Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 4x08 - 'All In ' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

• 10-02-2022 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Discovery 4x08 - 'All In ' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Warning: This thread will contain spoilers for the episode. Spoiler tags will not be used, so if you don't want to be spoiled read no further.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

The new changeling effect is fantastic, and it's great to see that they were more restrained with the look than the new Klingons!

I somewhat enjoyed that episode more than any other this season. It was grand, nothing spectacular but a bit more interesting. I'll even overlook the convenience of Burnham and Book running into each other on the exact same planet within hours of each other. I do wonder if the surprise mid season break might have been to adjust the weaker parts of the earlier episodes.

By far the weakest part of the whole episode was the poker. SMG's "bluffing" was absolutely atrocious, and even to somone who is far less than a seasoned poker player I would have to assume that their tells to one another would be obvious a mile bloody off! Bu poker was in TNG and people liked it there so....

I'm a bit happier with the DMA now that it appears to be the Omega partical, or Omega adjacent. Somewhat more interested to see where it goes. Less interested in exploring Culbers breakdown. We've done this, so many times, with so many other characters (including Culber), and it goes no where interesting. It's there for an episode or two and vanishes.

Edit: One niggling thing, more related to the last episode, but I thought of during the recap. If the new spore drive can just be dumped on a console, and a brand new engine can just be added to the ship (with magic space magic matter), why do they need to construct ships? Surely if something as complex as an engine can be just plopped in then you should be able to essentially not bother constructing ships and plop a load of the matter on the ground and go "Make me a spaceship", since presumably the engine is the most complex part?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

We're being dredged! DREDGED!!

Really want to know more about who these 10Cs are.

I could see that boxing hustle a mile away! 😁 Owosekun sure had a swole cheek afterwards though!

The split between Book and Burnham seems to be meaningful. Like I could see them somehow getting back together if things go ok but.. it feels for now, at least, that Burnham was drawing a line.

Oh.. and it felt wierd seeing Hugh having a go at the DOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭eadrom

Ach, no. Not my episode. I really don't like Booke or Burnham, or the cliché sci-fi gambling den.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That wasn't a terrible episode, wasn't great but at least there was some substance to it that made it feel a bit more like old Trek

Only problem with these short season single arc seasons is the bigger story is just a thin strand throughout the season, unlike days of old when you could have random episodes that were entertaining but meant nothing in the grand scheme of things in a 24 episode season. So looking forward to Strange New Worlds which I hope goes back to the original format and we just have a weekly episode and when there is a great one you will go back and watch it multiple times

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It felt fairly bland, and a bit of a chore. And ultimately 95% of the episode counts for nothing, with only 30 seconds at the end actually advancing the story. The larger story arc isn't getting the focus or content it needs, which is a shame as it seems like it could be an interesting concept for this one. But the individual episodes don't have any substance as standalones either. I'm still preferring it to season 3, as it's not actively annoying me as much as that did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭liamtech

Reasonable enough compared to the rest of this season - not gonna complain much hopefully it stays this way - not great compared to the franchise as a whole - as SFDEBRIS always says - scores are relative to their series - so for me this is a 6/10 for Disco - 3/10 for the franchise as a whole (IMHO)

One thing is puzzling me - im wondering if anyone else noticed - when it first becomes apparent that there is a Changeling involved - the scene where he passes by a bulkhead - did anyone else notice that the human he morphs into - looks VERY familiar? Have a look 30:40-30:45

Does that not remind you of someone??????

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

hahaha - maybe

TBH for a moment i thought it looked like Lorca - but no one else seemed to think so

probably true - TBH bringing a changeling in - i really hope this is connected somewhere to the main events - and not just deliberate miss direction of fans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭eadrom

I wasn't reading anything into the changeling's presence tbh. Just a background character and plot device for thatmoment, I'll be surprised if we see them again.

Post edited by eadrom on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I was bored mostly. Felt like the episode went on forever but not in a good way.

Owosekun fighting was cringey. And Burnham standing at ringside shouting like she’s promoting the fight was double cringe.

The coincidence of them finding each other was silly and the contrived situation with the poker game was nonsense. Burnham as a character is awful and SMG is a terrible actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

It annoyed me that when Stamets admitted he was stressed he then cited how "badly" he handled the incident with Zora. This is the show (writers) explicitly saying that Stamets fear over a starship computer developing emotions was wrong. It couldn't just be that Stamets had a difference of opinion with the rest of the crew - it had to point out that he had the wrong opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I missed that part. That's really annoying. Honestly, I thought he was the only one with any common sense in that whole episode.

Advertisement