Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bike Storage Solution

• 14-12-2021 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭

I know there was a recent discussion on this, but can't seem to find it. Just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this.

I came across the bike storage below, while out for a walk recently. In two minds about it, as I know people need somewhere to keep their bikes, but I also think this one is pretty ugly. The house is a protected structure, so planning should definitely have been applied for ahead of putting down the concrete slab and bike store. Easy access to the rear of the property as well, but it would be dark at night, which might be an issue.

To be honest, if it was me, I'd have built a more bespoke storage solution that didn't stick out as much, and detract from the houses on the road.

They have applied for retention, which I think may have come as a result of complaints from neighbours. Or maybe that's just the way the wanted to apply. Ask for forgiveness, rather than permission in the first place!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

I think it's ugly as sin, but if the owner's happy, no skin off my nose

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bloody stupid idea too, announcing that it's a bike shelter that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

The great thing here is that the owners have made the right decision for their property.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

bike safety storage with a giant picture telling everyone theres bikes inside. dumb as sin as well as ugly as sin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

No more or less ugly than the bins outside, and I'm guessing there are dozens of cars parked on footpaths outside each house which certainly clash with the period-correct nature of the "protected structure".

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's a little ugly but I'd see it as a temp structure and no more or less ugly then bloody wheelie bins

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

There's a house not too far from it, and they have a bike store that's bespoke, made from corten steel, with planting on top. Similar style of houses but the solution looks so much better.

I've seen wooden ones built that also look better.

That plastic one is just really ugly.

I completely agree on the wheelie bins, which is why I like to see them tidied away in bin stores as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

Just wait for 5 years from now when there are EV charging cables strewn all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Christ that's an absolute eyesore alright, the material it's made from looks like a giant wheelie bin! There are far more elegant solutions they could have gone for - you'd imagine someone who owned a house of that stature would like to put in something less garish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There's going to be so many bloody cables across footpaths from houses its not even going to be funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Personally I'd have something nicer and less obvious. I imagine it's fairly difficult to have something big enough for multiple bikes, secure and durable without being noticeable.

No issues with it personally as it's none of my business and not my property. I guarantee there's a lot more people in the area neglecting their weeds/bushes and paths and driveways desperately in need a pressure wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Is that not just a giant moisture trap?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

This thread is ridiculous. Why bring bins, EV cables and cable cutters into it (including links to cable cutters). It’s bike storage outside a house. Live and let live….

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It would take a very small bit of planting to make that blend in. It's a simple, straightforward solution that will probably outlast the bespoke solutions and is no more an eyesore than a car in a driveway

It's made of plastic, so there's a good chance of it will last a long time. But so would brick, similar to what the houses are built from.

Planting would made it blend in, but is that even something that can be enforced by planning?

Application makes a lot of sense to be honest. And at least the ugliness will be hidden by planting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Ignorance of the (planning) laws is no excuse. It's a gross looking thing and IMHO does detract from the attractiveness of the house an surrounds. Hard to believe upgrading the security of the garage and even installing an external light wouldn't have been a more economic and attractive solution.

• Advertisement

I disagree. It's absolutely no uglier than the copious amounts of cars parked in front of the houses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

The logic of that is that anything is permissable once there is on-street parking!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Or that the ugliness of anything outside of a property has any bearing on permission for an item within the property.

'I don't like the look of this extension as it goes against the aesthetic of all the houses on the road.. but it's no uglier than that old man standing on the street outside the house - APPROVED'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

Not commenting on the green yoke in picture, but if I were compelled to find a bike storage solution in the front lawn - I would dig into the ground - 2m long, a meter wide, and deep enough to take a bike or two. Concrete the sides with some 6 inches sticking out of the ground and put a solid lid and nice lock to secure the lot. May attract grave robbers, but it will make an awesome prop for Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

In fairness, cars are everywhere so they don't 'stick out' as such. If that plastic storage shell was in each front garden, it would probably not look as bad. I certainly wouldn't be impressed if I lived next door. (Nor would I like to live beside someone who stores a boat or caravan at the front of their house).

It seems to have caught the attention of the Sunday Times. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/city-puts-brakes-on-undesirable-bicycle-shed-wfdt968qw

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

seems to have received the attention of some councillors too, i saw a comment that they fully intend to address this.

as was pointed out on twitter, you could buy a secondhand transit and park it in your driveway for use as a bike shelter and the council wouldn't blink an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

place we were staying in in Belgium recently had one of these in the front garden - great yoke, designed for 4 bikes but you'd fit 6 at a squeeze.

Just had a walk around the road. So many other issues with cars and bins. Yet this is what they clamp down on. One house has two car entrances on either side, and two cars parked in them.

The one house that lodged an observation to the planning retention has their bins right beside their front gate, nothing obscuring them at all.

• Advertisement

I wonder who lives in no. 34 as that extension doesn't exactly fit in with anything else on the road, or at least the windows dont, nor has any sort of planning application unless it's a quite old extension.

Non native palm trees and bamboo cause more "visual clutter" imo

Advertisement