Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Daily Driver?

• 28-01-2022 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Anyone using a classic as their daily driver?

Love to get some advice on what might be a good fit for school runs, regular commutes (dublin — wicklow) and maybe even be capable of driving across a field now and then!

Budget between €15k — €20k, also open to importing from Europe, I drove a LHD here for years.

My heart says go to Germany and get a G-Class Benz but my head says it'll be a world of trouble, buy a 5-year-old Hyundai and shut-up.

If you know your cars — what do you say?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

• Registered Users Posts: 9 henryfool

That's beautiful! - I have a dog though... I couldn't put a dog in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Wow never seen that dealer before, some lovely stock there ..... might do the lotto tonight :)

OP, I assume you are aware that it's very difficult, if not impossible, to insure a classic without having a daily policy (assuming you are in the ROI)?

However, just last week I was at the bottle bank and a guy pulled up in a 126 500se so got chatting, he says he has it insured as a daily. I met a guy at a show once that made the same claim, so maybe it's possible, but for mine I found many insurers would not take me on as I have no garage (but have underground parking) and other would not let me drive the odd day into work.

I have my E200 W124 as my daily so I can have a classic policy. I'll be swapping over my daily to an 03 Golf and putting the E200 on the classic policy

Thanks for the advice... I hadn't considered the fact that I'd need to be insured on another car as well. I guess it's back to the drawing board for me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

my mate has a 1990 Merc insured as his daily driver, so there is no reason you cant daily a classic, you just cant have classic insurance without a main car.

Its also a really nice example of a very nice, useable classic car for daily transport ( dog and all ). It might even be for sale soon ( and in your budget ). But just for full disclosure, I also have the same model car which I use as my dog transport - so I am a bit of a fan.

Ok thanks for that, I wasn't expecting to get cheaper insurance, just cheaper tax hopefully, I've also heard some insurers won't insure cars over 20 years old, is this common? or is just a matter of shopping around?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

shop around - my friend made a few calls but as far as I recall he had a couple of options in the end.

I'll ask him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Absolutely adore the Mercedes TE, I grew up in one of those. It was my tiny grandmothers, I along with 10 of her children learned to drive in it. I have some fond memories and our TE was always there!

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

WOW that website has some very nice cars, I spotted the 1989 Mercedes-Benz 300 SE (see below) in "Past Sales" section of the website and thought, I recognize that car!! However when I zoomed in on the reg (89-D-120109), it's not it, it's out by 51 (89-D-120160), someone local to me owns this beauty, back in '89 they were rare to see, I only know one, a well known horse breeder near me had one with the reg of 90-TS-777...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Nick84

The following generation W140 can also be called a classic now. It has much more in common with the G-Class than the W126. Take a look, you may like it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It is possible to have a stand alone policy (at least it was) I had one through a broker. Insurance was similar to a modern car but there was the lower tax. I would say that a Saab 900, 9000 or a Volvo 240 would do the job and be reliable too if looked after. Buy a good one and you'd be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Nick84

Some other cars that could be interesting: a first-gen Range Rover or Rover SD1 with that V8, or if you're more into the 90s possibly a Lancia Thema, Alfa Romeo 166, Lexus LS, JZX100, or an E34 bimmer. All could be decent dailies.

Advertisement