Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A planning system that allows people to submit observations to a development does not make it dysfunctional. A planning appeals body that approves developments that contravene existing legislation or government commitments is what makes it dysfunctional.

This road will not do what it is being proclaimed to do and as such is a massive waste of money. At this stage building a road that ABP say is "likely to result in a significant negative impact on carbon emissions and climate that will not be fully mitigated" cannot be excused.

It will have little to no impact on Galway's already congested roads. The only way to reduce the volume of traffic around gGalway is to reduce the number of people making the choice to drive. A new road will simply only encourage more people to drive. Every new road built around the world has shown that!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

The Galway Ring Road is a core government policy at local and national level, the lynchpin of the Galway Transport Strategy, and a key part of the National Development Strategy. A planning system that cannot give the final okay to such an important infrastructure project in reasonable time, and whose approval is then routinely suspended for years on end to allow NIMBYs to argue on points of law which are utterly irrelevant to the merits of the project is indeed dysfunctional, and denial of this simple fact is what is costing this country housing, business, and industrial development on a daily basis.

The government's reforms to the planning system can't come fast enough.

Thankfully the courts disagree with you

The government's reforms to the planning system can't come fast enough.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. They've already had a fair few shots across their bow in terms of how limited any changes can be. Step outside those limits and they've already been told the EU will challenge them in court, as well as challenges from any number of local groups and people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Everyone,no matter their opinion on the need for this road, knew a JR was inevitable from the day the preferred scheme was announced. The Galway Transport Strategy relying entirely on this road being built was stupidity on the part of those who prepared the strategy. The JR only freezes the Galway Transport Strategy because the strategy is so reliant on one very wobbly project. Any half decent strategy isn't based around a single point of failure with a certainty of delay and high probability of failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Just like there is no realistic solution for Ireland's hospital waiting list problem that doesn't include building more hospitals, there is no realistic solution for Galway's transport problems that does not include building the ring road. It's a bit sad that some people seem so blinded by their beliefs that they cannot accept this simple fact, to the point that they are willing to condemn the people of Galway to years of pointless delays rather than admit that they are wrong and the road really is needed.

Hand-waving claims about public transport magically solving these problems without any new roads are all well and good, but they simply aren't based in reality.

Like I said, I don't live in Galway, and delays to investment in Galway are probably good for investments around me, but I still feel bad for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Disappointing also to see in a world of democratic backsliding that the Green Party seem to disagree with democracy. Candidates of parties supporting the Ring Road got over 50% of FPVs in the last election (I counted enough to get over 50 - O Cuiv, Naughten, Grealish, Kyne & Crowe). This is national and local Government policy with widespread support. I’d like to see the reaction if other TDs took judicial reviews against cycle lanes and called such projects “vandalism” in the Dail just because they don’t like them.

This JR has been taken by FIE not O'Reilly. Also, there's been plenty of public representatives who have taken JR's.

Also, we have to build a road because.....democracy, give me a break lol

We'll have to wait and see what happens but this is very likely to go the way of the previous case (hopefully) given the strengthening of environmental requirements since the previous case.

I actually recall posting in this thread back when that case was ongoing, I was furious at the outcome at the time.

Since then I've learned a lot and have come to realise the astounding stupidity of this road and how it will have a colossal detrimental effect on Galway for decades if its built.

People keep saying "build the road, then sort out the other modes". Problem with this option is it locks in car primacy.

I say "sort out the other modes first, then see if we still need the road". My guess is it won't be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The flaws of that hospital analogy have already been pointed out to you; more hospitals don't create more sisk/injured people and there are plenty of initiatives to reduce hospital waiting lists which don't involve building hospitals by improving the general health of the population.

Some level of new road building will almost certainly have to be part of the solution for Galway. The fallacy is that the proposed road is designed entirely to accommodate commuters and with no consideration whatsoever for public/active transport. Hand-waving claims about a ring road magically solving these problems without any new public/active transport are all well and good, but they simply aren't based in reality.

It has been obvious from the beginning that this approach was going to run into difficulties (not least around government policy in relation to transport and climate change and their direction of travel). To build a transport strategy around a single road (one with limited chance of being built) was stupid in the extreme. The inevitable has happened and the ring road won't be delivered until the end the decade, if ever, and Galway is condemned to enormous congestion for many more years because, as things stand, very little can happen in the meantime. Your whinging that "some people seem so blinded by their beliefs that they cannot accept this simple fact" is truly hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I would be more worried about your understanding of Democracy after reading this.

