Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Micro generation announcement

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

ummm. areu saying the formula will stay the same? even though its post grant?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If it can stay at 1k per kwp it would be good, might be a bit easier to hit as a battery won't be needed to get the extra grant for panels.

Adding/removing batteries will infulence the quote a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

guess we have to keep an eye on it next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I have an excellent stream in my farm mountainous property for Micro generation of Hydro electricity that I am going to build and develop this year as a form of off farm income and diversification away from farming.

My understanding is that this offering from ESBN is for inverter connected generators only, and that It does not apply to synchronous or asynchronous generators which is what hydro generators use I have been advised. I am not familiar with any of these types of technology but in my own albeit limited knowledge is an inverter connected generator some thing like this?

Renewable power source wind/solar generating DC current and charging a massive battery bank which is then slowly discharging back via an inverter pumping out AC into the grid? With the battery bank acting as local storage to account for the variability of solar or wind generation which can be a feast or a famine. This is my interpretation of the meaning; maybe I am totally wrong? I don't have much electrical knowledge.

My potential hydro scheme with a 100m downhill flow is capable of 24/7 365 operation and is rated for between 6 to 15kw depending on the money I'm willing to spend for the diameter pipe to carry the abundant water downhill, as it could be a nice income stream I'm prepared to go for a 15kw system. There is a constant water supply even in drought times like 2018 with virgin untouched blanket bog always capturing the heavy rain and releasing it slowly like a sponge, rainfall is abundant and getting more plentiful. This will always be on and generating unlike solar and wind which are at the mercy of the elements.

I'm sure that it could be possible to connect to the grid with an asynchronous generator with a certified controller but if anyone could advise on what tariffs apply and what hoops have to be jumped through.

I also have an old 100+ years farmhouse of stone construction (typical board of works 1900 house) which I am going to totally gut out & renovate and extend aimed at the rental market, yesterdays host of insulation grants and heat pumps etc. may also tie in with the micro-generation scheme. The house itself is like an icebox and will need significant investment but again is something I am willing to do to diversify. If we had a sane planning system I'd demolish it and rebuild it but no planning will be granted in the area due to environmental concerns so its a case of working with what you have unfortunately.

If anyone could advise on how to get the micro-generation project going I'd like to hear from you.

Advertisement