Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MIPS or non-MIPS helmet?

• 08-02-2022 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

I want to get a new helmet (Lazer Blade+). It comes in a MIPS and a non-MIPS version. Is there any reason not to get the MIPS version? Do MIPS liners get sweaty, scratchy or otherwise uncomfortable?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a MIPS helmet - bought it because of the fit, rather than it being MIPS. i don't think i find it noticeably more or less sweaty than the previous helmet (same brand) it replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

Agree with this. Similarly I have a MIPS helmet simply because it fit me better than the non-MIPS version. There wasn't much in it to be fair, I could easily have worn the other, it was just a tiny, tiny bit more comfortable, and the price difference was very small. I've never noticed any difference between MIPS and non-MIPS in terms of being sweaty or (un)comfortable with previous helmets.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

From reviews i saw MIPS for a fullface helmet was that more uncomfortable than regular andwas about 30E more expensive. might be more fiddly than a normal one which would annoy me. Suprisingly some expensive helmets dont use that magnetic clip "Fidlock". For me thats an absolute must.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

MIPS is old hat, its all ARM and RISC-V now

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭ARX

Thanks everyone, in particular to Ubbquittious for a joke I'd be proud to call my own 😂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we're talking helmets, not hats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,264 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I've got a giroMIPS helmet with a mips liner, airflow through it is severely compromised so winter only. I have a newer one with an integrated mips which is my summer helmet.

no idea if it's any use.

mtb helmet doesn't have mips

Advertisement