean it is 7 days self isolation - i.e. stay in your home but longer if symptoms persist. 3 days after that you still need to be careful.

The issue would be your employer I would think. Your health is always priority over work - work can wait.

Also why would you want to. Mind yourself and rest. Seek medical advice if unsure but you are not expected to work.

Covid doesn't automatically render you unfit for work, though. If you're sick with it, yeah, absolutely take the time off and stay in bed but if you feel fine/well enough to work then I don't see the issue continuing to work remotely while self-isolating. Certainly several of my colleagues have done so.

Because many people have mild or no symptoms! They are well able to work. And they to have to self-isolate, which means stay in a room and avoid all contact with other people who live in the same house. Many find the boredom of sitting alone with nothing to do is the worse aspect. At least working remotely would fill the time.

Really, it comes down to a doctor's decision, not workplace policy. If a doctor says you are fit to work, then you are fit.

• Advertisement

it does for us - and unfit for work doesnt relate to how I feel. It is medically unfit.

I wouldnt like an employer to pressurise staff though regardless of inperson or remote. Yes self isolation is boring but your health is more important. We do get paid sick pay which is hugely important - if you dont thats a huge factor in your decision.

Yeah agree with that. The only sick leave I have taken over the last 2 years is for covid despite chest infection and a couple of broken toes 😂 which is great.

whats interesting is that some employers may expect employees to continue to work remotely despite being covid+. If you have a choice fine but an employer cant insist if you are unwell - sick is sick.

I do get sick pay. But a positive Covid PCR doesn't automatically render you unfit for work and I'd find it really odd that any company would implement such a policy. I know loads of people who tested positive and never even saw their doctors, so who exactly is deeming them medically unfit for work???

Believe me, I'm not one of those "work unless you're bleeding out of every orifice" types, I had to take two days off sick after my booster. But I'm just really struggling to understand why any employer with a remote workforce would take a unilateral "Covid = unfit to work" line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭KaneToad

The doctor doesn't play any role in this. Unless you want a consultation to prove you're fit to work?? It's the individuals decision.

As an aside, I would have a world of sympathy for someone who feels boredom if they are not working for their employer.

Covid can start as a sniffle but there are other symptoms such as headache ,sore throat and face flushing.please don't pass it off as a sniffle.you will feel unwell make no mistake about that.

ok well you dont need to understand it. At the time I got covid we had to produce a sick cert aswell as PCR confirmation - thats changed now.

I think the understanding for us it that we can be required to be in the office/on site at any time. We arent fully remote. When I caught covid I hadnt been in the office for over a year. Workplaces are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭VG31

There's no one size fits all. Some people may start with a sniffle and get worse but for others it will just be a sniffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,207 ✭✭✭✭fits

I took 6 days recently and needed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Marymoore

Thanks everyone I’m just worried as I feel genuinely awful and fluey but I’m afraid they’ll think I’m milking it because most people don’t take many days off at all

i also have to call my boss every day and it’s hard to say something different everyday anyway maybe won’t have to call again if I hurry up and improve

Some people can work again very soon - but some cannot.

If you do feel sick, then don't rush it. Post viral syndromes like "long Covid" have been around for a long time and are known to be nasty.

Get a phone appt with your GP, explain that calling work daily is stressful, and hopefully they'll sign you off for a week at once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Not true..I can be self isolating in bed if I don't feel well enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have covid atm and am working remotely, I took an hour of sick leave the day after I tested positive as I felt terrible that morning, aches and pains all over and could not get out of bed. Once I got painkillers into me I was happy to work as I was gonna be sat at the laptop all day anyway. By that evening I felt pretty normal, just mild sore throat and sniffle

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭GSBellew

I didn't take any time off for either dose or the booster, back to work after them, I tested positive after a one of our children was positive after being a close contact in school, absolutely hit me, was in bed all day everyday for several days, there was no way I could have functioned "in work"

As you yourself effectively self certified yourself as unfit for 2 days after a booster I find it odd you are seeing an issue with someone with Covid certifying themselves as unable to work.

Once again for the cheap seats: I have absolutely zero issue with anyone who has Covid and is feeling sick from it taking time off work. None at all. What I find puzzling is somebody's employer automatically certifying them as unfit for work due to Covid, even if they're completely asymptotic, which is what Gauchesnell was suggesting happens in his job.

Advertisement