The JR is been taken on a point of the GCRR been in line with National Policy.

Why are you looking at candidates from the previous election?

Why not count the current Galway West TD's, 2/5 are in the current Government who are responsible for this Policy been adopted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I'm sure you are a good fellow and that you work hard for your family, but I think that many people will find this insufficient justification for spending €1bn on a road project.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I have a perfectly good understanding of democracy. This seems to be a reasonably popular proposal in Galway, a majority of the votes in the last election went to candidates representing parties who were behind the scheme. If this was a deeply unpopular scheme in Galway, you can be sure that the candidates would have rowed in against it if they thought there was votes in it, like housing SHDs, or the M28 in Cork for example.

You are right about the democratic right to object to such projects. The real solution here is adequate resourcing of the courts to deal with these matters in a quick manner. The M28 spent 2.5 years in the courts and in the end the project was found to have no faults.

Is this the Climate Act you reference that 2/5 of the constituency’s TDs voted for?

And its only a 18km road project at that. This to me is the bigger hurdle rather than the JR that is been taken here.

Why were you listing the 2016 politicians that were elected rather than those who were elected in 2020 for Galway West?

This project has been in the pipeline prior to 2016 so even that is also just a snapshot. The National Policy is changing as the years have gone by.

Apologies for the lack of clarity. I picked out the 2 FF candidates, 2 FG candidates and Grealish from 2020 who combined got 50%+ of the vote. They didn’t all get elected but they got more than 50% of the FPVs. All ran on a pro-Ring Road platform.

I can’t find any definitive information on what Sinn Fein think of the project from a quick Google and I know Catherine Connolly isn’t a massive fan, which completes the set of TDs elected in 2020.

Ah ok going for First Pref vote based on the first count in 2020. Get ya. (Crowe actually never made it in 2016)

SF are supporters of it, so you could have got your 4/5 if you just said elected reps in the 2020 election. Which probably looks better considering that 4/5 that you list are members of partys in the current Government who are responsible for this Climate Bill been adopted.

Catherine Connolly TD has been consistent for decades on it and its previous version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

@marno21 Sorry, but I have to call out that reasoning. You’re employing the same logical fallacy as the supporters of Brexit did in the UK, although I’m pretty sure that you’re not doing so deliberately, in the way they did.

Still, you cannot just derive support for the ring-road based on the first-preference votes given to election candidates. People have multiple reasons for voting, and candidates for major parties don’t stand on one single issue. Also, support for the project amongst those candidates ranged from “it’s better than doing nothing” to “it’s the best possible solution”.

... and on the other side of the ballot-box, voters are not so ideologically driven that they would boycott a candidate simply because of their stance on a road project. We have seen that people don’t boycott candidates even on much more emotive issues like abortion, where counties with sizeable objection to repeal still returned TDs who supported it.

As far as I can tell, there has been no well-conducted poll of Galway residents about this scheme, so there’s no justification for saying that “people in Galway” are either in favour of, or against the road.

My own, pure conjecture, opinion is that if you asked them, the majority of the people in Galway only want the traffic fixed, and don’t really care whether that would happen via M6 or via a greatly improved public-transport and cycling system that pulled more commuters off the existing roads, so long as it happened.

I also think that Galway City making their transport plan heavily dependent on M6 being built was at best ill-judged, and a worst a cynical exercise in kicking the can down the road.

That Brexit supporter point of view actually crossed my mind after I posted it so I was aware, but I think here that the Ring Road is an achievable outcome vs the unclear outcome of Brexit. I do take your point about people being in favour of fixing the traffic vs being specifically in favour of the road, but there’s a sizeable proportion of people who simply want a road based solution and aren’t particularly interested in PT/cycling (same as I am with Cork based road projects).

An important point as well is that it’s a very small proportion of Galway’s population who are expressing opinions about this project online. Most people aren’t posting on boards or tweeting about it so we’ll never know, but from the limited sample of people on Twitter I see, most people against the project are either Green Party members, environmental or the very pro cycling people you’d find on Twitter. This is, I hypothesise, a small proportion of the general Galway population.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

They should be boycotted this year and never get a cent of state funding again. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gallowglas

Always the rich snobby ones who hold it up for everyone else

• Advertisement

Wow. That throws a spanner in the works for sure, how many of the Racecourse Committee would be Galway Chamber members? Going back the ages they have been from Galway's Business Community.

The CEO of Galway Chamber has said that the opponents of the Galway City Ring Road are “not connected with reality”.

I think CEO Kenny Deery was formerly a banker in AIB so would certainly be mixing in the same circles as the Racecourse Committee.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Seriously? Anyone can take part in the planning process.

However to take a JR can take a lot of money because that is what it costs given that it essentially is form of legal action - losing can mean having to pay the other sides costs. However as money is a factor when undertaking a JR, most people simply accept the project at this point i.e. give up. However, if they take a JR, they are not holding it up for everyone else because the process hasn't been finalised. They are engaging in a legitimate planning process which has some time based constraints. Would you prefer a system where planning applications were forced upon the people without a chance to voice concerns? A system where councillors and TDs have the final say? Or where private companies are allowed to build whatever they want wherever they wish?

Most people simply don't. I don't think Friends of the Irish Environment would be referred to as rich or snobby. The owners of the racecourse presumably are rich but I've no idea if they are snobby.

Take a look at Intel in Leixlip - one person who often objects to planning applications there is their neighbour Thomas Reid. He is neither rich nor snobby. Any observations and appeals he has put forwsards were based on their merit. If his observation was valid (which it often was) then the project needs to be reviewed. This is a good system that allows people a voice. Despite Mr. Reid's observations and appeals and contrary to what is often touted when he submits an appeal, nobody in Intel lost their job!

Getting back to galway, what exactly in your view will the JR hold up for everyone else? Do you think Galway's commuters will be able to get to work quicker? Do you think traffic volumes will reduce?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

@marno21

An important point as well is that it’s a very small proportion of Galway’s population who are expressing opinions about this project online.

Most people aren’t posting on boards or tweeting about it so we’ll never know, but from the limited sample of people on Twitter I see, most people against the project are either Green Party members, environmental or the very pro cycling people you’d find on Twitter. This is, I hypothesise, a small proportion of the general Galway population.

I’d say it’s a vanishingly small proportion. People who care enough about something to post their opinion online are not representative of the general public, and that rule goes about a thousand times more for Twitter, which is overpopulated with self-appointed “activists” of all kinds. (Personally, my low tolerance for ill-informed hot-takes, vitriol and plain old bullshit, led me to delete Twitter around four years ago, and I never missed anything in my life less than Twitter)

--

It’s depressing to see that the Racecourse, whose lobbying against CPO added hundreds of millions to the construction costs of this project is now requesting a review of it. Cheeky f'kers.

True - very small % + or - would be online discussing it as can be seen here on Boards

It is surprising that Racecourse had to take this action - after all one can see the ARUP project offices for this project right from the Grandstand. Practically next door neighbors, hey didnt even need to drive, one can walk across the track to the Ring Road Project office.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Just on a point of information (because I remember you having a keen interest in administrative law) Galway Race Committee had their papers lodged 2 days before Friends of the Irish Environment CLG, pipping the expected favourite to the post, so to speak.

Perfect use of an obvious pun, I applaud you sir 👏

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Planning judicial reviews operate on a different plane of reality to other comparable legal actions. As long as there's an environmental angle, you're within the scope of the Aarhus Convention and your costs exposure is limited. As an example, in Klohn v. An Bord Pleanála [2021] IESC 51, a costs order which was measured at €86,000 against the unsuccessful applicant was reduced to €1,250 by the Supreme Court.

You'll find no shortage of expert solicitors who are willing to bring these cases on a no-foal, no-fee basis and a number of challenges to SHDs have even been crowdfunded (for the can of worms that opens up).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

How long do these reviews take on average?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭timmyntc

• Advertisement

How long is a piece of string? The most relevant comparator off the top of my head is the M28 case from Cork which was initiated in August 2018 and didn't finish in the High Court until 2018 before heading on to the Supreme Court, where leave to appeal was denied, in March 2021.

Both sets of proceedings are most likely bound for the Strategic Infrastructure Development list which is supposed to be a fast track process but I wouldn't expect things to move at breakneck speed in this instance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement